1.3 million - does Michael Eavis know something we don't know ?

glasto-worker

Just now, Tr234 said:

Yeah, I'd already bagged mine but was trying for two others. After seeing it sell out I tried for a bit longer and managed to bag some. Card payment failure maybe? Not sure how it would work.

Wow, that was a stroke of luck. I can only think that it would have been a card payment failure.

22 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

I actually managed to bag 2 after it was officially sold out for the 2017 sale. Think it was about 7 minutes after

Yeah, that's why I added "much", after I remembered hearing of such tales every year ;) .  But it's so much rarer than the sites where you see batches of tickets coming back on sale for hours.

19 minutes ago, UEF said:

Even then, that supposes everyone tries once (or an equal number of times)

Try more often = increases your chances

Try for longer (hours rather than minutes) = increase your chances

Have a group trying for you = increase your chances

Be willing to use the resale = increase your chances

Add all 4 together and your likelihood of going approaches 99%

Hours?? Since when has the sale lasted for hours?

I think your 99% is much too generous. Sometimes you can put all that effort in and fail much more than 1 in 100 times.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

about 48 hours one year, long ago.

2004/5 I think? I remember the site was unresponsive most of that time.  I think I got mind sometime in the afternoon, possibly over the phone.

Unless you mean 2010?  I don't remember, but I think it was mentioned on here that it didn't sell out straight away.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

2004/5 I think? I remember the site was unresponsive most of that time.  I think I got mind sometime in the afternoon, possibly over the phone.

Unless you mean 2010?  I don't remember, but I think it was mentioned on here that it didn't sell out straight away.

it was probably around 2004/05 - where the website couldn't handle the traffic, and nor could the phones. The trick that year was using the international number.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was probably around 2004/05 - where the website couldn't handle the traffic, and nor could the phones. The trick that year was using the international number.

Yeah we did that but thought it was 2003. Tickets went on sale in the evening then didn’t they? I seem to recall being in the uni library all night 

1 minute ago, arteet said:

Yeah we did that but thought it was 2003. Tickets went on sale in the evening then didn’t they? I seem to recall being in the uni library all night 

Yeah, I think you might be right with 2003. They might have gone on sale at midday, maybe? 

All night is explained by the fact that some people were trying constantly for 2 nights. I was sat at my desk for nearly all that time as far as i recall.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah, I think you might be right with 2003. They might have gone on sale at midday, maybe? 

All night is explained by the fact that some people were trying constantly for 2 nights. I was sat at my desk for nearly all that time as far as i recall.

I remember getting up in the wee hours for another go to see if the site was any quieter (it wasn't). Fun times. 

49 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Someone could probably work out how many people were trying for tickets if they knew how many the system can take simultaneously before the queue kicks in. Whilst I agree it’s not 1.3 m I’d be amazed if only 250k want to go to Glastonbury every year.

That's not how the system works really. There's no actual queue, the system just lets a certain amount of traffic through at what we believe is probably a pre-determined and throttled rate well below the theoretical capacity. Without having access to the servers, there's no realistic way of telling how much traffic is shut out. Even then See/GFL won't have a sure way of knowing what percentage of those sessions shut out would've translated into a ticket sold.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I believe it was Friday around 6pm? It was my first Glastonbury, I eventually got tickets around half past Midnight. 

From the Glastonbury Festival website, 2003: Tickets sold out in under 24 hours making this year the fastest selling Glastonbury Festival. It was widely acclaimed as ‘the best yet’

1 hour ago, UEF said:

Even then, that supposes everyone tries once (or an equal number of times)

Try more often = increases your chances

Try for longer (hours rather than minutes) = increase your chances

Have a group trying for you = increase your chances

Be willing to use the resale = increase your chances

Add all 4 together and your likelihood of going approaches 99%

There is truth to that, although I don't think likelihood is as high as 99% for us lot, maybe 85% for the people who know what to expect compared with 50% for those who do not?

There is a lot to be said for how prepared you are and how hard you try. I have loads of browser sessions open, using multiple devices, the wife trying as well, card details already written down, familiarity with what the screens will look like when you get through, hammering F5 continuously. My chances must be a lot better than others not as familiar or as prepared for the carnage that is T-day

Someone I go with  tries at the same time, but has never got through, I have always been the one to get the tickets. I suspect I am just trying harder than he is on T day 

• Like 1

as above ... it always seems to be me that gets the tickets 13 times now  ... that cant just be down to luck ...I put it down to sheer determination and the ability to not need the toilet whilst tickets are on sale ... Ive no idea what my friends in the group are doing .. but odds on they won't be hammering f5 like me ... im just trying to recall if they have ever been successful !! although one year I won a competition and one year someone from efests got me them ... and then I got in :)

thanks efests for that one :) although I dont ever go for the bus tickets .. I have a little warm up try when they go on sale 

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2004 festival - 1st April, sold out in 24 hours.

2010 festival - 4th October, sold out in 12 hours.

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

2004 festival - 1st April, sold out in 24 hours.

2010 festival - 4th October, sold out in 12 hours.

Ah the 2010 festival  :wub:

Talking of which was the average temperature hotter during that festival or 2017's?

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Ah the 2010 festival  :wub:

Talking of which was the average temperature hotter during that festival or 2017's?

I'd like to know this - I'm sure it must have been hotter on the Wednesday of 2017, but that would of course push the average up over the course of the weekend. 2010 was more consistent.

Holy hell, this thread is giving me the fear already and T-day is a long way off. I've been so bad at getting tickets in the last few years, despite trying my arse off (I suspect it's because we are no longer in a large group).

I dont remember any cold points last time ... but then again my name is Crazyfool and I work in a freezer in a t-shirt and dont feel the cold very often, so maybe im not the best placed to comment :). The only day of notable heat last time was the wed as far as i remember , spraying people with iced water from portable shower in queue .... the rest i remember as warm and t-shirt weather with the only time the coat went on being briefly during hacienda classical and one early morning walking back to tent at about 3am 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, JoeyT said:

Is festival attendance in general declining? (glasto aside)

I'm aware Boomtown has sold out but not aware of any other UK based festivals which have.

Perhaps the volume / selection of festivals there are these days means the punters are spread out more.

I disagree, I think the popular festivals are changing

In my opinion, Glastonbury, Boomtown, Parklife are more popular than Reading, V/Rize etc - there's been a shift in popularity - these festivals are capturing an audience that the past 'big hitters' fail to grasp.

For example, those three are popular because they have gained a loyal crowd that go every year - Reading etc is completely dependant on booking acts to draw people in - it's not the festival itself that draws people in anymore

Well this thread has made feel more optimistic about this year's up coming T-Day. 

My first Glastonbury was 2009 and I got tickets pretty easily for for 10 and 11 too. 2013 didn't apply and missed out on the resale, 2014 got nowhere at all. 2015/16/17 got in on the coach sale all on my phone on the commute home. My friends a wanted to get in the general sale in 17 and it was the first year I had ever blanked out on even getting the holding page.

Got everyone going for the coach sale first this year just to increase the chances of getting in.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I remember being absolutely freezing during the day at a couple of points, then shortly afterwards the temperature would soar 

I had that problem, really weird.  All of a sudden I'd be really hot and start sweating profusely, then have to lie down for 10 minutes, then I'd get really cold, and then I'd be fine after a milkshake. No idea what was going on there :lol: