1.3 million - does Michael Eavis know something we don't know ?

glasto-worker

on this Michael Eavis said ' before I moved it was 5,000 and its now 1.3 million '

Now I have never heard this figure quoted before

its being repeated

Come Together: The Rise of the Festival
Sky Arts (122)    Thursday 14th June 2018 - 22:45 to 00:15 

Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and the Isle of Wight in the 60s to modern events such as Glastonbury. (New, Stereo, Widescreen, 2018)

well worth catching

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What does this number refer to?

well its not clear as the interview was cut up so they edited out the question 

he could have been asked ' how many people try to buy tickets ? ' 

or 'how many people attend ? '

try to watch it and see what you think.

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well its not clear as the interview was cut up so they edited out the question 

he could have been asked ' how many people try to buy tickets ? ' 

or 'how many people attend ? '

try to watch it and see what you think.

I have downloaded it (not watched yet), but I think that's roughly the number of people registered to buy tickets...

There was a thing last year that said every 1 in 7 get them... I can't find the link (sorry!).

Edited by vintagelaureate

48 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I have downloaded it (not watched yet), but I think that's roughly the number of people registered to buy tickets...

There was a thing last year that said every 1 in 7 get them... I can't find the link (sorry!).

What does "it was 5000 before I moved" mean then?

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What does "it was 5000 before I moved" mean then?

No idea... just guesswork from me. 

Could the 1.3 million relate to money raised or audience?

Who knows!? I will watch the programme at some point and see if there is any context.

As mentioned above I guess the 1.3 million refers to the number of registrations. I am not sure how many of those would be multiple registrations or inactive registrations, for people who go (or don't go) one year and then don't try again. I cant remember if/when registrations lapse any more, I didnt think they lapsed any more? Divide 1.3 million by 138000 and it would indicate 1 in 9 chance, if all 1.3 million were actively trying for tickets each year.

I dont believe there is a 1 in 7 chance of getting a ticket. I feel its a lot better than that (1 in 2 or better?) having been lucky enough to bag a ticket every year for the last 10 Glastos. The chance of me doing that every year at odds of 1 in 7 would be 300 million to 1 ! I need to be buying lottery tickets if that was the case. I do try bloody hard each year to bag them though

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say it's waaay better than that, based on the numbers here who get tickets and those who don't.

I'd say it's better than 2 in 3.

While I agree that it feels like a large majority on here do get tickets - to an extent that's got to be because people on here know the score, and are likely to go all out for tickets. Whereas there's likely plenty of people out there that will roll out of bed at half 9, check twitter and notice that their mates have got Glastonbury tickets - then try the site a couple times, think fuck that, and give up.

I think the percentage of moaning ticketless people is far higher on facebook/twitter and presumably the percentage of those that gave it a half arsed attempt but aren't bothered enough to moan is higher still.

Obviously the variable we don't know is how the Festival come to their numbers. It could be unique browser sessions, or active registrations - both of which will likely have a good number of duplicates in them.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We're not normal though.

i agree we're not normal, but don't forget that one of a group gets the tickets the others give up - when they might get thru if they kept trying.

So while the 'trying harder' we do from here does gives an advantage, it's ultimately not as great as a person might first imagine.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I think the percentage of moaning ticketless people is far higher on facebook/twitter and presumably the percentage of those that gave it a half arsed attempt but aren't bothered enough to moan is higher still.

if they don't try hard across the whole sales period they're reducing their own odds and increasing the odds for those who try hard. :)

5 minutes ago, incident said:

While I agree that it feels like a large majority on here do get tickets - to an extent that's got to be because people on here know the score, and are likely to go all out for tickets. Whereas there's likely plenty of people out there that will roll out of bed at half 9, check twitter and notice that their mates have got Glastonbury tickets - then try the site a couple times, think fuck that, and give up.

Obviously the variable we don't know is how the Festival come to their numbers. It could be unique browser sessions, or active registrations - both of which will likely have a good number of duplicates in them.

Ultimately, you can never know how close the festival are to failing to sell out until a year like 2008 or 2009 - even though 2009 sold out comfortably without having to shift tickets through other channels, they didn't all go on the day.  I'm sure there were many thousands of additional registrations on both of those years.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if they don't try hard across the whole sales period they're reducing their own odds and increasing the odds for those who try hard. :)

Oh absolutely, and that's why I'm fine with the process. But from a numbers perspective they'll still count as an attempt.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ultimately, you can never know how close the festival are to failing to sell out until a year like 2008 or 2009 - even though 2009 sold out comfortably without having to shift tickets through other channels, they didn't all go on the day.  I'm sure there were many thousands of additional registrations on both of those years. 

True. 2010 didn't sell out in the initial rush either - there was the usual 9am scramble, then once everyone making an effort had secured their tickets it sold out 4 or so hours later once the wider population realised that they could get tickets without a military level plan.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Oh absolutely, and that's why I'm fine with the process. But from a numbers perspective they'll still count as an attempt.

It's not 'attempts' that's the relevant stat. It's the number of tickets available against the number of people wanting tickets.

Could Glasto sell another 50% of tickets (to be my 2 in 3)? I'm far from sure it could even do that based on the number of tickets other festivals are able to sell.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

It's not 'attempts' that's the relevant stat. It's the number of tickets available against the number of people wanting tickets.

Could Glasto sell another 50% of tickets (to be my 2 in 3)? I'm far from sure it could even do that based on the number of tickets other festivals are able to sell.

Yeah, so despite having figures on "number of attempts" and "active registrations", the only number that counts is "number of people who would have bought a ticket if they could".  And that's something that Eavis can't quote confidently in an interview.  The only thing you can do is look at the wider market and take a guess on how much stronger demand is for Glastonbury, using the other numbers as very weak supporting evidence.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, so despite having figures on "number of attempts" and "active registrations", the only number that counts is "number of people who would have bought a ticket if they could".  And that's something that Eavis can't quote confidently in an interview.  The only thing you can do is look at the wider market and take a guess on how much stronger demand is for Glastonbury, using the other numbers as very weak supporting evidence.

I forget exactly what was said to me now, but I've been told what I believe to be false numbers (by a huge amount) about the numbers trying for tickets on ticket day.

I think those 'didn't sell out straight away' years give it away quite clearly - cos I don't reckon a whole third* of the people who normally want to go suddenly didn't.

(* that's what it would have to be if my 2 in 3 was accurate - so actually, I reckon the chances are even better than that).

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I forget exactly what was said to me now, but I've been told what I believe to be false numbers (by a huge amount) about the numbers trying for tickets on ticket day.

I think those 'didn't sell out straight away' years give it away quite clearly - cos I don't reckon a whole third* of the people who normally want to go suddenly didn't.

(* that's what it would have to be if my 2 in 3 was accurate - so actually, I reckon the chances are even better than that).

I usually have at least 3 devices, with multiple browsers on the go on T-day.  Could that kind of practice account for the inflated numbers if each session is counted?  I reckon I can easily be trying in 7 browsers sessions.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I usually have at least 3 devices, with multiple browsers on the go on T-day.  Could that kind of practice account for the inflated numbers if each session is counted?  I reckon I can easily be trying in 7 browsers sessions.

I reckon the very high numbers I've been told are accurate numbers for something, but not the "people trying to buy tickets" they were told to me as.

I guess that's cos someone has misunderstood what they've been told.

3 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Winds me up when you look on Facebook and see loads of people moaning that 'real fans' couldn't get tickets then point to 3/4 tickets on Viagogo. For example with Arctic Monkeys at Royal Albert Hall it was a ballot - 1 chance, then went to public (2nd chance), then after the public went on sale tickets kept going back on for about 6 hours. Then about a week later more appeared on there. Then on the day there were tickets going on sale all day. 

Generally speaking - if you want to go to an event and are willing to actually try then 9/10 you can do it. I've got tickets to every gig i've ever wanted to go to (with the exception of Glasto one year - but even then I got through on coach tickets but decided against it as it was a bit of a way to travel). 

Main tips are that when it says 'tickets currently unavailable' it isn't sold out just normally other people have them in their basket and to keep refreshing even after it sells out as cards get declined, new allocations get released, some are held back etc etc.

That doesn't seem to happen much with Glastonbury, thus the frustration when the tickets sell out after you've entered your details and hit submit.