Download campervan cock-up, anyone else affected?

Kath222

I haven’t attended Download before and so was a little unsure about how to go about booking a campervan space in the disabled camping area.  I am disabled festival goer, a wheelchair user.  I bought my tickets the day they were released and enquired about booking my campervan space.  I had decided to save up the £600 it would cost to hire a campervan for the long weekend.  Due to my disability staying in a tent is difficult, plus I need somewhere to charge my electric scooter.  A campervan on the disabled site seemed ideal.  When I booked my tickets I enquired about booking the campervan space and I was told not to buy a general campervan space but to wait for the release of the disabled spaces.  I then received an email in March asking me if I required camping and that my requirements would be noted and met when I arrived at the festival site.  I responded saying that I needed a campervan space.  I thought that had been my request for the campervan space.  I received no further communication until I received a car park voucher.  I thought it was a little odd and so I rang the download Access line.  They were unhelpful to say the least.  They said that they had sent me an email with a link to purchase a campervan space.   I never received such an email.  I have saved every email that I received and have gone back through my email account and there is no such email there.  I requested that they forward a copy of the email to me, of course nothing has arrived.  I am now left with a campervan I have spent almost £600 to hire and 2 tickets.  Your To say that I am furious is an understatement and the only suggestion the Access team could make was ‘why don’t I stay in a tent’.  I found their attitude curt, unhelpful and dismissive.  I’ve looked forward to this event for many months and saved hard to make it affordable.  I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience. 

Hi Both,

Thank you so much for your responses.  I've now found a campsite.  This does mean taxis and a lot more hassle than what I had imagined, but it is better than nothing.  I think that Festival Republic need to reconsider the processes they have in place for the issue of campervan tickets for the disabled.  If we had  not found an alternative it would have been a costly disappointment.  I'm not going to let this go and will challenge them on their processes and the way that they dealt with my complaint.  Thank you for the link to Attitude is Everything.  I've taken a look and this looks like a great organisation.  I will contact them next week and see if they are able to support me with my challenge to Festival Republic.

Many Thanks

Kath