All Points East Festival 2019

8 hours ago, BlackFoxx said:

Julien Baker and Bon Iver were both excellent and also really enjoyed Tallest Man On Earth so thanks for the recommendation earlier in the thread! Didn't really think RY X were anything special and Snail Mail let down my high expectations a little bit but I'd be willing to give them another go in a different setting as I love their songs on record.

I'm glad you enjoyed my recommendation, he was superb wasn't he! I love him.

I also think I must have got lucky with Bon Over - no talkers at all. I thought it was a staggeringly good set personally. Blood Bank was immense.

Other than those two, I really enjoyed Charlie Cunningham, thought Kokoko, Matilda Homer, and Gently Tender were decent. Liked the bit of Ezra Furman that I caught and thought Snail Mail was boring as hell and seems to have only one song that she plays on repeat.

Overall a great day, but with two of my top ten artists on the bill that was always likely. 

Seeing as that was the first time those songs have ever been played in public, I'm surprised about the mixed reaction to ending the show that way on here. It was unusually, but what were you all expecting? All the big-hitter songs had already been played.

Just now, grayfitz said:

Seeing as that was the first time those songs have ever been played in public, I'm surprised about the mixed reaction to ending the show that way on here. It was unusually, but what were you all expecting? All the big-hitter songs had already been played.

I was personally waiting for The Wolves, For Emma and/or Beth/Rest.

Any of the above would have been a much better ending that just listening to recordings of two new songs. 

2 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

I must've missed where they played flume or stacks then ? but nah I just think if you're going to play new songs actually play them 

26 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

The 22, a Million stuff was great but finishing with Flume, Stacks or pretty much anything else from the first two albums would've been amazing. I wasn't hugely expectant of that having checked previous setlists, but there was clearly time to do so. He just chose not to and to show us something from YouTube instead. Pretty bizarre I'd say, especially for a festival crowd. 

37 minutes ago, JHad said:

The 22, a Million stuff was great but finishing with Flume, Stacks or pretty much anything else from the first two albums would've been amazing. I wasn't hugely expectant of that having checked previous setlists, but there was clearly time to do so. He just chose not to and to show us something from YouTube instead. Pretty bizarre I'd say, especially for a festival crowd. 

Yeah, I reckon 'bizzare' is the right word. I was hoping it was something to play to the crowd instead of silence before they came back out for maybe a 1-song encore (I know there was a gap before Holocene, but still). I don't buy the 'they'd played the big ones' line - Wolves being the particularly obvious one left, especially considering it's been played at almost every gig this year. Even ending on those 2 songs live would've been baffling, not being live even more so. 

Despite this I thought it was pretty fantastic, especially Blood Bank (I didn't realise it was so well known with it not being on an album but it got a huge response), Creature Fear and Holocene, which was absolutely beautiful. 

Went Saturday. Only saw 4 acts but enjoyed them all.

Jade Bird was good, crowd seemed interested too. 

The Vaccines, probably the set of the day for me, a lot of fun and crowd were up for it. Singing along to even the newer singles.

Maisie Peters was the surprise of the day for me. Such a fun set.

Mumford and Sons were very good too although crowd around me seemed to talk through much of the newer stuff.

Only slight complaint about the fest itself was lack of directions (may have just been me). Struggled to find way to stages at times.

would probably not go back again just because it’s quite a trek for me. Unless the line up is too good to miss.

Enjoyed Snail Mail, Julien Baker and Gwenno. The queue for the Jagerhaus wasn't too bad as it kept moving as people wandered in to check it out then exited, but having the stage half facing a tiny area inside and half facing part of an outdoor "courtyard" was bizarre. Glad I am not the only one who found the talking during Bon Iver really annoying, a bit like for Bjork last year, as I thought I was just getting grumpy in my old age!

Just got back from a hectic weekend of celebrating Liverpools victory

BMTH on Friday were incredible, don't care if it didn't look busy from the back, it allowed me to get near the front where the party was at. Seen them 10+ times and this was their best. Would have liked Crucify Me to be included in the set but apart from that very solid setlist

Architects also killed it and Run the Jewels were amazing as per, didn't want to leave but was very keen on seeing Architects kick off

All in all a great festival and was easy to get to the bar unlike slam dunk from the weekend before. On a separate note the VIP area was completely pointless and the AMEX area served little purpose

Weekend 2 was good - still some sound problems here and there, everything definitely a lot quieter and muddier than the previous year but nothing like the problems we had for The Strokes.   They added a (small) speaker stack to the left hand side of the main stage as well so clearly picked up on the sound issues people were having on that side.

Friday

Bring Me The Horizon - They were great, really stepped up to deliver a headline-worthy set.  Great videos, energy, song choices.   A bit of obvious miming here and there but overall a really great pop show.

Run The Jewels - Always great

Nothing But Thieves - Not my thing but they are good at what they do, one of the biggest non-headline crowds I saw of the festival and most people seemed into them

Girli - Budget Charli XCX.  Smaller crowd than I expected and some painful vocals but good fun

Idles - Shame the set was so short but ace as ever

Yonaka - The album's a bit dull but they're decent live, good sized crowd as well

Alice Glass - Really enjoyed this, the solo stuff is great.  Just a shame that it was a bit of a flat crowd

Scarlxrd - He lets the backing track do a LOT of the work, doesn't he?  Would work better in a tent but great energy

Tillie - Not my thing at all

Saturday

Mumford & Sons - They get a lot of stick on here but I think they're a great live band.  Not as good as the Reading headline set but still very good.   The unplugged bit fell a bit flat, the crowd didn't seem particularly interested in that.   Was surprised by how popular the 3rd album songs were.   This seemed to be the 2nd busiest day despite/because of the giveaways and the vibe wasn't as great as the other days.   Definitely attracted a few too many undesirables who just wanted to act like dickheads all day.

Leon Bridges - So good, great to see such a big crowd for him.

Dizzee Rascal - Caugh the 1st half before heading to Leon Bridges and the crowd was just awful, full of London posers who had no interest in the actual music.   Very unpleasant vibe.   He was good though but didn't enjoy this as much as previous times seeing him, was happy to leave for Leon.

The Vaccines - I know it's basic indie but I always have a great time at their festival shows, big crowd for them and the biggest singalongs of the weekend

Villagers - Very small and uninterested crowd.  Felt like maybe 20 of us were paying attention and the rest were using it as Champions League pre-drinking and chat time.   Had to move around 4 or 5 times to get away from dickheads but Villagers were great - would have loved a longer set from them on one of the other days with a different audience.

The Staves - Only know a few tunes but they were really good and crowd actually very attentive.  Here for the criticism of the moaning residents as well!

Gretta Ray - Pleasant stuff,  a bit like those 00's singer songwriters like Vanessa Carlton/Michelle Branch/Dana Glover etc that I have a soft spot for

Dizzy - Didn't know these before but a really pleasant way to open the day

Sunday

Bon Iver - Absolutely beautiful and my favourite headliner of the whole thing.   I anticipated there being a lot of talkers so got there early and as far forward as I could (which I don't usually do these days) and ended up around people who were into it.  A few talkers/shouters around but nothing too distracting.  I just saw the 2 new songs at the end as "bonuses" really - the set itself was beautiful although I'd have liked a few more from the 1st album.

John Grant - Smallest sub headliner crowd of the weekend I think.  Very few people seemed to know who he was but he won them all over by the end.  Great, varied set.  Was stood next to Jamie T who was being a knobhead through most if it - he did not enjoy it at all, to the extent that he made a point of refusing to even clap.  His loss.

Ezra Furman - Loved it.  Was a strange crowd - very polite and attentive but no energy.   Everyone stood completely still.  It was great to have a set not being talked all over but Bon Iver fans do not like to danc,e do they?

Phosphorescent - Really dreamy stuff in the sunshine

Julien Baker - Anyone know why she cut almost 10 mins from her set?  I've seen a lot of people moaning about sound problems for her but was fine where I was.   Crowd completely silent and appreciate as well which is great.

Snail Mail - Bit iffy.  Absolute car crash at the start and then smashed the last 2 songs.

Mathilda Homer - Nice voice but a bit basic for me.   Listened to a lot of 19 and Frank and going for a Matalan version of that.

Anyone else not heard yet regarding refunds for Strokes, been almost their max of 10 days now ? Will have to send another email I guess if you heard back did you add all your details etc and what email did you send to? I used customer@allpointseastfestival.com

35 minutes ago, gfa said:

Anyone else not heard yet regarding refunds for Strokes, been almost their max of 10 days now ? Will have to send another email I guess if you heard back did you add all your details etc and what email did you send to? I used customer@allpointseastfestival.com

They sent me one email which was a generic response, you've got the correct email address.

Their customer service is god-awful. I'm still waiting for a follow up from the original email I sent.

• Upvote 1

I ended up with four free tickets for Bon Iver rather than a refund. They were emailed to me after complaining using that customer@allpointeastfestival.com email address.

No use to me as I live up north but my mates had 'em. Would have rather the refund for that Strokes shit show though.