All Points East Festival 2019

This was by far the best day of the entire festival for me. Ticked a lot of people I wanted to see (Snail Mail, Julien Baker, Ezra Furman, KOKOKO and Mac Demarco) off my list and none of them disappointed. Bon Iver was a bit eh so left early but if anything it does me a favour as I've got work tomorrow.

Bring Me The Horizon were absolutely phenomenal on Friday, I've seen them a handful of times now and this was by far the best even surpassing their incredible Royal Albert Hall show which was something special.

A great second weekend overall and can't wait to come back next year. 

Good day overall but I preferred the Björk day I went to last year.

Started with Snail Mail. Seen them a fair few times now and they were reliably good without blowing me away. Pristine got a great reception which was nice. I love the band on record but I don’t think they’re the best live band yet. 7/10

Julien Baker was great - although was a bit disappointed she didn’t play rejoice. 8/10

Caught most of Steve Davis’ DJ set which was quality! Played a Snapped Ankles song which was amazing! 8/10

The queues to get in the Jagerhaus stage were  ridiculous though. It wasn’t busy in there but you still had to wait 20 mins to get in. Ended up missing Westerman and Gwenno due to the queue. 

Really enjoyed the Tallest Man on Earth - much better performer that I had imagined and all the songs went down great! 8/10. 

Managed to get food before it got really busy. Between 6-8 to the queues for food looked incredibly long so not sure how people managed with that...

Saw most of John Grant. Not listened to him much but really enjoyed it. Was a lot more electronic that I imagined. Reminded me a lot of Pictish Trail! Queen of Denmark is a fantastic song. 8/10

Was right of the front for Bon Iver. Was great to hear blood bank which I wasn’t expecting! I really enjoyed the set but thought it fell short somehow. The ending was awful in particular - what the hell was that? They played two new songs but without actually playing them live - just walked off the stage and then played the songs like you were just listening in Spotify, very weird. 7/10

Sound was very good on all stages I thought so no issues there. Overall maybe the music just wasn’t as good as the day I went to last year. Solid performances from everyone without anyone blowing me away.

They definitely need to change the Jagerhaus stage next year - did anyone else have issues? 

It'll be the last time I go and see someone like that at a festival day. I do not understand it. If you want to talk through the entire gig just fuck off somewhere else. Was the same for The National last year. I enjoyed the hour of Bon Iver I saw anyway, decided to turn it in and leave people to their discussions. 

14 minutes ago, Riggins said:

It'll be the last time I go and see someone like that at a festival day. I do not understand it. If you want to talk through the entire gig just fuck off somewhere else. Was the same for The National last year. I enjoyed the hour of Bon Iver I saw anyway, decided to turn it in and leave people to their discussions. 

Agreed. The crowd near me for Bon Iver was atrocious. Just chatting, drunken pillocks - I just don’t understand why people have no sense of social norms at festivals. 

21 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Was the same when I was him at The Apollo last year. Just non stop talking. I was at the back of the venue though

Thought it was really good today. Julien Baker was quite special. 

Luckily didn't have many talkers near me for Bon Iver. Though they were great.

Was quite far back and thought the sound was spot on.

I know it was only a video, but I did like the sound of the first new track.

Ezra Furman was brilliant and beautiful and I love him, as always. Honestly had no idea what John Grant does, though he was a folk guy, so that set was a wild surprise and honestly a great time. Bon Iver didn't really do it for me, not sure why as I love the albums, the crowd had a bad vibe (yes, the damn talkers) and the performance had some issues I thought, but maybe I was just grumpy by then. 

Such a shame about the sound this year. Gone downhill across the board, BST level at times, presumably because of nimby tossers making a fuss about how great it was last year. 

Julien Baker and Bon Iver were both excellent and also really enjoyed Tallest Man On Earth so thanks for the recommendation earlier in the thread! Didn't really think RY X were anything special and Snail Mail let down my high expectations a little bit but I'd be willing to give them another go in a different setting as I love their songs on record.

Snail mail and ry x I thought were just okay, Julien Baker and mac DeMarco pretty good and ezra furman excellent. 

Where I was for bon iver didnt have a chatting issue and thoroughly enjoyed, was chuffed with the setlist as got a few songs I didnt see at hammersmith but the ending was just a stupid choice? Why not actually play the songs? Also quite surprised the new stuff sounded like it could've been straight off the last album 

Mac Demarco was excellent, probably the best I’ve seen him. 

I thought Bon Iver were really good, wish they did a couple more songs from their first album but the setlist was pretty good overall, didn’t have any issues with the crowd talking where I was though, but did notice a lot of people leaving after skinny love 

Thought Bon Iver was pretty good, no problems with talkers and the sound was great where I was but it did feel a bit flat (apart from Blood Bank and Skinny Love). Enjoyed it and would see him again but not sold on his style being a festival choice. 

Got to Ezra Furman a bit late but great as usual and John Grant was a nice surprise

Agreed about the talkers - wherever we were all day on any stage they were relentless up until Mac/Bon. I was on the verge of bellowing "shut the **** up", but didn't want to cause any issues for the people I was with. Also the dust too, but then again it could've been ankle deep mud! 

I really wanted to see Gwenno (chose to miss her at EotR because we had tickets for the autumn, then she cancelled) in the Jagerhaus and would've also liked to have popped in for Steve Davis and Westerman, but there was no chance of getting in there. I was surprised how busy it was in general, given the amount of ways they'd been trying to offload tickets. 

I was pleasantly surprised by Phosphorescent and KOKOKO and predictably enjoyed the bits I saw of Julien Baker, Ezra Furman and John Grant. Chose to focus on seeing Mac and Bon Iver, as I hadn't seen either. We found a good spot near the mixing desk for Mac and really enjoyed his set, even if it was comical at times! As an added bonus, Ezra was dancing through it right behind us. As for Bon Iver, I was quite expectant given the sound was instantly way better than anything else all day. I enjoyed the set, but it could've been so much better! What happened to most of the songs from For Emma? What happened to the touted special guests? What happened to the final 20 minutes of the set? And what in the heck was that video ending about?! Nobody around us could quite believe that was it and there seemed to be a general sense of bewilderment. All in all, we were happy we hadn't paid to get in. Torn about whether we'd go again to be honest, certainly as paying punters.