All Points East Festival 2019

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

My current plan is to see KOKOKO > Snail Mail > Julien Baker > Tallest Man > Westerman > John Grant > Gwenno > Bon Iver. 

Would really recommend giving Westerman a listen if you haven’t before! 

Thanks for the Westerman tip. Loving it.

57 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I am :) buzzing for it also, driving down from Nottingham

Wanted to see IDLES, WSS & Architects for a long time and BMTH always put on a good show. - SWS was a nice last min surprise too

I’m driving down from Lincolnshire so not too far from you. 

I’m really excited for IDLES too. Joy... was one of my favourite albums of last year and even though it’s a short set it should be great. I’m also looking forward to WSS and the material up to and including You Are We as I think the new album is a stinker. Architects will be excellent as always. If you’re getting there early enough, I’d really recommend seeing Lotus Eater. They’re so great. A really young and heavy band who are picking up quite a bit of attention :) 

51 minutes ago, jump said:

With you now that makes 7 people going in total :P

Yeah I'm going. I'm really looking forward to Black Futures and Idles even with their short set times.

It's annoying as I'm mostly going for my girlfriend who's a big fan of Alice Glass, Nothing But Thieves & Run The Jewels (there's a few acts I like but if it weren't cheap I'd skip it) but between getting off work and having to go home early to inject our diabetic cat she's literally just going to see 2 bands plus my mates aren't coming till after work so I'm spending most of the day at the fest it on my own.

Shouldn’t be much of a queue at the bar then with just the 7 of us :P 

My girlfriend is also a big fan of NBT so I’m going to have to watch them too. 

I’m really anticipating this BMTH set. 

15 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Primavera is a far superior festival, definitely not just a replacement but I see what you mean. Will be going for the third time next year if all goes to plan. 

I initially planned on going this year but decided against it in favour of APE this year, what a mistake.

The lineup for BMTH doesn't really have any clashes for me. I haven't seen Architects in about 6 years and I think I'm done seeing Run the Jewels at festivals to be honest.

Bon Iver there's less so but I'll probably just do the North Stage all day and then see Bon Iver.

I'm going to Glastonbury so chose The Strokes day at APE as a bonus.  I had an amazing time watching The Strokes.  Absolutely amazing and what a setlist - they were IMO considerably better and engaged (esp Julian) than last time I saw them at Primavera 2015.  I got pretty near the front so didn't notice sound issues (apart from the obvious mic failure during Is This It).  A few guys in the crowd were a wee bit aggro as I made my way closer to the stage but that's not a big deal and not specific to APE I don't think.  Sorry to hear there was fighting at the front of the Raconteurs.  Maybe the same punters.

Fat White Family appeared to phone in their set.  Parquet Courts handled the big stage well.  With hindsight I think Jarvis' setlist is almost willfully obscure and I don't understand why he isn't even performing the best of his solo stuff.  I loved seeing the big man but the music probably wasn't that good.  After that the Jack Daniels kicked in (security had blatantly seen the plastic bottle down my shorts but didn't stop me, nice of them) and I idly watched Interpol (who sounded tight enough I thought) and wandered about pretty drunk for a while getting a few things to eat and trying to sort myself out for The Strokes!  I would have liked to have seen Gruff Rhys but wasn't organized or sober enough - did anybody see him? 

As someone else has noted, The Strokes day line up seems overall to have been incredibly "stacked" - to the cost of the other days - Raconteurs could probably have buoyed CATQ attendance somewhat.

Overall having now been to 3 APE days I would say it's a bonus if you are a London resident but the setting, weather, presentation and vibe of Primavera blow it away.  It's not even close, and I don't think it ever could be.

Edited by Johndenis
  • Like 1

Feel like this really says something regarding BMTH. Wonder how busy Christine will be as people who want to see here will probably not be too interested in the cure. Also Two Door above Snow Patrol stuck out to me, literally this weekend they were snow patrol's support in their hometown. Damn good lineup so sad i'm not going.

image.thumb.png.4b4766a003b9188c92eb1de8662c7ffd.png

edit - also johnny marr the 3rd (4th including interpol) down above a headliner wow. I do have to say its good to see Christine headlining as i've heard only good reviews from her APE Show

Edited by gfa

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I’m driving down from Lincolnshire so not too far from you. 

I’m really excited for IDLES too. Joy... was one of my favourite albums of last year and even though it’s a short set it should be great. I’m also looking forward to WSS and the material up to and including You Are We as I think the new album is a stinker. Architects will be excellent as always. If you’re getting there early enough, I’d really recommend seeing Lotus Eater. They’re so great. A really young and heavy band who are picking up quite a bit of attention :) 

Shouldn’t be much of a queue at the bar then with just the 7 of us :P 

My girlfriend is also a big fan of NBT so I’m going to have to watch them too. 

I’m really anticipating this BMTH set. 

All sounds great! I can see IDLES having a big crowd, little surprised they're on so early/ don't have a bigger slot.

Really excited for Architects and feel similar Re WSS, hopefully play older stuff. - Wonder if BMTH will do silence speaks?

Gave Lotus Eater's Social Hazard a listen and rated it a lot, but sadly don't think the person I'm going with wants to go in until 3ish, will that be an OK time to get in for IDLES do you think?

Not a fan of NBT myself, but ik people who like them and say they're good live

Hoping BMTH set will be full of nostalgia 

1 minute ago, maxdillon7 said:

will all points east have to drop Huawei as one of their main sponsors (if the festival makes it to) next year?  cos last year they had Samsung, and didn’t know whether another sponsorship loss/swap would be a nail in the coffin?

{the question is in light of Huawei’s potential phone ban in the UK}

I don't think the festival is going anywhere as some have already said. A lot of money and investment to get the licencing for the site.

1 minute ago, maxdillon7 said:

i agree, but i think some people are concerned that there isn’t gonna be a return on that investment, if tickets are gonna be given out for free. 

The question was mainly to do with Huawei having to pull out anyway, and whether that’ll have much of an effect  

People said the same about BST a few years back and that's still going strong. God knows what contract they have with Huawei but I doubt the festival's in any danger, deep pockets behind it.

3 hours ago, DarthSaul said:

@Guy Incognito @PresentlyTense@Rico_Pliskin thanks for the recommendations guys, been enjoying most of them this morning. (not sure about the tallest man on earth though) 

Listen to his album The Wild Hunt. If it doesn't do it for you, I wouldn't bother. But he's one of my absolute favourites.

42 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Probably not going to be replacements for acts who have dropped out at this point are there? Would be nice if there was rather than big gaps in the schedule but I guess it’s very short notice.

They could move people around and get someone new lower down in the lineup. Massive gaps would just be horrendous. 

Edited by aidenlangan95

43 minutes ago, Shikari20 said:

Anyone who won tickets for bring me heard anything yet?? Bit of a shambles this APE stuff is isn’t it 

I won tickets for the Strokes and was told I'd be on the guestlist.   Turned up at the box office and they knew nothing about it.   Took over an hour of arguing my case before they eventually let me in to get rid of me.  There was a lot of back and forth between different members of staff and trying to get hold of Fender (the competition providers). They agreed that I'd won and was on a list but said they didn't yet have a physical ticket for me as Fender had not yet "sent down" the tickets.  

If you've won a competition, I'd chase up whoever you won it with for details in advance.

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Is there anybody else on here who is going to the BMTH day on Friday? I’m stupidly excited for it. 

Yeah, looking forward to it. Idles and RTJ are the two reasons I'm there, but I'll check what's on elsewhere if I'm on site early enough. BMTH haven't ever really done much for me, but I guess this is probably the set to see if that's gonna change.