All Points East Festival 2019

41 minutes ago, jump said:

Kerrang promotes a lot stuff tho. I saw The Interrupters on the cover a few weeks ago but I wouldn't think to myself they are the same as BMTH or NBT.

I'd expect they'd have loads of crossover, especially at their commercial peak on TTS. It's fairly bland, radio friendly rock music that generally appeals to a young audience and it's usually these types of bands that they take on tour. I have no idea what you mean by "casual metal" though. 

Edited by Steve1000
NBT, not the interrupters btw

1 hour ago, mpdow2 said:

do we have a consensus at all about whether we need to leave John Hopkins early for a good Chems spot (there is a 15 min gap between JH finish and Chems start). You really don’t need to be that close for Chems but you don’t want to be at the back with the talkers. Decisions think I’m leaning towards missing last 15 of jopkins. Group of 10 prob makes that a necessity :(

Just going to duck out of JH ten minutes early, 25 minutes is ample to cross the site and get a good spot! 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'd expect they'd have loads of crossover, especially at their commercial peak on TTS. It's fairly bland, radio friendly rock music that generally appeals to a young audience and it's usually these types of bands that they take on tour. I have no idea what you mean by "casual metal" though. 

If that's the case then why are so many people going yes to NBT but no to BMTH even though they are so "crossover" and BMTH are the bigger act? I don't find boiling it down to they are both guitar rock and therefore it's the same audience really works.

Edited by jump

1 minute ago, jump said:

If that's the case then why are so many people going yes to NBT but no to BMTH even though they are so "crossover" and BMTH are the bigger act? I don't find boiling it down to they are both guitar rock and therefore it's the same audience really works.

Are so many people going yes to NBT?

For the record I like BMTH, NBT and RTJ. NBT have been at every festival I've been to for the last few years so I'm not too interested in seeing them, I'm mainly going for BMTH but Architects and RTJ are second on my list. I've got a few friends coming, all to see BMTH mainly. I think the undercard fits really well especially with their new album and how they're trying to encompass a wider range of genres, whether you like the album or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jump said:

Would you have bought the tixs if hadn't have won them tho ;) 

Not at full price but I couldn't have afforded that even if it had a great headliner.

I think the lineups they've gotten for these are well made across the board, really, they're varied while still making for a cohesive day of music. Seems daft to look at them and go 'this would be better if everyone on the lineup sounded exactly like the headliner'. Sales wise the problem is that BMTH and C&TQ just aren't big enough draws to headline events like this and sell them well. 

• Upvote 1

I think the BMTH lineup is great but I suppose I'm not the target audience.   I wouldn't ordinarily go to one of their shows - I've seen them at Glastonbury and their secret set at Reading last year.   I basically just like the 3 pop albums and anything before that I can only tolerate in small doses.

I'm well up for Run The Jewels, Idles, Alice Glass & Scarlxrd though so that seals the deal for me.

I think there's plenty for their target audience as well.  Like dental says, the likes of Sleeping With Sirens, While She Sleeps, Architects etc are perfect for their audience.

40K is a lot of tickets to sell for a new festival with so much competition.

Christine and the Queens has a very decent undercard but I would also include Christine as an undercard act or possibly a subheadliner at best. Having her as a headliner was incredibly ambitious to begin with if they thought she was big enough to shift enough tickets. I'm not sure whether APE were banking on her profile to grow astronomically like Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish but if they were, this was a swing and a miss.

APE would have been better served trying to lure artists like Tame Impala or even Lana Del Rey for the Sunday.

Edited by Mau5

They may have tried those acts and failed though.  They can only book who is available.  

Nice to see a newer act given a go - they might have struggled with ticket sales but they'll gain kudos for it especially if she delivers something special which might help the festival in future years.

5 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

do we have a consensus at all about whether we need to leave John Hopkins early for a good Chems spot (there is a 15 min gap between JH finish and Chems start). You really don’t need to be that close for Chems but you don’t want to be at the back with the talkers. Decisions think I’m leaning towards missing last 15 of jopkins. Group of 10 prob makes that a necessity :(

I'd recommend getting to the back of the crowd for the last song and legging at as soon as he finishes, at least. The tricky bit will be if you hit the crowd leaving Primals too, I think it gets pretty congested, and you're going from the other side of the site. I'm going to watch all of Primals, but there's only 2 of us so I reckon we can slot into Chems pretty easily long as we're out quickly.

32 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

They may have tried those acts and failed though.  They can only book who is available.

This really is the main thing, so many acts aren't around that early and if they are they are in America as theres Coachella, Bottlerock etc earlier in the summer whereas our main festivals are much later on.

A bit of a random question but does anyone know whether they have exit gates on the far east of the park that they open after the headliner finishes? (Ie the opposite end to Grove Road, heading out towards Stratford).

I’ve not been to APE before but I’ve done a few lovebox/field days and whether I’ve been too smashed and imagined this but I feel like there’s been another exit out that way. I can’t find any info on the site and for that matter why can I not find a map!? (love maps)

We have a train to catch and my husband wants to leave before the last track which I honestly hate doing with a passion ??.

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

A bit of a random question but does anyone know whether they have exit gates on the far east of the park that they open after the headliner finishes? (Ie the opposite end to Grove Road, heading out towards Stratford).

I’ve not been to APE before but I’ve done a few lovebox/field days and whether I’ve been too smashed and imagined this but I feel like there’s been another exit out that way. I can’t find any info on the site and for that matter why can I not find a map!? (love maps)

We have a train to catch and my husband wants to leave before the last track which I honestly hate doing with a passion ??.

Everyone's funnelled out of the Grove Rd exit.

Depending on where your train is, you'll have to make your way from there - this may be Hackney Wick > Stratford, might be Mile End.

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

Everyone's funnelled out of the Grove Rd exit.

Depending on where your train is, you'll have to make your way from there - this may be Hackney Wick > Stratford, might be Mile End.

Damn it. We’ll deffo have to leave early then. Planning to walk to Stratford International to get our train so it’ll be a long walk from Chems out via Grove road and round.

Thanks for the info!

20 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Honestly I found last year (at all three I went to) that because of the way the site and schedule is set up people largely follow each other around en masse, so having to leave super early to get good spots isn't particularly necessary. Just make your way to the back of the crowd during set A, be quick to get away, and you'll be the first one to set B. I rocked up to all the headliners basically as they were starting last year and could walk into decent positions without any bother at all. (Nick Cave was slightly different but he was also the only day to actually sell out)

14 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Damn it. We’ll deffo have to leave early then. Planning to walk to Stratford International to get our train so it’ll be a long walk from Chems out via Grove road and round.

Thanks for the info!

If it's anything like last year they'll be finished about 15 mins before the advertised curfew, if that gives you any more time. Again, edge your way to the back during the last few songs and you'll get away pretty quick. 

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

If it's anything like last year they'll be finished about 15 mins before the advertised curfew, if that gives you any more time. Again, edge your way to the back during the last few songs and you'll get away pretty quick. 

Oh that’s superb thank you. I was wondering whether they might finish 5 or so mins early and that may give us enough time if we stand right at the back for the encore as you say. Cheers.