All Points East Festival 2019

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I predict free tickets for Christine being made available by mid-week.

All these free/cheap tickets are a real kick in the teeth to anyone who paid full price, I imagine it'll effect sales next year with people not wanting to lose a load of cash buying early.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

All these free/cheap tickets are a real kick in the teeth to anyone who paid full price, I imagine it'll effect sales next year with people not wanting to lose a load of cash buying early.

Yeah, I agree it's really short sighted.

It does seem like Christine is selling terribly and they'll inevitably accelerate offloading them this week.

Not sure if I'm breaking any site rules by saying too much about what @gfa kindly sent me.  Let's just say it's NOT about how to hide a bottle on your person.  But I think I will still employ that tactic as what I want to bring in won't be clear, and therefore will be less easy to disguise.  I think officially APE only lets you bring in sealed water bottles - meaning if you rocked up with "iced tea" or "ribena" you might be running a risk.

Regarding Christine and the Queens, I tried listening to the new stuff and it sounded like yacht rock nonsense.  I didn't mind that song that was everywhere back in 2016, but didn't think it was great either.  Is she turning out to be a one hit wonder?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Not sure if I'm breaking any site rules by saying too much about what @gfa kindly sent me.  Let's just say it's NOT about how to hide a bottle on your person.  But I think I will still employ that tactic as what I want to bring in won't be clear, and therefore will be less easy to disguise.  I think officially APE only lets you bring in sealed water bottles - meaning if you rocked up with "iced tea" or "ribena" you might be running a risk.

Regarding Christine and the Queens, I tried listening to the new stuff and it sounded like yacht rock nonsense.  I didn't mind that song that was everywhere back in 2016, but didn't think it was great either.  Is she turning out to be a one hit wonder?

What you can do - if this is relevant haha! - is run a sealed bottle of water under a hot tap which will help you ease the top and seal in one piece.  Then fill it with clear spirits and then replace the lid and seal.  And voila!  You have what appears to be a refreshing bottle of sealed water. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jump said:

I would be careful on what's said to sneak stuff in. Allegedly the police have monitored this site and social media about how folk are sneaking stuff into festivals, routes to festivals which avoid sniffer dogs etc before.

That's true, although I assume sneaking alcohol in is a private - i.e. between the attendee and the festival - matter rather than police matter?

But still sound advice, I wouldn't be surprised if they were trawling forums, especially for London festivals, looking for this kind of thing.  

14 minutes ago, jump said:

I would be careful on what's said to sneak stuff in. Allegedly the police have monitored this site and social media about how folk are sneaking stuff into festivals, routes to festivals which avoid sniffer dogs etc before.

What? The police, the same police that are massively underresourced, have enough spare capacity to read up on websites about people trying to take booze into festivals (which is not a crime) and are then interested in charging someone for words on a page?

That is an absolutely bonkers allegation.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What? The police, the same police that are massively underresourced, have enough spare capacity to read up on websites about people trying to take booze into festivals (which is not a crime) and are then interested in charging someone for words on a page?

That is an absolutely bonkers allegation.

The police see festivals as a cash cow due to festivals having to themselves pay for the policing at festivals so there is interest to have a high arrest rate to justify it. 

They aren't interested in nicking the person for posting something, they are interested knowing the method someone uses so they can stop it on the day...loose lips sinks ships. I'm also talking less about sneaking booze in and more about people sneaking other things in but I thought it's worth a mention as that was the direction the thread was going in.

Edited by jump

4 minutes ago, jump said:

The police see festivals as a cash cow due to festivals having to themselves pay for the policing at festivals so there is interest to have a high arrest rate to justify it. 

They aren't interested in nicking the person for posting something, they are interested knowing the method someone uses so they can stop it on the day...loose lips sinks ships. I'm also talking less about sneaking booze in and more about people sneaking other things in but I though it's worth a mention as that was the direction the thread was going in.

Ah, fair enough, especially on the 'other things' which is surely the focus of police attention and quite right. People should be free to drink booze and if they smuggle into festivals and get caught, that is surely not a police matter.

Festivals I go to I always get the security attention from a festival worker and have never been frisked by police looking for booze, so not sure how they would pick up on underhand methods of getting stuff in. Surely it relies on the festival workers being more vigilant, rather than the police.

3 hours ago, Chaarlie said:

It already has affected sales. Ever since the BST discounts, people have been “waiting til nearer the time for cheap tickets” for these big London events. 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ah, fair enough, especially on the 'other things' which is surely the focus of police attention and quite right. People should be free to drink booze and if they smuggle into festivals and get caught, that is surely not a police matter.

Festivals I go to I always get the security attention from a festival worker and have never been frisked by police looking for booze, so not sure how they would pick up on underhand methods of getting stuff in. Surely it relies on the festival workers being more vigilant, rather than the police.

Don't think anybody was trying to take this anywhere then "how do we get some booze in".  I offered putting your booze in a foil pack as being a school boy error due to the fact there's metal detectors.  Not all fests have metal detectors, but at APE they're a barrier if you're daft enough to put your booze in a capri-sun pouch.  In any case trying to get booze in isn't a crime - it's a breach of your contract with the organisers.  Worst case I think is that they bin your precious booze before letting you in.  In summary - the police won't care about this chat....

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It already has affected sales. Ever since the BST discounts, people have been “waiting til nearer the time for cheap tickets” for these big London events. 

Last year I bought 5 tickets at full price (so around £300). This year I knew to just wait and now I'm going to four shows for less than £100 (and the only one I paid full price for has since sold out).

Capri Sun style pouches filled with the spirit of your choice stuffed down your pants works a treat for getting your own booze into festivals/gigs. Lots of supermarkets sell iced cocktails that you freeze at home in these large style pouches with screw top lids. They’re great. 

Edited by Andre91

13 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Don't think anybody was trying to take this anywhere then "how do we get some booze in".  I offered putting your booze in a foil pack as being a school boy error due to the fact there's metal detectors.  Not all fests have metal detectors, but at APE they're a barrier if you're daft enough to put your booze in a capri-sun pouch.  In any case trying to get booze in isn't a crime - it's a breach of your contract with the organisers.  Worst case I think is that they bin your precious booze before letting you in.  In summary - the police won't care about this chat....

Actually the police can stop people drinking/carrying alcohol in the street depending on a PSPO being given for that area. I know this as I once got into an argument with a copper who tried to take my cans of Red Stripe from me.

Edited by jump

The police aren't on the gates either, only there to take you into custody if there is a need to pass you across from the security team, and lets face it, there is no massive interest from the organisers to have a large number of arrests or detections of drugs. They need to find just enough to show that they take it seriously, but not so many that it speaks to the type of event that they trying to put on, too many drug or alcohol detections at the gates will affect the licencing conditions for future events.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jump said:

Actually the place can stop people drinking/carrying alcohol in the street depending on a PSPO being given for that area. I know this as I once got into an argument with a copper who tried to take my cans of Red Stripe from me.

Ah ok that's interesting.  I think this means the police can theoretically instruct you to stop drinking and if you continue to do so it's an offence.  If I'm busted and my "Ribena" is discovered then I shall try to down it before any police attend the scene.  Or ask them to check if they have a PSPO.  As I down it.  Hopefully will just get in inside the venue though. ??

6 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Ah ok that's interesting.  I think this means the police can theoretically instruct you to stop drinking and if you continue to do so it's an offence.  If I'm busted and my "Ribena" is discovered then I shall try to down it before any police attend the scene.  Or ask them to check if they have a PSPO.  As I down it.  Hopefully will just get in inside the venue though. ??

Honestly a pouch tucked in your belt wont be found too easily, if you go at a busy time and they have metal detectors then the pat downs are pretty lackluster. You might get unlucky so I never take expensive stuff.They definitely profile people too, I'm going with my dad so he'll be taking the drink in since I look like a dirty yout. ? Been to a festival with my mum and she could walk in with 4 tins in her bag no questions asked ?.

Edited by Chaarlie

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The police aren't on the gates either, only there to take you into custody if there is a need to pass you across from the security team, and lets face it, there is no massive interest from the organisers to have a large number of arrests or detections of drugs. They need to find just enough to show that they take it seriously, but not so many that it speaks to the type of event that they trying to put on, too many drug or alcohol detections at the gates will affect the licencing conditions for future events.

Voice of reason.