All Points East Festival 2019

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The BMTH album is a mess. And crap. Really crap. I don’t know who they’re making this music for. 

me I guess, I love it. Seems to be getting decent reviews too, will see how it does though. Think its a good progression from TTS. Some of the lyrics are a bit cringe but that's my only complaint so far. Interesting to see how it translates live.

32 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

me I guess, I love it. Seems to be getting decent reviews too, will see how it does though. Think its a good progression from TTS. Some of the lyrics are a bit cringe but that's my only complaint so far. Interesting to see how it translates live.

I think that the lyrics are really quite bad throughout. They're experimenting with so many things but I don't think that they do any of them particularly well at all. Nihilist Blues sounds like a mash up of Katy B and Magnetic Man and somehow manages to make Grimes boring. I can't see how half of the songs could be played live as a band when the band aren't present on a lot of the album (except Oli and Jordan). 

I'm confused at who they are trying to pitch this to. The issue for me is that not that they are making more pop orientated music, the problem is that the pop music they are making just isn't good. Why would anyone anyone who listens to chart / pop music choose to listen to this when you have an artist like Dua Lipa, for example, who releases banger after banger? As much as they've moved away from what they once were, they're going to be seen by a lot of mainstream music fans as 'that band who used to be 'screamo''. 

I guess you've got to applaud them for constantly trying new things, i just don't think they're pulling them off. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think that the lyrics are really quite bad throughout. They're experimenting with so many things but I don't think that they do any of them particularly well at all. Nihilist Blues sounds like a mash up of Katy B and Magnetic Man and somehow manages to make Grimes boring. I can't see how half of the songs could be played live as a band when the band aren't present on a lot of the album (except Oli and Jordan). 

I'm confused at who they are trying to pitch this to. The issue for me is that not that they are making more pop orientated music, the problem is that the pop music they are making just isn't good. Why would anyone anyone who listens to chart / pop music choose to listen to this when you have an artist like Dua Lipa, for example, who releases banger after banger? As much as they've moved away from what they once were, they're going to be seen by a lot of mainstream music fans as 'that band who used to be 'screamo''. 

I guess you've got to applaud them for constantly trying new things, i just don't think they're pulling them off. 

100% agree. At least when they went 'softer' songs like throne still had a bit about them. My local alternative nightclub would play TTS stuff a lot and it would always go down well. The new stuff just doesn't have enough going for it to entertain. Very forgettable. 

31 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Fair enough very well rounded points I can't really dispute. I'm enjoying it at the moment and I think nihilist blues is a great track though, I did like magnetic man as well though ?. I quite enjoy he modern takes on the europop/techno style, I'd rather they went this direction than just stagnate making rock and joining the YMAS/All Time Low group of not quite subheadline bands. 

Listening to the interview Oli did with Annie Mac is interesting to hear his views on it. They've said about using Guitars to produce some of the synth sounds. Think they've played Medicine live but I haven't watched any clips of what its like yet.

How do you judge a band/album's success these days, is it all on ticket sales can you go off album charts ect? Even for this you can't say they sold the tickets off their own back once Architects are added.

Also from that R1 interview they seem to have a big influence on what acts are booked for APE, do you think this is actually the case? Not sure if these 'curated' days are just a marketing scheme...

If I'm listening and trying to listen BMTH when listening to this new album, I'm disappointed (bar two tracks).

If I'm listening to as a fresh slate, I'm quite enjoying the album. Yes, some cringey lyrics, but its easy for these songs to get stuck in your head. I can definitely see that the classic BMTH fan will be very disappointed, and I'm very interested to see how this transpires live. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

certainly not impossible. It's what we're all expecting of Chemical Brothers and probably Christine & the Queens.

Yes, but The Strokes are a headline band and APE is significantly smaller and sharing and a headline act would be slightly weird. 

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Yes, but The Strokes are a headline band and APE is significantly smaller and sharing and a headline act would be slightly weird. 

No different to IOW sharing The Killers with Latitude last year. In that case Latitude got an act much bigger than they usually get. In this case Glasto is getting an act slightly smaller than usual and APE are getting an act slightly bigger than usual.

12 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

who says they'd headline Glasto? I didn't.

11 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Fancy giving us an indication of how well-connected or reliable this particular source is please, Neil? :)  Big news.

the source is highly accurate although has (I think) occasionally had something duff. He's very probably right this time.

Amusingly I was told 'probably on Saturday'... which is probably right, cos there's only Saturday's left to announce for. :P