All Points East Festival 2019

42 minutes ago, AAlex said:

The clue is they’d be perfect to play a park in London, and you can say they’re perfect to play a park in London because they’ve already done it...

I see. But, as @xxialac points out, I see the hint to mean about the album itself being 'perfect for playing a park in London.' 

Even aside from that, I think Blur have played Hyde Park three or four times since reuniting so they would have Green Day beat on that front anyway. :P Not to mention they'd actually suit playing All Points East.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I see. But, as @xxialac points out, I see the hint to mean about the album itself being 'perfect for playing a park in London.' 

Even aside from that, I think Blur have played Hyde Park three or four times since reuniting so they would have Green Day beat on that front anyway. :P Not to mention they'd actually suit playing All Points East.

Hahaha I'm only joking, for all we know the guy who posted the 'hint' could have a Bobby Gillespie tattoo on his leg and that's why he thinks they'd be the biggest headliner out the lot playing GOBDGU.

Green Day seem the obvious choice to me but they wouldn't tempt me at all, I wouldn't get much work done the Morning Blur tickets went on sale though, so I'm happy to be wrong!

34 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

If Green Day play APE so soon after Hyde Park, and The National playing Hyde Park virtually five mins after APE - it would seem like APE has gone in on itself after what I felt was a stellar first year lineup...

Well the good news is that Green Day aren't playing here and The National playing BST surely doesn't affect this year's APE lineup.

But based on the acts that are playing this, I agree about a major drop-off from last year. Really hope they've got something up their sleeves for the two Saturdays.

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Well the good news is that Green Day aren't playing here and The National playing BST surely doesn't affect this year's APE lineup.

But based on the acts that are playing this, I agree about a major drop-off from last year. Really hope they've got something up their sleeves for the two Saturdays.

Surely they can only book who is around at the moment? Admittedly, last years was very strong and maybe they went all out as it was the first one but I don't think it's wise to assume they'll spend money like that every year...I would guess they are still very much in the red. 

This year is still pretty big - the Bon Iver and Christine days seem good so I'm excited to see what they add. And if you're into Rock/Metal then the BMTH and Architects day (if the rumours are true) would be absolutely massive with two arena sized bands. 

1 hour ago, Chungus said:

Pretty much all the APE days are 18+. How heavily do you think this will be enforced 

"Children under the age of 2 will be admitted free of charge." think you'll be okay... under 18s need to go in with an adult but I used to just find someone in the queue to go in with before I or any of my friends were 18, most people don't really care.

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

"Could be a long list of ageing Britpop bands you could mention. Now when was His 'n Hers released?"

"Yes but only a handful have ones (ALBUMS) that would be perfect and big enough for playing a park in London"

PARKLIFE, HINT HINT, NUDGE NUDGE

His 'n He's was released in 1994 I think. So will be 25 years but can't see anything happening with Pulp. 

6 hours ago, endswithMJ said:

Surely they can only book who is around at the moment? Admittedly, last years was very strong and maybe they went all out as it was the first one but I don't think it's wise to assume they'll spend money like that every year...I would guess they are still very much in the red. 

This year is still pretty big - the Bon Iver and Christine days seem good so I'm excited to see what they add. And if you're into Rock/Metal then the BMTH and Architects day (if the rumours are true) would be absolutely massive with two arena sized bands. 

It does have a major company behind it so I don’t think they’re strapped for cash because of the last one. There is a lack of acts about so maybe that’s what I’m lamenting instead. It’s not that I don’t understand the demand of these acts, it’s just they generally seem quite run-of-the-mill.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It does have a major company behind it so I don’t think they’re strapped for cash because of the last one. There is a lack of acts about so maybe that’s what I’m lamenting instead. It’s not that I don’t understand the demand of these acts, it’s just they generally seem quite run-of-the-mill.

only one that seems run of the mill to me is the Chems. BMTH had a hugely sucessful last album and a seemingly exclusive show just after the release of their new one, supported by architects is huge. Christine is an exciting new act, may be a little small for a headline slot but not really run of the mill. Bon Iver isn't really my thing but doesn't play too many live shows and is a great performer. Still think they're pushing the boat out as they were last year and are the most exciting festival in the UK for me at the moment. Expecting big things from the last 2 shows though especially as they're saturday nights.

1 hour ago, Chaarlie said:

only one that seems run of the mill to me is the Chems. BMTH had a hugely sucessful last album and a seemingly exclusive show just after the release of their new one, supported by architects is huge. Christine is an exciting new act, may be a little small for a headline slot but not really run of the mill. Bon Iver isn't really my thing but doesn't play too many live shows and is a great performer. Still think they're pushing the boat out as they were last year and are the most exciting festival in the UK for me at the moment. Expecting big things from the last 2 shows though especially as they're saturday nights.

BMTH aren’t really as big as they were though - they’re only really doing this because none of their preferred fests are willing to give them headline status yet and more people seem to be interested in their unannounced support. Christine and the Queens is pretty low on European festival lineups and has only played a couple of 4k-5k capacity venues in London so it goes without saying they’re quite small for the task, and they haven’t pulled any big names on the undercard to make up for that either. The other two days, for me, are fairly good but not exactly impressive.

I do really like this festival but I don’t think it’s being overly negative to suggest it’s failing to deliver so far. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It’s not that I don’t understand the demand of these acts, it’s just they generally seem quite run-of-the-mill.

Out of interest, who could be announced that you wouldn't class as run-of-the-mill? 

Lana?

NIN? 

Edited by TomViolence
Typo

44 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Out of interest, who could be announced that you wouldn't class as run-of-the-mill? 

Lana?

NIN? 

Yeah either of those would be interesting - and I’m sure both were approached. I don’t wanna embarrass myself by pointlessly reeling off a list of acts who are obviously either not touring, not available or still to come. I’m just noting really that the wow-factor of LCD/YYY’s/Phoenix, The xx/Lorde, Bjork/Beck/FJM and National/TWOD/Future Islands from the first four names last year is absent this time.

Edited by dentalplan

Have to agree to be fair, last year had some genuinely exciting acts, Yeah Yeah Yeahs who hadn't played in donkeys and Bjork who hardly ever plays live, this year they've booked The Chems who have toured non-stop for about 4 years, Bon Iver who played a multi-date residency earlier in the year, BMTH who are pretty niche and have just played back to back dates in Ally Pally and Christine & The Queens who have just toured and aren't a particularly big act in the grand scheme of things.

16 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Have to agree to be fair, last year had some genuinely exciting acts, Yeah Yeah Yeahs who hadn't played in donkeys and Bjork who hardly ever plays live, this year they've booked The Chems who have toured non-stop for about 4 years, Bon Iver who played a multi-date residency earlier in the year, BMTH who are pretty niche and have just played back to back dates in Ally Pally and Christine & The Queens who have just toured and aren't a particularly big act in the grand scheme of things.

While I agree with the overall sentiment, it's worth noting that The XX had just headlined 7 nights in a row in Brixton. The idea, therefore, that last year was full of exciting bookings isn't completely true. There are also two more days to be announced so they could still pull something spectacular out of the bag! 

25 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

While I agree with the overall sentiment, it's worth noting that The XX had just headlined 7 nights in a row in Brixton. The idea, therefore, that last year was full of exciting bookings isn't completely true. There are also two more days to be announced so they could still pull something spectacular out of the bag! 

Yeah absolutely, which is why I hadn't listed them as an act that was particularly exciting, what they did have on that day was a really well curated set of acts on the other stages. I will probably end up at the Bon Iver day and depending on who plays on the Saturday of the first weekend, on that day too. Appreciate they can only book who is available, having had such a good start to things last year, just feels like it's a had lesser impact this time around.

26 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah absolutely, which is why I hadn't listed them as an act that was particularly exciting, what they did have on that day was a really well curated set of acts on the other stages. I will probably end up at the Bon Iver day and depending on who plays on the Saturday of the first weekend, on that day too. Appreciate they can only book who is available, having had such a good start to things last year, just feels like it's a had lesser impact this time around.

Agreed that it does feel like it's had a lesser impact. But for me at least that's probably down to personal taste (Bjork, LCD and NIck Cave are some of my favourite artists/bands ever). 

For me, the undercard on the Bon Iver day is better than any of the undercards from last year. 

9 hours ago, Chungus said:

Pretty much all the APE days are 18+. How heavily do you think this will be enforced 

We all just walked through with no problems on the Catfish day, the day they probably expected the youngest crowd too. Seemed like nobody cared.

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It does have a large company behind it but they’d still be unable to sustain that level of investment every year.

I would say Bon Iver isn’t that run of the mill...it’s just he played his first London gigs in ages this year (Feb?) so that’s still quite fresh.