All Points East Festival 2019

Also worth remembering that last year was the first year of APE. There were, quite understandably, a lot of reservations about how well the festival would be run due to the history of other events at Victoria Park. Maybe that put people off buying tickets. Having seen the success of last year, maybe this year will sell considerably better.

50 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Surely at one-day events that are reliant on individual headliners it's a much bigger risk in terms of sales though? Didn't far bigger acts like the XX and LCD not even sell out this year (or if they did it was only just and late on)?

The headliners don’t carry all the responsibility for the sales, otherwise nobody would be giving Victoria Park headline gigs to any of these acts. It has after all stepped into Field Day’s shoes.

Christine and the Queens is a lot more of a current flavour than any act headlining last year - that first album sold massively. Admittedly I’d have predicted her to be a strong sub but if they’re looking to fill the slots then her getting the gig is a wise choice.

Just now, finn_with_1_n said:

That might be the reason it sells well. She only did 2 nights in London and they both sold out fairly quickly so there will be demand for those who couldn't go and all the TV appearances and 5* reviews will help sales. Let alone all those who went who will want to go again.

Compared to The xx who did 8 nights in Brixton and therefore most who would've wanted to go probably did. I'd agree that The xx are bigger than Christine but her 2 shows might go in her favour

Sorry yeah, Brixton not Hammersmith. I went as well! Got it mixed up with the Bon Iver run of shows. And yeah, that's a fair point regarding demand. 

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The headliners don’t carry all the responsibility for the sales, otherwise nobody would be giving Victoria Park headline gigs to any of these acts. It has after all stepped into Field Day’s shoes.

Of course not but I think they carry a very significant part of it. Much more so than any of the major festivals or the one-day dance ones. Anecdotal, I know, but I only heard this one being talked about (outside this website) in a similar way to say QOTSA in Finsbury Park and the APE Presents days (not sure the average festival goer saw the difference) where the focus was very much on the headliner. I personally think this is a key difference between us efests obsessives and the average festival goer (and the latter will determine how well sales go). 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what were you thinking?

Well it seems like TRNSMT, BST, All Points East and Latitude are squirrelled away down here despite being quite popular on the forums and major festivals in their own right. I know there’s a bit of behind the scenes stuff with these things so fair enough if they’re not up there for a reason.

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Sorry yeah, Brixton not Hammersmith. I went as well! Got it mixed up with the Bon Iver run of shows. And yeah, that's a fair point regarding demand. 

Of course not but I think they carry a very significant part of it. Much more so than any of the major festivals or the one-day dance ones. Anecdotal, I know, but I only heard this one being talked about (outside this website) in a similar way to say QOTSA in Finsbury Park and the APE Presents days (not sure the average festival goer saw the difference) where the focus was very much on the headliner. I personally think this is a key difference between us efests obsessives and the average festival goer (and the latter will determine how well sales go). 

Tbf with All Points East, the people going are obsessive aren’t they? I wouldn’t bet against Yeah Yeah Yeahs having dragged a bigger crowd than LCD Soundsystem. It just seems to me that these acts aren’t headliners of 40-odd-thousand capacity venues but they can top a bill where people will be interested in all the acts.

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Predictions for her undercard? Would like Jain, Empress Of, Anna Calvi, Perfume Genius, US Girls etc. but can't think who'd make a good strong sub really. Maybe London Grammar or Fever Ray? Would've said Robyn but the Ally Pally gig probably shuts that one down 

Anna Calvi and Perfume Genius would fit brilliantly. 

Metronomy playing Nights Out as a sub perhaps? 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well it seems like TRNSMT, BST, All Points East and Latitude are squirrelled away down here despite being quite popular on the forums and major festivals in their own right. I know there’s a bit of behind the scenes stuff with these things so fair enough if they’re not up there for a reason.

I've been thinking the same.  In the next site overhaul be great if the most actively commented on festivals could be moved to the main page e.g. there's more comments for All Points East 2019 than for the entire life history of others like Wychwood.

Be great if Primavera Sound could have its own page too. 200,000 attend these days. The majority of its attendees are non-Spanish and mostly Brits.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd seen earlier that there was a latitude forum that had been created, and just now I worked out no one could see it - so have re-enabled that. I don't know why it was turned off.

Yeah I think they’re looking at pulling together well curated line-ups that get people on site for a large part of the day, building footfall for their overpriced food and drinks. 

It certainly worked last year- I was on the gate and the rush was quite early on with people coming in specifically to see first/second acts on.

4 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Anna Calvi and Perfume Genius would fit brilliantly. 

Metronomy playing Nights Out as a sub perhaps? 

Metronomy strike me as being better suited to a Vampire Weekend or Strokes day, really. If that’s a thing. 

And yeah they’re recording a new album anyway, posted about it on Instagram the other day. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd seen earlier that there was a latitude forum that had been created, and just now I worked out no one could see it - so have re-enabled that. I don't know why it was turned off.

I remember you saying around the time that somebody had convinced you to make one and it would increase traffic. It was there for a bit and essentially had the same people reading and posting as the thread on here so it was shut again.

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Metronomy strike me as being better suited to a Vampire Weekend or Strokes day, really. If that’s a thing. 

Yeah maybe. I could see The Strokes day (if there is one) having someone like Interpol take the sub spot instead. Has there been anything suggesting Vampire Weekend? 

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Predictions for her undercard? Would like Jain, Empress Of, Anna Calvi, Perfume Genius, US Girls etc. but can't think who'd make a good strong sub really. Maybe London Grammar or Fever Ray? Would've said Robyn but the Ally Pally gig probably shuts that one down 

Perfume Genius and U.S Girls would be great.

Robyn would work well but yeh I think she's now doing 2 Ally Pally gigs so that may rule her out.

Carly Rae Jepsen as a sub? 

Other acts on the undercard: Charli XCX, let's est grandma, SOPHIE, Wye Oak, Grimes, Susanne Sundfor, Kero Kero Bonito - isn't Sky Ferreira releasing a new album?

Edited by lessthanwill1

7 hours ago, PDAD said:

Somehting like this would be pretty cool:

Christine and the Queens / Metronomy / Perfume Genius / Anna Calvi

The Strokes / Interpol / TV on the Radio / Cake 

So are the strokes being considered as a serious rumour for this? If so anyone have an idea as to what date?

13 minutes ago, cc1989 said:

So are the strokes being considered as a serious rumour for this? If so anyone have an idea as to what date?

It would be either of the Saturdays, so 25th May or 1 June. But we've got a lot of conflicting info on what we think they might be up to - and to be the fair there isn't actually any confirmation they're going to be in Europe, or active, at all next summer.