Runnerups

Primavera Sound 2019

Age is catching up to me. I wasn’t prepared for how exhausting this festival is. I wanted to stay till 6am at least once.. I just couldn’t do it 

I had a brilliant time. I finished by seeing Roisin Murphy and then went straight to airport and got 7am flight back to London. Haven’t slept. 

• Upvote 5

Been going for three years and this was my favorite so far. 

There overall crowd has definitely changed alot.. In line with how the headliners shifted more pop... But because of this I was able to mostly avoid the main stage area which made the fest so much more enjoyable. 

I went down in that area for CRJ and Robyn and while the crowds in the first few rows were fine, the further back you went the more it turned into an IG photo shoot and show off your festival outfit environment. I couldn't imagine seeing a quieter artist like James Blake down there.. Would have wanted to pull my hair out. 

Basically as long as you can avoid the talkers and the IG models.. This fest is still amazing. If they keep booking super pop headliners supported by an amazing undercard/mid tier artists at rayban/Primavera I'll still keep coming back. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bobhoward said:

Been going for three years and this was my favorite so far. 

There overall crowd has definitely changed alot.. In line with how the headliners shifted more pop... But because of this I was able to mostly avoid the main stage area which made the fest so much more enjoyable. 

I went down in that area for CRJ and Robyn and while the crowds in the first few rows were fine, the further back you went the more it turned into an IG photo shoot and show off your festival outfit environment. I couldn't imagine seeing a quieter artist like James Blake down there.. Would have wanted to pull my hair out. 

Basically as long as you can avoid the talkers and the IG models.. This fest is still amazing. If they keep booking super pop headliners supported by an amazing undercard/mid tier artists at rayban/Primavera I'll still keep coming back. 

Agreed, I'm all for it. There was hardly anybody, relatively speaking, in the Adidas/pitchfork area for that run of drab majesty > nenah cherry > June of 44 > messthetics which meant not having to evade talkers too much. 

Main stages were biggest disappoitment this year, beside interpol and tame impala there wasnt much to see there...but overall it was good festival it wasnt that much queer as I was afraid it was going to be and from initial setup of 2020 looks like they uave learned lesson and are comming to good old normal

Great experience for me. Didn't reach the hights of last year, but had a blast

My top 5:

FKA twigs (wow what a show! Sword dancing, pole dancing, simpley dancing, amazing costums and chorography, and when all gimiks where done she just stood there alone, singing Cellophane and literally makes you cry)

Janelle Monae

Sons of Kemet

Primal Scream

Jungle

On non-musical notes:

- felt less crowded than usual. Maybe it was the contiversial lineup, or maybe it was me skipping most of the headliners (though I did get a great spot for moth Janelle and Tame Impala even though i got there just a few minutes before), but something felt more cosy.

- The cups where a great idea! Didn't try to collect all, but it was fun to get the ones I wanted, and a nice souvenir to bring home. And it's also great to look at the floor at the end of a show and not see it full of million plastic cups (next up are the water bottles!)

- grass in the mordor, how cool is that? My shoes thank you

Can't wait for next year!

My top 5: Rosalia, Big Thief, Tame Impala, Fucked Up, Pond. Will come back, next year will be my 10th Primavera Sound, can't stop at 9.

• Like 2

had VIP tickets.. yea I wouldn’t be disappointed if I get regular tickets next time.

Fast entry into the site didn’t really matter. Cheaper beer is cool, but I spent most of my time away from the main stages.. and travelling up to that vip area in front of the Primavera stage wasn’t worth it.

The atmosphere in the vip areas at the stages is kinda weird. Being at the front I’m used to being surrounded by hard core fans, the energy definitely wasn’t the same.

8 minutes ago, Glenn Coco said:

had VIP tickets.. yea I wouldn’t be disappointed if I get regular tickets next time.

Fast entry into the site didn’t really matter. Cheaper beer is cool, but I spent most of my time away from the main stages.. and travelling up to that vip area in front of the Primavera stage wasn’t worth it.

The atmosphere in the vip areas at the stages is kinda weird. Being at the front I’m used to being surrounded by hard core fans, the energy definitely wasn’t the same.

You did get those green bags.  They looked sturdy. 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

You did get those green bags.  They looked sturdy. 

The quality of those bags are pretty great. If only they weren’t that ugly shade of green.

• Like 1

Well this last day in Apolo was worth every penny, Agost, The Beths and then Amyl and the sniffers all were amazing experience 

Menaged only to catch 15 minutes of Efrim Manuel and was heartbroken when had to leave for Amyl. 

The End

• Like 1

Wow! First ever primavera and absolutely loved it. Brilliant set after brilliant set. We loved Dream Wife, Tirzah, CRJ, Robyn, Solange, Loyle Carner, Viva Belgrano (playing Atd-I), 070 shake but standout was.....

Haru Nemuri on the Adidas originals stage. Sublime show.

Just gutted primavera 2020 ain’t in half term week again next year.