Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

4 hours ago, daveje said:

For all the hullabaloo about the lineup, it still looks like Primavera might actually know what they're doing. The AV Club just released their list of the top ten Pop/R&B albums, and next year's festival has five of them, plus two of the five honourable mentions.

Most of the people are still skeptical about the lineup, I´ve seen a lot of tickets on resselling sites and from what I heard the tickets aren´t selling very good, Full Festival Tickets will only sell out in march ou april, that´s too late from primavera standarts and I don´t think that Saturday tickets will sell out at all.

I´m very interested to see 2020 Primavera´s lineup, if they are going to do drastic changes again.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Full Festival Tickets will only sell out in march ou april, that´s too late from primavera standarts

Doubt that. This will be my 6th in a row, and when I started coming, the full festival tickets didn't sell out until May, as far as I remember. It's only since the Radiohead year that the tickets sold out early.

6 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Most of the people are still skeptical about the lineup, I´ve seen a lot of tickets on resselling sites and from what I heard the tickets aren´t selling very good, Full Festival Tickets will only sell out in march ou april, that´s too late from primavera standarts and I don´t think that Saturday tickets will sell out at all.

I´m very interested to see 2020 Primavera´s lineup, if they are going to do drastic changes again.

I'm 99% sure they will be back to Old Normal and there will be lots of firing as it should be

17 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

People always resell their tickets post-lineup release. The reactions are varied every year, as a result of the price increase and people's diverse hopes. I can recall people being upset with the 2016 poster and selling their tickets right after it.

4 minutes ago, Orens said:

People always resell their tickets post-lineup release. The reactions are varied every year, as a result of the price increase and people's diverse hopes. I can recall people being upset with the 2016 poster and selling their tickets right after it.

if i remember well, some people were selling their 2016 tickets in order to make money, because the line up was insane, tickets sold out superfast, and prices were very high. Thats why the next year the put a limit at the platform, tickets to be only 15% above the original price.

Generally, i love primavera too, but lets be honest, there is no comparison between 2016 and 2019 lineup. It is hard to believe it is the same festival.

17 minutes ago, Kirie said:

So, guys, line up was released, right? What are ur thoughts?

Lots to read on the last 20 pages or so, very mixed reaction though, 50/50 I'd say, some love it some hate it. Personally think there's some good acts on the undercard but the headliners aren't that great and there's nothing that is a must see that would get me on the plane. Just know if you like the lineup you're a snowflake and if you don't you're a bigot. :)

2 hours ago, Kirie said:

So, guys, line up was released, right? What are ur thoughts?

my thoughts are that it's ok, but could be a lot better.

mid-tier is good as usual, headliners aren't great. J Balvin, Future and Cardi B headlining is pathetic, but that's the way Primavera has gone recently, more and more basic insta selfie shit.

in about 7 years paying attention to the lineup, the reaction online this year is probably the worst I've seen, seems to be a lot of grumbling and disappointment, and I've seen more people talking about selling their tickets in the last 2 weeks than I can remember before.

maybe they won't struggle for sales though, J Balvin and Cardi B and Future will sell plenty of day tickets for the instagram selfie crowd.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

It's not a start. It's 70% complete.

Yeah, I read about this too after posting. I know BBK is smaller but that's not a lot of bands.

HOWEVER, it's only 125eur and the location is stunning. Definitely worth that amount of money already, but if you had to choose just one spanish festival, yeah this is near the bottom of the pile.

Maybe a bit too early for this question, but given the complaints about the headliners, who should Primavera have booked otherwise? It's not entirely clear how you should define headliners at the moment, with three top lines in the same size. But non-alphabetically, so I guess it's:
Erykah Badu / Future / Interpol
Tame Impala / Cardi B / Janelle Monáe
Solange / J Balvin / Rosalía

(Looks like one 'shitty' headliner a day, according to some. Not too bad, I think, pretty common to 'dislike' 1/3 of the headliners. Also in 2018: Vince Staples, Tyler, The Creator, A$AP Rocky, although all better imo.)

First option could be: move around some of the names that are on the poster. Maybe Robyn should be at the top or something. 

Second option: entirely different acts. Now, we should get reasonable answers, so for repeat acts these should not have played PS the last few years and must have new material (seems a common requirement for most acts). For others we should have a fair indication that they will be about next year.

Some of the names could be: 

• The Cure: we've just learnt they'll put out a new album, but was this enough to convince Gabi? (Probably this confirmation came in pretty late and previous 'recent' work of The Cure wasn't convincing.) Already at Mad Cool too.
  • The Strokes: just confirmed yesterday that they'll return, probably not about in May/June, at BBK. Yet too confirm any new material since they last played (2015). 
  • Florence + The Machine: apparently Gabi doesn't like here. Think see will be in the US anyway. 
  • My Bloody Valentine: a regular, no new material, but weren't they coming with something new?
  • Kendrick Lamar: not about next year? Too expensive for Gabi?
  • Bon Iver: so far nothing new since 2017, already there with Big Red Machine
  • Nine Inch Nails: no tour?
  • Kraftwerk?
  • Kanye West / ye / kids see ghosts: will he be touring? Too busy with postponed new material? Would Gabi book him?
  • Travis Scott: on most the AOTY lists. Gabi's fear of booking American rappers?
  • Thom Yorke solo: probably not the guitar act some of you'd like. At BBK, start touring in July?
  • Paul McCartney: don't know if he would be a Primavera type of act, but in the US anyway. 

Looking at previous headliners starting at 2017: Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean, The xx, Aphex Twin, Grace Jones, Slayer, Solange, Van Morisson

Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Sigur Rós, PJ Harvey, Tame Impala, Last Shadow Puppets, Air, Brian Wilson, Beach House, (Suede, Beirut, Animal Collective, Pusha T, Action Bronson, Explosions in the Sky, Moderat, John Carpenter, Vince Staples, Drive Like Jehu, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr., Richard Hawley)

The Black Keys, Antony and the Johnsons, The Replacements, Ride, Alt-J, Patti Smith, The Strokes, Interpol, Underworld, (James Blake, Spiritualized, Richie Hawtin, Sleater Kinney, Belle & Sebastian, Damien Rice, Caribou, Foxygen, Eels, Einstürzende Neubauten)

Arcade Fire, Queens of the Stone Age, Neutral Milk Hotel, The National, Pixies, Slowdive, Nine Inch Nails, Kendrick Lamar, Volcano Choir, Caetano Veloso

Phoenix, The Postal Service, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Tame Impala, Blur, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Knife, Fiona Apple, James Blake, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, My Bloody Valentine, Wu-Tang Clan, Band of Horses, Los Planetas

Most of these names don't have anything new out or won't be touring at all. Plus these are recent years, and it shouldn't become too same-y. Among current headliners there's no real 'heritage' act, that's what stands out. Or a very unique booking/weird appearance. (Earlier conclusion here was that people weren't (positively) surprised by any big names.) So far all festivals seem a bit struggling headliner-wise for coming year.

Just putting it out there. Current line-up doesn't appear unreasonable to me. Indeed maybe lighter on the guitars at the top level, but struggling to find appropriate names.

6 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Yeah, I read about this too after posting. I know BBK is smaller but that's not a lot of bands.

HOWEVER, it's only 125eur and the location is stunning. Definitely worth that amount of money already, but if you had to choose just one spanish festival, yeah this is near the bottom of the pile.

It has a lot of plus points but the camping and the queues receive big complaints.

2 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Will have to read up about the queues. I had a lot of friends who went last year and had great things to say. Time to investigate.

Painful getting in and out of the campsite and to Bilbao apparently and you'll want to go to Bilbao as nothing to do in the daytime.

Site itself gets a very good write-up and a good crowd.

6 hours ago, StupidDream said:

Travis Scott: on most the AOTY lists. Gabi's fear of booking American rappers?

Future is also american and he has poor reviews on all of his albums, also he´s not that good on live shows like Travis Scott, I´ve seen both of them and Travis Scott is one of the best performers on the planet, really don´t know why Gabi didn´t book him, maybe because of his schedule?