Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

They're clearly not going to skip out on Kendrick because they're aiming for a 50/50 split. He'd probably be top of their list of acts to book. If any male acts are missing out because of a 50/50 split it'll be ones who are less of a priority to book and instead of them they'll have female acts who are just as good.

Ok but are we going to ignore the fact that Gabi said "the first time we had Kendrick.." (he played the festival only once) and he corrected himself right after to something in the lines of "ups, THE time when he played the festival"?

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

women are making way better music than men these days tbh. just book only women.

I can easily see Carly Rae Jepsen (Gabi LOVES her), St. Vincent, Janelle Monáe, Christine and the Queen's, Robyn, Yaeji, Rina Sawayama or Charli XCX getting booked. They're all making great music.

16 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

TLDR - Female acts are good but there's not enough big artists in the industry right now to run a large and non-stale 50:50 festival, but we should be working towards it.

This applies to 2000trees because that is a festival where there are quite few women in the type of bands that are suitable for booking there.

At Primavera, a festival with 50% of the acts being or containing women could easily happen and not 'sacrifice quality' or anything. If you look at the top reviewed stuff in, say, Pitchfork or other publications that would appeal to PS goers; it's about half and half. I think that I listen to about the same stuff as a Primavera Sound goer and most of the better stuff contains women.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This applies to 2000trees because that is a festival where there are quite few women in the type of bands that are suitable for booking there.

At Primavera, a festival with 50% of the acts being or containing women could easily happen and not 'sacrifice quality' or anything. If you look at the top reviewed stuff in, say, Pitchfork or other publications that would appeal to PS goers; it's about half and half. I think that I listen to about the same stuff as a Primavera Sound goer and most of the better stuff contains women.

I agree you could have a great year of 50/50, but is it sustainable year after year? There's just not an equal amount of women to men in the indie/rock/alt/rap/etc. scenes.  

5 minutes ago, gregory said:

I agree you could have a great year of 50/50, but is it sustainable year after year? There's just not an equal amount of women to men in the indie/rock/alt/rap/etc. scenes.  

The idea is if you start making a point of it women get the attention* they deserve, thus making it sustainable. 

Its really not that hard to work out. 

(*theres a better word here I just can't think of it rn) 

In an ideal world you don't care about the gender of anyone you book you just get the best music. Primavera strikes me as a very diverse festival already, if anything them doing this can prove a point to festivals like wireless in the UK to improve.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not sure I agree with that there seems to be a massive amount more male led bands than female, the female led ones are just as good as the male ones, there's just far fewer.

20 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

I can easily see Carly Rae Jepsen (Gabi LOVES her), St. Vincent, Janelle Monáe, Christine and the Queen's, Robyn, Yaeji, Rina Sawayama or Charli XCX getting booked. They're all making great music.

I would love Shannon Wright, Cocaine Piss, Motherf×cker, Uzeda, Buke and Gase, Allison Crutchfield, Downtown Boys 

to be honest if they made it 50:50 without saying anything then I'm not sure anyone would notice so the whole argument is pretty pointless. If they can handle it in the right way, not make it a gimick, not sacrifice acts for the sake of equality and keep things fresh with the theme of the festival theres no problem. Not saying they cant do all that I'm just pointing out potential problems, hoping they tackle them all.