Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

It's confirmed ...

https://www.primaverasound.es/noticiaSingle?id=1679

"To those who never even dreamt of seeing their favourite band live. Heineken and Primavera Sound present a stage especially for them, Your Heineken Stage, that takes over from Heineken Hidden stage in the Parc del Fòrum and will be located in a new marquee with a 2000-people capacity that will host meetings with artists and the broadcast of the UEFA Champions League final."

Looks like some of the most interesting stuff is going on there. 

Edited by Declan

4 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

feels like the weirdos are being marginalised (or Heineken halved their budget)

This announcement redresses some of that. And a marquee is a step up from the Hidden Stage every year apart from last year and it has more bands than last year. 

Just now, Declan said:

This announcement redresses some of that. And a marquee is a step up from the Hidden Stage every year apart from last year and it has more bands than last year. 

i disagree - last year Breeders were on the main stage, and i know they're not particularly weird, but now we have a covers band in a small marquee doing their songs.

it seems representative of a shift of some kind. feels like a last minute move to appease people, but falls a bit flat for me. it has more bands, sure, and of a type nowhere else on the bill perhaps, but way way smaller than previous years hidden stage acts. 

6 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

i disagree - last year Breeders were on the main stage, and i know they're not particularly weird, but now we have a covers band in a small marquee doing their songs.

it seems representative of a shift of some kind. feels like a last minute move to appease people, but falls a bit flat for me. it has more bands, sure, and of a type nowhere else on the bill perhaps, but way way smaller than previous years hidden stage acts. 

I’m not sure about that. Hidden Stage acts have traditionally been quite small, of a similar size to this year’s.

Last year had bigger acts for sure - but last year was the exception.

13 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

You are complaining about the overall line-up rather than this announcement, it's clear they've taken a new direction this year. But is guitar music necessarily the only "weirdos"?

If we compare like with like 

Last year this equivalent stage had Ride and Belly. I'd say Swervedriver and Bush Tetras match that. Additionally there were only two bands a day and here there's 5 or six, in hopefully a better environment

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m not sure about that. Hidden Stage acts have traditionally been quite small, of a similar size to this year’s.

Last year had bigger acts for sure - but last year was the exception.

well, they had Ride (previous headliners!) one year, and buzzcocks in 2014, and peter hook. pretty legendary people whether you're a fan or not - maybe not 'bigger' acts as such, but...

i've probably just got the hump because we're going with people who think the line up is too pop - bought tickets before it was announced. We tried to tell them it would be ok when the hidden stage was announced. now even that's gone.

i still have a soft spot for PS though. it's hard to convey to newcomers what makes it so good. you just have to go.

2 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

well, they had Ride (previous headliners!) one year, and buzzcocks in 2014, and peter hook. pretty legendary people whether you're a fan or not - maybe not 'bigger' acts as such, but...

i've probably just got the hump because we're going with people who think the line up is too pop - bought tickets before it was announced. We tried to tell them it would be ok when the hidden stage was announced. now even that's gone.

i still have a soft spot for PS though. it's hard to convey to newcomers what makes it so good. you just have to go.

Yes the ‘one year’ Ride played was last year hence my comment!

I really think there’s equivalency with this year’s Hidden and previous year’s except 2018.

And in many ways better than pre-2018 given that anyone can get in now without having to queue for a ticket beforehand (and often not making it).

For all the pop and the commercial stuff it would still be possible to navigate a path through each day seeing the same type of bands Primavera has always excelled at. There’s still that legendary strength in depth that keeps me coming every year.

Just had this sent through from travel zoo if anyone is still considering going but hasn't got tickets yet. £150.00

https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-deals/International/Entertainment/320367/?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uk_top20_2019_19_deal%3a2757419&utm_content=2757419&ec=0&dlinkId=2757419 

Edited by tjamest

Ride headlined on their comeback tour, they're a different proposition now they've played a dozens of festivals since. Buzzcocks and Peter Hook (who's only legendary when he has the rest of New Order to carry him) played in a dark shed with limited capacity. 

1 minute ago, riseupandkill said:

vaselines, cat's eyes, pastels, battles - has had some great acts. i enjoyed the carpark aspect of it but queuing for passes was a bit silly.  

And there's legendary acts in this list - Bush Tetras, Pylon, Bevis Frond, Severed Heads, Miki from Lush. Much as I love the Vaselines and the Pastels, these are comparable names. 

21 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Just had this sent through from travel zoo if anyone is still considering going but hasn't got tickets yet. £150.00

https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-deals/International/Entertainment/320367/?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uk_top20_2019_19_deal%3a2757419&utm_content=2757419&ec=0&dlinkId=2757419 

must be struggling to sell tickets if they have to give big discounts now...