Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

In their desperation to become like an awful festival like Coachella, they've really sold their audience down the drain. I remember thinking Arctic Monkeys and Blur were too mainstream to be at PS, now it's just another pop festival. Why is it always the alternative crowd who lose out? Can't we just have one festival? 

28 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

In their desperation to become like an awful festival like Coachella, they've really sold their audience down the drain. I remember thinking Arctic Monkeys and Blur were too mainstream to be at PS, now it's just another pop festival. Why is it always the alternative crowd who lose out? Can't we just have one festival? 

a POP festival featuring, to name a few, these 'just another festival' acts.  Fine by me...

Amyl & the Sniffers, Yaeji, CHAI, Low, The Messthetics, Tirzah, Sons of Kemet, Snail Mail, BEAK>, The Necks,  Guided by Voices AND Built to Spill, Aldous Harding, Hieroglyphic Being, Haru Nemuri, Big Thief, Carcass, Courtney Barnett, Cybotron, SOPHIE, Danny Brown, Dirty Projectors, Helena Hauff, Tim Hecker, Stiff Little Fingers, Stereolab(!!), Shonen Knife, Jawbreaker, Julia Holter, Kurt Vile, Liz Phair, Efrim Manuel Menuck...

Edited by livenstu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, livenstu said:

a POP festival featuring, to name a few, these 'just another festival' acts.  Fine by me...

Amyl & the Sniffers, Yaeji, CHAI, Low, The Messthetics, Tirzah, Sons of Kemet, Snail Mail, BEAK>, The Necks,  Guided by Voices AND Built to Spill, Aldous Harding, Hieroglyphic Being, Haru Nemuri, Big Thief, Carcass, Courtney Barnett, Cybotron, SOPHIE, Danny Brown, Dirty Projectors, Helena Hauff, Tim Hecker, Stiff Little Fingers, Stereolab(!!), Shonen Knife, Jawbreaker, Julia Holter, Kurt Vile, Liz Phair, Efrim Manuel Menuck...

Yeah but those acts will get crap crowds as they don't fit in with the big name acts and audience. It won't be long until the undercard drastically changes too. 

The undercard and many of the big names make for the best 'alternative' festival around - I've found more bands I want to see this year than at previous events when the headliners were more to my taste.

I can even understand Cardi B - she may be popular, but her music is often challenging, and given how much more prominent hip hop is these days, she didn't look out of place on the line up at all.

Hannah Montana, though? Now that is scary.

28 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Yeah but those acts will get crap crowds as they don't fit in with the big name acts and audience. It won't be long until the undercard drastically changes too. 

Really??  Please define crap crowds.  I'm here for the big names too like Janelle, FKA Twigs, Tame Impala, Solange & Robyn, so does that make me not worthy for the alternative acts?  This is a music festival.

1 minute ago, livenstu said:

Really??  Please define crap crowds.  I'm here for the big names too like Janelle, FKA Twigs, Tame Impala, Solange & Robyn, so does that make me not worthy for the alternative acts?  This is a music festival.

The "crappest" crowds I've seen at Primavera were when Radiohead played. It was glorious wandering around the rest of the site, catching some great bands with smaller crowds, as they played for the other 95%.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, livenstu said:

Crap as in small, not the liveliest of the festival. I've seen it all before at other festivals where they start to get more mainstream at the top of the bill and then the crowd changes and then undercard starts to suffer too because of it. The whole point of Primavera was that it appealed to the alternative crowd to see acts you couldn't elsewhere and to escape the top 40. Now Miley Cyrus is welcome with open arms. The festival will continue down this route now. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Crap as in small, not the liveliest of the festival. I've seen it all before at other festivals where they start to get more mainstream at the top of the bill and then the crowd changes and then undercard starts to suffer too because of it. The whole point of Primavera was that it appealed to the alternative crowd to see acts you couldn't elsewhere and to escape the top 40. Now Miley Cyrus is welcome with open arms. The festival will continue down this route now. 

I think Benicassim is a good example of this so I can see what you are saying, but I have faith that Primavera won't go down this road.  All the big acts this year still feel like they fit the Primavera 'sound', sorry.

Miley Cryus does feel a slight anomaly I guess, but she is 1 out of over 200 acts & a last minute replacement.

The Killers, Kings of Leon, Fatboy Slim, Kasabian, Mumford & Sons however.  Yeah, count me out!  

10 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

How are you so sure it will though? It's not like there is a huge variety to what type of headliners a festival can book this year. I seriously wonder that the kind of crowds you're worried about would even be bothered to check out acts that they don't know anything about. You also wouldn't expect, regardless of the crowd, to have at all times the liveliest of audiences, not every artist needs that kind of context, I guess. The undercard here has aged really well and I now consider this to be one of the best, if not the best, lineups of the year (and I was really lukewarm about it at first but comparing to what other festivals have... my god.)

6 minutes ago, livenstu said:

I think Benicassim is a good example of this so I can see what you are saying, but I have faith that Primavera won't go down this road.  All the big acts this year still feel like they fit the Primavera 'sound', sorry.

Miley Cryus does feel a slight anomaly I guess, but she is 1 out of over 200 acts & a last minute replacement.

The Killers, Kings of Leon, Fatboy Slim, Kasabian, Mumford & Sons however.  Yeah, count me out!  

I guess I wouldn't have a problem if there was another type of festival like Primavera, but there isn't. Mad Cool/NOS Alive are decent atm, but how long until they change as well? I just see Primavera getting even more mainstream in the next few years. 

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I guess I wouldn't have a problem if there was another type of festival like Primavera, but there isn't. Mad Cool/NOS Alive are decent atm, but how long until they change as well? I just see Primavera getting even more mainstream in the next few years. 

Mad Cool is a bit top heavy if anything. I went last year, and there were a lot of very big bands playing very long sets - although it was great, and I got to see tons of people I loved, it didn't have quite the excitement of the huge Primavera line up. 

1 minute ago, bluenova said:

Mad Cool is a bit top heavy if anything. I went last year, and there were a lot of very big bands playing very long sets - although it was great, and I got to see tons of people I loved, it didn't have quite the excitement of the huge Primavera line up. 

Yeah Mad Cool is good for big 'alternative' names, but it doesn't have the undercard of a Primavera or the more underground/cult names. That's what I like about Primavera, but the last few years the undercard has either been very repetitive or not that exciting. 

The thing that I love about this year is that it doesn't feel repetitive and because all the (controversial) change feels very exciting.  At this stage in its lifespan, Primavera could just be another festival, but the lineup still stands out when many others look the same.

Also, using Beni again as an example, their promoters have changed over the years, Primavera haven't.  Just look at how outspoken Gabi is, they won't roll over & conform to the easy lineup.  

Sons of Kemet XL are a good example, 4 drummers & a lot of gear, Primavera must have thrown them a fair amount of money & there are currently no other European dates on their schedule.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, livenstu said:

The thing that I love about this year is that it doesn't feel repetitive and because all the (controversial) change feels very exciting.  At this stage in its lifespan, Primavera could just be another festival, but the lineup still stands out when many others look the same.

Also, using Beni again as an example, their promoters have changed over the years, Primavera haven't.  Just look at how outspoken Gabi is, they won't roll over & conform to the easy lineup.  

Sons of Kemet XL are a good example, 4 drummers & a lot of gear, Primavera must have thrown them a fair amount of money & there are currently no other European dates on their schedule.  

Hi Gabi

• Like 2

6 hours ago, livenstu said:

Well, I would put Miley Cyrus far behind at the end of that list. And trying to sell her as an indie rebel now seems a little desperate to me.

Anyway, I still believe it will be a great festival again. At the same time, I would appreciate having just a couple more big indie names in the lineup. And there is still some hope, isn´t there (Hidden Stage?).

6 hours ago, Friend Chicken said:

lol there's plenty of lineup overlap between Coachella and Primavera, and the former is in many ways more well-run than the latter.

I meant in the sense that it just seems to exist so the Kardashians can pose and take selfies for Instagram. Everything about it seems so vacuous. 

• Upvote 1