Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

28 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

I agree with this and have been thinking the same thing for the last few days. Far too much stock seems to be being placed in those end of year lists. To me they are not indicative of quality at all. Any old rag magazine or website with an agenda can have their say! 

That's why the Album of The Year website is pretty useful with their aggregated list. So many different media, each with their own tastes. So if it's high up there, it's probably currently 'hot' and likely to attract an audience. I'd trust Primavera in that they also look a beyond that and have eyes and ears everywhere. We just don't know their exact booking policy/criteria. 

You've to base your bookings on something. Hard to book acts right now on the basis of 'will they be accepted as good in 10 to 20 years'? And you'll need some fresh blood* at some point, for coming year it may go a bit faster than usual. Or they are very much ahead of time and in 6 months this top line is ace.

*Edit: With this I mean new names to reach the top lines.

Edited by StupidDream

49 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

i think you care too much about critical acclaim on this thread. i would argue that critical acclaim does not equal quality and vice versa. some legendary albums were not critically acclaimed when they were released.

You are right, it's more about relevancy.

1 hour ago, Swanmob said:

I agree with this and have been thinking the same thing for the last few days. Far too much stock seems to be being placed in those end of year lists. To me they are not indicative of quality at all. Any old rag magazine or website with an agenda can have their say! 

Clearly the Primavera booking team place a lot of stock in them too. The majority of the lineup is critically acclaimed albums from this year, or critically acclaimed acts who have albums coming next year.

The 2018 lineup looks to have been booked in a similar vein so it shouldn't come as a big surprise really.

53 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Even if we accept for a minute that they're a great indicator of the quality of an album, they're not indicative of either live performance ability or other successful or recognisable albums/songs - both of which I think are pretty crucial to most people's enjoyment of artists at a festival. 

Which bookings fall into this bracket though? I've seen Future mentioned as a poor live performer, anyone else?

13 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Clearly the Primavera booking team place a lot of stock in them too. The majority of the lineup is critically acclaimed albums from this year, or critically acclaimed acts who have albums coming next year.

The 2018 lineup looks to have been booked in a similar vein so it shouldn't come as a big surprise really.

Which bookings fall into this bracket though? I've seen Future mentioned as a poor live performer, anyone else?

Yeah, great question. I don't see that many or any really that are bad live.

Who's better live than on record? Some of my best Primavera gigs fall in this category.

4 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I'm not saying anyone in particular is a poor live performer, just that there's not necessarily a strong positive correlation between releasing a quality/critically acclaimed album in 2018 and producing a great set. I think there are other factors that should be taken into account when judging how good a line up is and it seems to be taken for granted that top recent albums > great festival experience. It's a great line-up in terms of freshness and many will discover wonderful new acts but previous lineups (including 2018's that I attended) have been better balanced IMO. In other words, I personally feel this line-up is a bit too recent trend-driven.

24 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I'm not saying anyone in particular is a poor live performer, just that there's not necessarily a strong positive correlation between releasing a quality/critically acclaimed album in 2018 and producing a great set.

There is a strong positive correlation between releasing a quality album and performing quality songs onstage. Can we agree on this part?

During my three years of Primavera and approx., I can't recall actually poor performances besides Ariel Pink at the Apolo (always unpredictable), and I really disliked the Brian Wilson set (which was far, far away from the mentioned trend-driven).

People claimed last year that Migos are poor performers onstage and rest assured, their performance has been forgettable at best.

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Even if we accept for a minute that they're a great indicator of the quality of an album, they're not indicative of either live performance ability or other successful or recognisable albums/songs - both of which I think are pretty crucial to most people's enjoyment of artists at a festival. 

that´s true, from all trap and mumble rappers Future is one of the most crittically acclaimed and he is shit live

The same about J Balvin, his last album was well recieved, Pitchfork loved it but he is shit live, I saw him live and it was awfull

On the hand Interpol´s last album was a flop for critics but they are amazing at live shows

So the critical acclaim works in 80% but sometimes it doesn´t work at all

It must be a combination, so I think that after Future´s and J Balvin´s show, Gabi will regret that he booked for main stages.

21 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Im really curious to see how will this all go out, since I have already purchased plane ticket and airbnb looks like I will go to this shity edition of primavera and spread some postive energy with all these snowflakes, at least it looks like it wont be crowded,  everyday there are few new tickets for sale on ticketswap, I can bet they they will be back to old normal in 2020....

30 may : Inerpol/Fka Twigs/nitzer ebb/Apparat/Sophie/Myrkur/The Necks/denis sulta/shonen knife/krystal klear/anastasia kristensen

31 may : Tame Impala/Robyn/Suede/Yves Tumor/Low/Cybotron/Julia Holter/FUcked Up/Snail Mail/Objekt/Midor Takada/Agoria/

1 June : Stereolab/Rosin Murphy/Primal Scream/Modeselktor/Built to Spil/david August/Tim Hecker/Jon Hasell/ TIrzah/Haru Nemuri/Aisha Devi/Drab Majesty

Big Red Macine / Deerhunter/Hatchie/

there are probably few more interesting electronic names that I have to discover but mostly thats it

Quite gutted that I'm going to be at most of the same acts as you.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

that´s true, from all trap and mumble rappers Future is one of the most crittically acclaimed and he is shit live

The same about J Balvin, his last album was well recieved, Pitchfork loved it but he is shit live, I saw him live and it was awfull

On the hand Interpol´s last album was a flop for critics but they are amazing at live shows

So the critical acclaim works in 80% but sometimes it doesn´t work at all

It must be a combination, so I think that after Future´s and J Balvin´s show, Gabi will regret that he booked for main stages.

Interpol's album didn't flop, around 70% aggregated review score. IIRC, most have criticized their mixing and production choices. Nonetheless, they have the back catalog to maintain an incredible festival set.

As for Balvin, well, Gabi and you look differently on his live act.

By the way, Solange has a new album coming up, which we haven't heard already, but Gabi claimed her 2017 set was the best one of that edition.

46 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I'm not saying anyone in particular is a poor live performer, just that there's not necessarily a strong positive correlation between releasing a quality/critically acclaimed album in 2018 and producing a great set. I think there are other factors that should be taken into account when judging how good a line up is and it seems to be taken for granted that top recent albums > great festival experience. It's a great line-up in terms of freshness and many will discover wonderful new acts but previous lineups (including 2018's that I attended) have been better balanced IMO. In other words, I personally feel this line-up is a bit too recent trend-driven.

As far as I can see though the 2019 seems to have been booked in exactly the same way as this year's.

It's mainly acts who had either released critically acclaimed albums prior to the lineup being announced (Bjork/The National/Tyler/TWOD/Lorde/Vince Staples/HAIM etc) or critically acclaimed acts who were to release albums before the festival (AM/Belle & Sebastian/Chvrches/FJM etc.) 

Seems to me that they've continued that theme this year, it's just that there aren't as many big names available who fall into those categories as there would've been for 2018.

I think everyone can agree the lineup is very brave. Whether you like #TheNewNormal or not this is a very special group of acts that reflect the 'now' of music. 

I see people speaking about seasoned classic acts being missing from the lineup and it's true but if it means we're missing a moody Van Morrison or a sassy Lauryn Hill I'm fine with this. It's obviously a slow year for big names on the festival circuit so it's the perfect time to give acts the chance to prove they're capable of earning those spots.

Also, regarding the gender conversation - no, someone's gender should not be entry criteria, however, we sadly, as a group of (mostly?)dudes, don't know the reality of being a female musician. While this year is an easy one to highlight female acts with the ridiculously great stuff women have been putting out, but it's important for big platforms like Primavera to do something drastic to bring about change. 

Whether it will fix anything, only time will tell.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Martin_89 said:

I can give you a hint. Do you only see women flash their chest?

I don´t see men exposing their penises, if that is what you mean.

Or should your opinion be that using women who bare their breasts in advertising is not sexist if you use the same number of men that expose their chests at the same time? Well, my opinion is that an organisation that has gender equality written all over their promo should be better than (and loses credibility by) using naked women in their advertising.

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

I don´t see men exposing their penises, if that is what you mean.

Or should your opinion be that using women who bare their breasts in advertising is not sexist if you use the same number of men that expose their chests at the same time? Well, my opinion is that an organisation that has gender equality written all over their promo should be better than (and loses credibility by) using naked women in their advertising.

They're trying to normalize breasts - TheNewNormal. It's not about basing equality off how we treat men.

4 hours ago, ConorC said:

The majority of the lineup is critically acclaimed albums from this year, or critically acclaimed acts who have albums coming next year.

No, it is not, with an average coverage of 60% of the top 50 aggregated album lists there are still 200 more acts who play the festival. Though we know relevance is still probably a booking criteria, the festival would prefer an album to be release the same or the previous year.

1 hour ago, Gnarler said:

I see people speaking about seasoned classic acts being missing from the lineup and it's true but if it means we're missing a moody Van Morrison or a sassy Lauryn Hill I'm fine with this.

Absolutely, Ive seen people complain ´why did they not book Lauryn Hill´ but she has just been in the Nordics and is getting horrible live reviews everywhere. So instead of such relatively poor live acts we get very strong live acts as Janelle Monae, Solange, Robyn, and even Cardi B if we are to believe the reports... 

I think Primavera both look at relevance, reports on how the band are good live, have ´spider ears´ to follow on what is moving ´everywhere´, and it is also a question of personal taste among the key booking people.

24 minutes ago, puckno said:

I think Primavera both look at relevance, reports on how the band are good live, have ´spider ears´ to follow on what is moving ´everywhere´, and it is also a question of personal taste among the key booking people.

Agree on everything you´re saying but Future and J Balvin are very bad performers live, I don´t know how Gabi said that he loved him live, also I´ve seen Future live once, he was so bad that people booed him. Really don´t know why they didn´t book Travis or Kids See Ghosts, but maybe they couldn´t make it so.

14 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

in best case line up represent selfindulgent toilet paper of someone from pitchfork  who wants to bang twerking chicks ...

I am starting to believe that you are not very pleased with this years lineup, but I might be wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Agree on everything you´re saying but Future and J Balvin are very bad performers live,

Yeah I have not even tried to understand the J Balvin booking, just thinking ´it must be a spanish thing´ and thats ok for me

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

Yeah I have not even tried to understand the J Balvin booking, just thinking ´it must be a spanish thing´ and thats ok for me

Well his album is good, not one of the best of the year but good, maybe because he is spanish and famous so he can attract another type of audience, but totally makes no logic for me.