Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

Just now, Mau5 said:

I disagree with your view with regards to the headliners. Every year, the headliners have always contained a couple of artists who are legacy acts, rare performers, random bookings or potential once in a lifetime bookings. For the first time, I don't believe there is one headline artist that fits that description. All of the headliners for the 2019 edition would make excellent sub headliners apart from arguably J Balvin who is not a great live performer like Gabi makes him out to be. The headliners may be critically acclaimed but that doesn't automatically mean they are big enough to headline the festival on their own.

It's possible the festival is moving into a territory where they have no big headliners and that's OK. There is strength in the undercard. But it can't be said that the headliners for 2019 have the same stature or pulling power as the headliners in prior years.

Which touring big acts you guys really think would've fit PS?

People would have been thrilled with The Cure, but they haven't released even a single song since their last headlining performance, so ruled out by Primavera criterias (just like Bon Iver and The National).

I think New Order, Chance the Rapper and Travis Scott would've fit, but seems like they are all touring Europe later this summer, with no dates in June so far. Kraftwerk would've been nice, but I expect Sonar to announce them at some point.

The only touring act I would've really liked for Primavera is Franz Ferdinand, which has an appeal for 00s indie boys, but I also love their latest album. Couldn't think of anything else.

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

No it´s not that, there are still very good albums that we will hear this year like Janelle Monae, Low and lots of others, it´s just that I was expecting those artists and none of them came here and it´s strange for me, maybe not for other people.

Speaking about that portuguese festival Gabi went last year, it´s the worst festival we have here in Portugal, in terms of artists, in terms of fans, just check their lineup. I also went to that festival because my friends offered me tickets and I went to see J Balvin, I heard his album before and I liked it but boy he was awfull, it was a simple reggeaton concert, nothing new, just backup dancers and a bit of lights.

Unless J Balvin makes a hell of a show in Primavera, with great visual show and dancers and stuff like that, I could see it again but I don´t know, and his voice is very bad at live concerts, it´s cringy.

Speaking of Cardi B, I also seen her last year, and for my surprise she is a great performer with a good show.

Can´t say the same about Future, I hated his show back in 2017 when I saw him in Lisbon.

On the Cardi B point I agree. Not a fan but I was watching her show from afar at Coachella and she put on one hell of a show. 

12 minutes ago, Orens said:

Which touring big acts you guys really think would've fit PS?

People would have been thrilled with The Cure, but they haven't released even a single song since their last headlining performance, so ruled out by Primavera criterias (just like Bon Iver and The National).

I think New Order, Chance the Rapper and Travis Scott would've fit, but seems like they are all touring Europe later this summer, with no dates in June so far. Kraftwerk would've been nice, but I expect Sonar to announce them at some point.

The only touring act I would've really liked for Primavera is Franz Ferdinand, which has an appeal for 00s indie boys, but I also love their latest album. Couldn't think of anything else.

Tool or Smashing Pumpinks, maybe? 

Smashing Pumpkins already booked by two other spanish festivals, so that's probably why they're not booked.

Kanye/Kids See Ghosts would have been great, but I doubt he will be in Europe.

Vampire Weekend are probably touring US in June. 

Not many possibilities to be honest. 

Just now, neacaisa said:

Tool or Smashing Pumpinks, maybe? 

Smashing Pumpkins already booked by two other spanish festivals, so that's probably why they're not booked.

Vampire Weekend are probably touring US in June. 

Not many possibilities to be honest. 

Gabi said Tool aren't Primavera type of headining act, he's fine with them on the bill but not on top of it.

He hates Samshing Pumpkins and their new stuff.

Vampire Weekend are strongly rumored to play Gov Ball in New York that weekend.

There's a reason to believe Primavera brought the finest possible batch of Primavera-esque headlining acts, especially considering their insistence of not repeating themselves and keeping it as fresh as possible. I would switch Interpol with Franz Ferdinand but that's probably it.

Just now, Orens said:

Gabi said Tool aren't Primavera type of headining act, he's fine with them on the bill but not on top of it.

He hates Samshing Pumpkins and their new stuff.

Vampire Weekend are strongly rumored to play Gov Ball in New York that weekend.

There's a reason to believe Primavera brought the finest possible batch of Primavera-esque headlining acts, especially considering their insistence of not repeating themselves and keeping it as fresh as possible. I would switch Interpol with Franz Ferdinand but that's probably it.

I call them Samshing Pumpkins after too many pints.

After nearly a week with this line up I can safely say that the 2019 Primavera is one of their best.  They have stayed true to what first got me into this festival back in 2010 & each edition (minus a couple) ever since.

Through what I like, recommendations from friends & people on the forum & end of year lists, the list of acts I want to see is immense -

Big Thief, Carcass, Dam-Funk

, Danny Brown

, Demdike Stare

, Dirty Projectors

, Erykah Badu

, FKA Twigs

, Guided by Voices

, Nas

, The Necks, Shonen Knife, SOPHIE

, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks

, Stiff Little Fingers, Yaeji, Soccer Mommy, Aldous Harding, Amyl & The Sniffers, Beak>

, Carly Rae Jepsen

, Fucked Up

, Helena Hauff, Iglooghost, Janelle Monae

, Jawbreaker, Low

, Midori Takada, Snail Mail

, Sons of Kemet XL

, Tame Impala

, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Built to Spill

, Haru Nemuri, Jon Hassell, The Messthetics, Neneh Cherry

, Pusha T

, Roisin Murphy

, Rosalia

, Solange , Stereolab

, Tim Hecker & Konoyo Ensemble, Tirzah, Kali Uchis, JPEGMAFIA, Tierra Whack

I find it hard to complain about this.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Well, from Kanyes label GOOD Music we got Pusha T, number 7 aggregated across 59 year end lists (at albumoftheyear), and president/CEO at Kanyes label. And we got NAS as a great rap legacy act (with a good 2018 record as well).

Edited by puckno

Im really curious to see how will this all go out, since I have already purchased plane ticket and airbnb looks like I will go to this shity edition of primavera and spread some postive energy with all these snowflakes, at least it looks like it wont be crowded,  everyday there are few new tickets for sale on ticketswap, I can bet they they will be back to old normal in 2020....

30 may : Inerpol/Fka Twigs/nitzer ebb/Apparat/Sophie/Myrkur/The Necks/denis sulta/shonen knife/krystal klear/anastasia kristensen

31 may : Tame Impala/Robyn/Suede/Yves Tumor/Low/Cybotron/Julia Holter/FUcked Up/Snail Mail/Objekt/Midor Takada/Agoria/

1 June : Stereolab/Rosin Murphy/Primal Scream/Modeselktor/Built to Spil/david August/Tim Hecker/Jon Hasell/ TIrzah/Haru Nemuri/Aisha Devi/Drab Majesty

Big Red Macine / Deerhunter/Hatchie/

there are probably few more interesting electronic names that I have to discover but mostly thats it

Edited by n=Nowheretohide

For me, the Saturday is probably the best day at any European festival announced so far. Think it's fair to say the line-up overall however, is poor - and that's as a result of this ludicrous policy they've introduced. They've also set a precedent now and surely have to do it in the future too? Awful idea.

16 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

For me, the Saturday is probably the best day at any European festival announced so far. Think it's fair to say the line-up overall however, is poor - and that's as a result of this ludicrous policy they've introduced. They've also set a precedent now and surely have to do it in the future too? Awful idea.

They have to fairly represent females each year? Good God, what a travesty.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

They have to fairly represent females each year? Good God, what a travesty.

you have trouble with understanding this.....will now university for lets stay classic music or on any other study goup will they now stop lookng for scores on exams and use this retarded gender policy and divide number of studens based on their gender...actually I belive lots of snowflakes on this forum think that should be also normal

Edited by n=Nowheretohide

6 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

you have trouble with understanding this.....will now university for lets stay classic music or on any other study goup will they now stop lookng for scores on exams and use this retarded gender policy and divide number of studens based on their gender...actually I belive lots of snowflakes on this forum think that should be also normal

You have any proof that Primavera has booked worse acts than it could have done in order to get more females on the bill?

In previous years I'm sure they could have booked some female acts instead of some male acts and kept the bill at the same level of quality.

There are loads of acts every year who don't get picked to play, and are just as good as the ones who do get picked. If they have the option of several acts who are just as good/just as qualified to play Primavera, choosing the female one in order to increase female representation on the bill isn't a bad thing.

1 minute ago, clasher said:

It is sexist though, isn't it? 

Why is it? Females are unfairly represented in the festival/music industry and because of that they're less encouraged to make music and aim to take their place in those industries. Large institutions like major festivals are some of the best placed people to reverse the unfair way in which males dominate the scene, and focusing on booking more females is pretty much the only way they can do this.

It's quite telling that the only people I've ever seen complaining about this are blokes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2018 has been an exceptional year for female artists, with 11 out of top 20 albums (aggregate year end list) female acts, increase that to 13 out of top 20 if you include Low and Beach House. There is no sexism in what Primavera is doing. It might be cheap marketing though, as it in reality is no sidetrack for Primavera to simply just present artists with relevance of our time, but as long it is for a good cause I have no problem with that. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Why is it? Females are unfairly represented in the festival/music industry and because of that they're less encouraged to make music and aim to take their place in those industries. Large institutions like major festivals are some of the best placed people to reverse the unfair way in which males dominate the scene, and focusing on booking more females is pretty much the only way they can do this.

It's quite telling that the only people I've ever seen complaining about this are blokes.

Sexism by definition is prejudice or discrimination based on sex. So if you choose one act over the other based on sex, it is sexism.

Therefore what you're proposing is fighting sexism with sexism, which makes just about as much sense as for example arming teachers to prevent school shootings.

I can play this game too. "It's amazing and oh so equal that we have so many female artists, but that's only a start! Trans-gender artist are underrepresented! Non-binary artists are underrepresented! I demand 50% good and 50% shit acts on the bill, because the shit acts are unfairly represented too!"

You get my point, I hope.

I wouldn't mind a 100% female lineup, nor a 0% female lineup and the least of all has my gender anything to do with it. What gets on my nerves is the PC nonsense that's now sadly entered music too. 

@puckno made some fine points. I would just add that it's not only cheap marketing, it is also harmful.

• Like 2

Transgender artists underrepresented? Well, we could politely ask Bradford Cox to wear the womens from the gig in 2013 if we badly have to reach that important goal of 0.5% transgender representation. Its all about appearances anyway, who cares if it is real.

Edited by puckno

Can't believe some people have a problem with equality!

If the only "headline worthy" acts are ones who've headlined major festivals before or do massive stadium tours, you just end up with the same acts on repeat. And festivals are scared to take a risk on someone different in case they don't sell out. This is a brave move from Primavera, I hope it pays off for them and encourages other festivals to take risks. Even if it was a cynical marketing ploy, anything that's going to raise the profile of women in music is good.

Glasto was going to be my only festival next year, but we got Primavera tickets on the strength of the line up. And listening on Spotify I'm finding more great things I'd never heard of before.

Call me a snowflake if you want, but I can't see a problem with providing a platform for female/transgender/non-binary/ethnic minority/disabled or otherwise under-represented artists. I'd prefer it if a festival didn't have to make a big thing of having a 50/50 gender split, but we're not there yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1