Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

8 minutes ago, Orens said:

You mean, they didn't book ALL of the best 2018 albums?

32 acts of the top 50 have appeared on either the 2018 or the 2019 bill (not counting 2016 or 2017 appearances such as Parquet Courts, Kamasi and Mitski), and there will be more of those in 2019. 

St. Vincent's album came out in 2017. Gabi said she was supposed to come over but couldn't make it eventually. I suspect she's not on tour this summer.

To be fair, St Vincent did have a critically acclaimed album in 2018.

21 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

To be fair I liked his album, the second half of the album is really good but he´s shitty live, I´ve seen him once, he was so bad that I had to leave, also my friends hated him and they like that kind of music. 

Gabi is insisting J Balvin is ?

image.thumb.png.5e9ac0ee261702cab0091e2c87c8f47b.png

I think the undercard is good- if's lacking in some of the retro surprises and the general indie moodiness I love (and which got me going to Primavera in the first place)- it does at least have a lot of interest and I shall treat it like a learning expedition- starting now via Spotify and YouTube lists. But headliners- yeah- disappointing. Unless they're yet to pull a major act of two out of the bag yet. I thought they always did this- as well as a few more  acts- but earlier in the thread someone mentioned that once the full line-up is out this rarely happens. Guess my memory fails me.

5 hours ago, Orens said:

Gabi is insisting J Balvin is ?

image.thumb.png.5e9ac0ee261702cab0091e2c87c8f47b.png

So Gabi came to the worst portuguese festival (Meo Sudoeste) .  Here in Portugal we have a say, that when a good festival is becoming too mainstream and full of the shitty artists, it is called «Sudoestização», 

and in 2017 we started to see the «Sudoestização» of Primavera, with gaining a all new level this year, for the worse. 

I understand the need for gender equality, but i can't understand why the mix a lot of bad stuff with good stuff just to say there is equality.  There are a lot of women that plays great music that were out of this line up (St. Vincent, Mitski, Let's Eat Grandma, to name a few).

I went to Nos Primavera Sound, since the first year, but this time will be first time i will think if i buy the ticket or not, after the line up reveal

29 minutes ago, Tigane said:

So Gabi came to the worst portuguese festival (Meo Sudoeste) .  Here in Portugal we have a say, that when a good festival is becoming too mainstream and full of the shitty artists, it is called «Sudoestização», 

and in 2017 we started to see the «Sudoestização» of Primavera, with gaining a all new level this year, for the worse. 

I understand the need for gender equality, but i can't understand why the mix a lot of bad stuff with good stuff just to say there is equality.  There are a lot of women that plays great music that were out of this line up (St. Vincent, Mitski, Let's Eat Grandma, to name a few).

I went to Nos Primavera Sound, since the first year, but this time will be first time i will think if i buy the ticket or not, after the line up reveal

Where is the ‘bad stuff’ that is only there for gender equality? If anything, they are doing the same as they’ve always done - booking critically acclaimed artists - and more than ever these well-reviewed albums are coming from women, and also more than ever it is trending towards pop and rap music for the same reason.

The music world is simply changing. Practically all festivals are either undergoing ‘Sudoestização’ or being left in the dark ages.

I am adamant that the problem people mainly have is that it isn’t strong enough at the top of the day, and blaming the New Normal for this instead of a mere lack of large, surprising names.

5 hours ago, Tigane said:

Seriously, 2017 of all years? 

Gabi said St. Vincent was supposed to play 2018, I don't know what happened but if doesn't seems like she's touring this summer.

Mitski played 2017 and Let's Eat Grandma played both 2017 and 2018, people would've been criticizing the festival for bringing them back 3 years in a row.

9 minutes ago, bernerber said:

I missed Deerhunter last year, which I'm a little gutted about. Anyone seen them live before? Is it worth me making the trip a day earlier than first planned, in your opinion?

They are really very excellent live. Especially if you're a fan and have never seen them live before. 

37 minutes ago, bernerber said:

I missed Deerhunter last year, which I'm a little gutted about. Anyone seen them live before? Is it worth me making the trip a day earlier than first planned, in your opinion?

I thought I was a fan but I didn't recognise many of the tunes they played last year. They were good though last year. 

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

They are really very excellent live. Especially if you're a fan and have never seen them live before. 

39 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

I thought I was a fan but I didn't recognise many of the tunes they played last year. They were good though last year. 

Yeah I've never seen them before and I've got it in my head now, so it's going to have to happen I think!

to be honest, i can't understand why people still defend this edition on this thread, any other festival would be torn to pieces on this forum if they booked this line up. headliners are simply atrocious, the undercard is pretty decent, but not the best by primavera standards imo, so it cannot salvage the edition. 

on the social media, the negative reactions are dominant. i think they will probably flop on ticket sales.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

to be honest, i can't understand why people still defend this edition on this thread, any other festival would be torn to pieces on this forum if they booked this line up. headliners are simply atrocious, the undercard is pretty decent, but not the best by primavera standards imo, so it cannot salvage the edition. 

on the social media, the negative reactions are dominant. i think they will probably flop on ticket sales.

Or it just isn't to your taste? By and large, the headliners this year are as critically acclaimed as usual, so that clearly isn't a consensus view.

And I'm not saying that with bias, as I'm not going to this festival and I personally prefer the likes of The Cure to what has been booked this year, but a lot of people I know think the lineup is amazing and it's not hard to see that it will appeal to a lot of people.

Even in the Glastonbury section of this forum there were loads of people fawning over this lineup and asking if we can just have it as the Glastonbury lineup.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Orens said:

You mean, they didn't book ALL of the best 2018 albums?

32 acts of the top 50 have appeared on either the 2018 or the 2019 bill (not counting 2016 or 2017 appearances such as Parquet Courts, Kamasi and Mitski), and there will be more of those in 2019. 

St. Vincent's album came out in 2017. Gabi said she was supposed to come over but couldn't make it eventually. I suspect she's not on tour this summer.

No it´s not that, there are still very good albums that we will hear this year like Janelle Monae, Low and lots of others, it´s just that I was expecting those artists and none of them came here and it´s strange for me, maybe not for other people.

Speaking about that portuguese festival Gabi went last year, it´s the worst festival we have here in Portugal, in terms of artists, in terms of fans, just check their lineup. I also went to that festival because my friends offered me tickets and I went to see J Balvin, I heard his album before and I liked it but boy he was awfull, it was a simple reggeaton concert, nothing new, just backup dancers and a bit of lights.

Unless J Balvin makes a hell of a show in Primavera, with great visual show and dancers and stuff like that, I could see it again but I don´t know, and his voice is very bad at live concerts, it´s cringy.

Speaking of Cardi B, I also seen her last year, and for my surprise she is a great performer with a good show.

Can´t say the same about Future, I hated his show back in 2017 when I saw him in Lisbon.

Edited by festivalguy97

27 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but instant reactions to a 226 acts announcement are plain ignorant, referring mostly to the headliners. I bet you aren't familiar even with half of the lineup. Most of us aren't.

Obviously, no other festival announces 226 acts at once, so I don't see the point in comparing the Primavera announcement to others. People didn't have the time to digest it and went out with pitchforks.

Speaking for myself - after three straight Primaveras the jury is still out, but I'm leaning towards coming making the trip once again. I'm looking for discoveries in the lineup, which as usual consists tons of exciting, new acts I haven't listened to before, and hoping to make a decision soon, while other festivals are looking less and less brilliant from my point of view.

People around me said Primavera would flop on ticket sales back in 2017, 2018. Obviously they were wrong, as it sold out months ahead of it, so I suggest you hold your horses with that last statement.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

No it´s not that, there are still very good albums that we will hear this year like Janelle Monae, Low and lots of others, it´s just that I was expecting those artists and none of them came here and it´s strange for me, maybe not for other people.

I was expecting Parquet Courts but I guess it really depends on the tours.

Mitski has been on an APE poster that was accidentally posted by one of the artists, so I believe she was supposed to be on EU tour during Primavera but something's changed. Today she was announced for Flow festival in August.

10 minutes ago, Orens said:

I was expecting Parquet Courts but I guess it really depends on the tours.

Mitski has been on an APE poster that was accidentally posted by one of the artists, so I believe she was supposed to be on EU tour during Primavera but something's changed. Today she was announced for Flow festival in August.

Very good point on Mitski.

I bet she was meant to be at Primavera and then decided to delay her tour.

Can hardly blame Primavera for that. Plus much as I love her on record she was a bit dull in 2017.

17 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Or it just isn't to your taste? By and large, the headliners this year are as critically acclaimed as usual, so that clearly isn't a consensus view.

And I'm not saying that with bias, as I'm not going to this festival and I personally prefer the likes of The Cure to what has been booked this year, but a lot of people I know think the lineup is amazing and it's not hard to see that it will appeal to a lot of people.

Even in the Glastonbury section of this forum there were loads of people fawning over this lineup and asking if we can just have it as the Glastonbury lineup.

I disagree with your view with regards to the headliners. Every year, the headliners have always contained a couple of artists who are legacy acts, rare performers, random bookings or potential once in a lifetime bookings. For the first time, I don't believe there is one headline artist that fits that description. All of the headliners for the 2019 edition would make excellent sub headliners apart from arguably J Balvin who is not a great live performer like Gabi makes him out to be. The headliners may be critically acclaimed but that doesn't automatically mean they are big enough to headline the festival on their own.

It's possible the festival is moving into a territory where they have no big headliners and that's OK. There is strength in the undercard. But it can't be said that the headliners for 2019 have the same stature or pulling power as the headliners in prior years.

13 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

I disagree with your view with regards to the headliners. Every year, the headliners have always contained a couple of artists who are legacy acts, rare performers, random bookings or potential once in a lifetime bookings. For the first time, I don't believe there is one headline artist that fits that description. All of the headliners for the 2019 edition would make excellent sub headliners apart from arguably J Balvin who is not a great live performer like Gabi makes him out to be. The headliners may be critically acclaimed but that doesn't automatically mean they are big enough to headline the festival on their own.

It's possible the festival is moving into a territory where they have no big headliners and that's OK. There is strength in the undercard. But it can't be said that the headliners for 2019 have the same stature or pulling power as the headliners in prior years.

I didn't say the headliners are as big as usual, though. He said the headliners are atrocious, I said they're as critically acclaimed as ever so that clearly isn't the consensus view.

I agree that there aren't as many big draws as usual, whether through blockbuster headliners or big, rare live acts. In fact I said the same thing to one of my mates when it was announced.