Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

1 hour ago, Orens said:

I wasn't familiar with J Balvin's music but tried his latest album, Vibras, and it's great. The best Raggaeton stuff I've ever listened to.

Glad he's on the bill.

To be fair I liked his album, the second half of the album is really good but he´s shitty live, I´ve seen him once, he was so bad that I had to leave, also my friends hated him and they like that kind of music. 

On 12/8/2018 at 5:59 PM, Orens said:

AF were supposed to present their new album on Primavera, the release was delayed for some reason was delayed. I actually spoke with Primavera's head of booking three weeks prior to the poster's release and he specifically told me the criteria for returning a big act is a new album to present. Arcade Fire spoke after the festival's announcement about a Spring 2017 release but something happened and they released it at the end of July (and it wasn't that acclaimed). Can't put that on Primavera Sound, as shit like this happens, plus the album turned out to be not as good as previous AF albums.

So would this mean that Solange and Tame Impala will have something ready by Primavera?

If I recall, Tame Impala ran into the same issues when they sub-headlined Coachella in 2015. Kevin mentioned the album was not ready as originally anticipated and the label pushed release back until July the same year.

Edited by Mau5

22 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

So would this mean that Solange and Tame Impala will have something ready by Primavera?

If I recall, Tame Impala ran into the same issues when they sub-headlined Coachella in 2015. Kevin mentioned the album was not ready as originally anticipated and the label pushed release back until July the same year.

Solange said in an interview she was releasing a new album by the end of the year... not sure if that will happen but surely it’ll be out before June. 

Tame Impala have not said anything definite (afaik) but there’s definitely a risk of nothing getting released due to Kevin pushing it back - he seems quite a perfectionist and I think his studio burnt down in the LA fire. Maybe they’ll do an Arcade Fire and announce the album at the festival?

5 minutes ago, sgreen7643 said:

Tame Impala have not said anything definite (afaik) but there’s definitely a risk of nothing getting released due to Kevin pushing it back - he seems quite a perfectionist and I think his studio burnt down in the LA fire. Maybe they’ll do an Arcade Fire and announce the album at the festival?

Primavera wrote this when they announced the lineup: "the champions of psychedelic pop Tame Impala presenting their long-awaited new album". 

You can read it here: https://www.primaverasound.com/noticiaSingle?origen=ps&id=1658

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Janelle Monae has been getting 5 star reviews across the board for her show.

We saw her in Amsterdam a few months ago, and it was amazing, best I've ever seen her. I was grinning like a maniac all the way through, especially when the vagina pants made their appearance. Only issue was that the show was a bit cramped on the relatively small stage, but that won't be a problem in Mordor.

Edited by daveje

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Janelle Monae has been getting 5 star reviews across the board for her show.

Just spotified her lp. It's far more interesting than the National or Arcade Fire. I'm beginning to this that the absence of Indie / Rock bands at the top of the bill isn't that bad, since I never listen to those bands anyway. Although I'm an Indie kid at heart, I'd rather watch good pop or hip-hip acts than lazy stadium indie any day. 

It's just finding the good pop and hip-hop in this line-up. 

40 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What others have people seen in recent months on the bill that is particularly good live??

I always find some acts are great on record, but not live and vice versa so helps to know in advance.

Sons of Kemet XL is immense. It's a four drummer setup, and hugely powerful and intense.

The Necks are always good to watch, they'll be in the Auditori.

Saw Beak> last week, always fun.

Also saw Suede recently, show as brilliant as always. Same with Roisin Murphy, her current band is probably the best she's had.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, daveje said:

Sons of Kemet XL is immense. It's a four drummer setup, and hugely powerful and intense.

The Necks are always good to watch, they'll be in the Auditori.

Saw Beak> last week, always fun.

Also saw Suede recently, show as brilliant as always. Same with Roisin Murphy, her current band is probably the best she's had.

Fantastic, thanks. 

Does anyone who's ever booked as late as February have a rough idea of what flight/ticket prices will be like around that time?

Prioritising saving up for other things at the moment but Primavera is very much on the to-do list so just trying to get an idea of how much it's gonna set us back. Would be flying from Manchester.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

What others have people seen in recent months on the bill that is particularly good live??

I always find some acts are great on record, but not live and vice versa so helps to know in advance.

The answer is always Fucked Up. They're immense live, their new album is incredible and they're playing a club concert at Sala Apolo on Wednesday. Going to be one those Primvera gigs.

Fucked Up live at Sala Apolo 2015

Edited by slowdive
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, slowdive said:

The answer is always Fucked Up. They're immense live, their new album is incredible and they're playing a club concert at Sala Apolo on Wednesday. Going to be one those Primvera gigs.

Fucked Up live at Sala Apolo 2015

Guys, Pogo Sunday has moved to Wednesday!

Incredible, although I'm already worried my legs will get tired earlier this time around.

Mark Ronson said that the new Tame Impala´s album will be out next year, not sure if it will be by the end of May but who knows. He also said that the new album “sounded amazing – like that’s a surprise to anyone. It’s pretty mind-blowing and great.” Kevin colaborated with SZA and Travis Scott in the past so I think this will be a very poppy album with some R&B and hip hop influencies maybe with colaborations, I think they will be even more popular after the album and on following years can headline things like Glastonbury and Coachella.

You can read it here:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/mark-ronson-tame-impala-kevin-parker-new-record-uptown-funk-2416092

Edited by festivalguy97

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

Mark Ronson said that the new Tame Impala´s album will be out next year, not sure if it will be by the end of May but who knows. He also said that the new album “sounded amazing – like that’s a surprise to anyone. It’s pretty mind-blowing and great.” Kevin colaborated with SZA and Travis Scott in the past so I think this will be a very poppy album with some R&B and hip hop influencies maybe with colaborations, I think they will be even more popular after the album and on following years can headline things like Glastonbury and Coachella.

You can read it here:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/mark-ronson-tame-impala-kevin-parker-new-record-uptown-funk-2416092

all reasons it will probably sucks big time....but thats new standards these days on Primavera

Edited by n=Nowheretohide
  • Downvote 4

I think that it´s weird that they didn´t book artists like Blood Orange, Kamasi Washington, St.Vincent, Brockhampton, Noname, Miski and Young Fathers, they all had albums this year and all of those albums very critically aclaimed and appeared on year end lists, some of them are on top 10 lists, I really expected at least half of these artists.

18 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I think that it´s weird that they didn´t book artists like Blood Orange, Kamasi Washington, St.Vincent, Brockhampton, Noname, Miski and Young Fathers, they all had albums this year and all of those albums very critically aclaimed and appeared on year end lists, some of them are on top 10 lists, I really expected at least half of these artists.

Nah. They've got an absolute stack of (critically aggregated) best of year end albums. Same number as every year.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2018/

Edited by xxialac

23 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

You mean, they didn't book ALL of the best 2018 albums?

32 acts of the top 50 have appeared on either the 2018 or the 2019 bill (not counting 2016 or 2017 appearances such as Parquet Courts, Kamasi and Mitski), and there will be more of those in 2019. 

St. Vincent's album came out in 2017. Gabi said she was supposed to come over but couldn't make it eventually. I suspect she's not on tour this summer.