Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

The actual line-up is the result of that 50% male/female ratio which was their goal and their strategy. Considering this political and social polemic and applying it as a gender equal fest is a big challenge and seeing the result with such a high quality of acts, acclaims big respect.  I think they could have booked big names for the next edition, but they voluntary renounced to put the focus on gender balance.

They are using the reputation of primavera to make a statement in music industry and especially in festivals. One has to have balls to announce such a risky line-up. In my eyes it is very innovative and avant-garde which will change the music fests in the upcoming years.

• Upvote 2

Just now, puckno said:

Well, you did well for 10 minutes ... :-D 

yep... I got baited, too tempting though!

5 minutes ago, Ecco said:

The actual line-up is the result of that 50% male/female ratio which was their goal and their strategy. Considering this political and social polemic and applying it as a gender equal fest is a big challenge and seeing the result with such a high quality of acts, acclaims big respect.  I think they could have booked big names for the next edition, but they voluntary renounced to put the focus on gender balance.

They are using the reputation of primavera to make a statement in music industry and especially in festivals. One has to have balls to announce such a risky line-up. In my eyes it is very innovative and avant-garde which will change the music fests in the upcoming years.

think its a call back to the years before the internet when smaller bands played higher up on lineups and they weren't just worrying all the time about booking whats popular like some of the older Glasto's. Seems to be a movement happening only thing stopping me at the moment is theres no real price difference from the fests with all the big acts.

1 hour ago, daveje said:

I'm really happy with the lineup. Much as I like the 80s/90s white-guys-with-guitars rock bands, I go to Primavera to get out of my comfort zone.

Primavera's lineup is fresh, exciting and challenging. Mad Cool's lineup is comfortable and safe.

^^THIS.  Can't agree more, the more negative stuff I read about the line up the more i love it. 

The new line up will just attract a new crowd (as well as some of the old) & judging by a few of the comments on this forum that can't be a bad thing :)

1 hour ago, Ecco said:

Of course, other festivals will watch this closely. But, let´s face it, if it doesn´t sell tickets, in the long run they will not care at all. Bottom line is the bottom line and no festival will tolerate financial losses. Most simply wouldn´t even be able to, even if they wanted. And Primavera won´t be an exception there, so if it doesn´t work out financially, the looks of PS 2020 or 2021 at the latest will change dramatically again.

6 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Of course, other festivals will watch this closely. But, let´s face it, if it doesn´t sell tickets, in the long run they will not care at all. Bottom line is the bottom line and no festival will tolerate financial losses. Most simply wouldn´t even be able to, even if they wanted. And Primavera won´t be an exception there, so if it doesn´t work out financially, the looks of PS 2020 or 2021 at the latest will change dramatically again.

exactly and tickets on ticketswap are already rolling after announcment of line up which  is made for part of youth with bad taste and its exactly part of youth that dont actually go to primavera...if they dont take some big credit somewhere I cant see how they plan to improve next year line up

3 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Absolutely true a festival can not survive with loss in the long term, this is the risk Primavera is taking with this line-up and future (not the artist) will show if their view will gain acclaim.

If the editions of 2020 or 2021 will be a 30/70 gender ratio for example, than their risk taking booking was a failure. 

29 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

Any guided by voices albums people would recommend? I didn't realise they'd been around so long. So too Primal Scream aside from Screamadelica which I know. 

I'd recommend the best of compilation Hardcore UFOs: The Best of Guided by Voices to start with. If it must be an album for whatever reason try Alien Lanes.

50 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

Any guided by voices albums people would recommend? I didn't realise they'd been around so long. So too Primal Scream aside from Screamadelica which I know. 

For GBV with such an extensive catalog you might find it better to listen up on the recent setlists. I had a look at them and the band plays an astonishing 50+ songs in 1.5 hours. You can convert the setlists directly to sxfy (if you are on that platform) by setify, e.g. the following link: https://setify.co/s/4b97878a  

25 minutes ago, slowdive said:

I'd recommend the best of compilation Hardcore UFOs: The Best of Guided by Voices to start with. If it must be an album for whatever reason try Alien Lanes.

6 minutes ago, puckno said:

For GBV with such an extensive catalog you might find it better to listen up on the recent setlists. I had a look at them and the band plays an astonishing 50+ songs in 1.5 hours. You can convert the setlists directly to sxfy (if you are on that platform) by setify, e.g. the following link: https://setify.co/s/4b97878a  

Thanks both much appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, puckno said:

I'll feel shortchanged if their set is anything less than 55 songs.

20 minutes ago, daveje said:

Yup. Every GBV gig needs to have at least one album’s worth of songs. 

Well now, lets not exaggregate.... average number of songs per album: 18.1

1987    Devil Between My Toes                14    
1987    Sandbox                                12
1989    Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia        14
1990    Same Place the Fly Got Smashed        13
1992    Propeller                            15
1993    Vampire on Titus                    18
1994    Bee Thousand                        20
1995    Alien Lanes                            28
1996    Under the Bushes Under the Stars    24
1996    For All Good Kids                    17
1997    Mag Earwhig!                        21
1999    Do the Collapse                        16
2002    Universal Truths and Cycles            19
2003    Earthquake Glue                        15
2004    Half Smiles of the Decomposed        14
2012    Let's Go Eat the Factory            21
2012    Class Clown Spots a UFO                21
2012    The Bears for Lunch                    19
2013    English Little League                17
2014    Motivational Jumpsuit                20
2014    Cool Planet                            18
2016    Please Be Honest                    15
2017    August by Cake                        32
2017    How Do You Spell Heaven                15
2018    Space Gun                            15

1 minute ago, puckno said:

Well now, lets not exaggregate.... average number of songs per album: 18.1

1987    Devil Between My Toes                14    
1987    Sandbox                                12
1989    Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia        14
1990    Same Place the Fly Got Smashed        13
1992    Propeller                            15
1993    Vampire on Titus                    18
1994    Bee Thousand                        20
1995    Alien Lanes                            28
1996    Under the Bushes Under the Stars    24
1996    For All Good Kids                    17
1997    Mag Earwhig!                        21
1999    Do the Collapse                        16
2002    Universal Truths and Cycles            19
2003    Earthquake Glue                        15
2004    Half Smiles of the Decomposed        14
2012    Let's Go Eat the Factory            21
2012    Class Clown Spots a UFO                21
2012    The Bears for Lunch                    19
2013    English Little League                17
2014    Motivational Jumpsuit                20
2014    Cool Planet                            18
2016    Please Be Honest                    15
2017    August by Cake                        32
2017    How Do You Spell Heaven                15
2018    Space Gun                            15

Sounds like they'd rival Pig Destroyer for album tracks! 

2 hours ago, Swanmob said:

I'd say Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes for GBV. 

Primal Scream - I think my next Favouritest is Sonic Flower Groove, but they won't play anything off that and it's not representative of the band now. Vanishing Point is the best of the post-Screamdelica lps but I think they'll draw heavily from Give Out But Don't Give Up given the recent release of the alternative Memphis version, which is probably where I'd start if I was you. 

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'd say Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes for GBV. 

Primal Scream - I think my next Favouritest is Sonic Flower Groove, but they won't play anything off that and it's not representative of the band now. Vanishing Point is the best of the post-Screamdelica lps but I think they'll draw heavily from Give Out But Don't Give Up given the recent release of the alternative Memphis version, which is probably where I'd start if I was you. 

Lovely, thanks. I'll get right on it. 

On their latest gigs Primal Scream played
* 4 tracks from Screamadelica
* 3 tracks form XTRMNTR
* 2-3 tracks from Give Out But Don’t Give Up
* 1 track each from Beautiful Future, Primal Scream  and Riot City Blues
That was back in August-September though, might change. 
My favourite album is XTRMNTR.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 6:38 PM, e2p2 said:

Freshness, just like music, means something different for different people. Last time Arcade Fire played at Primavera they played only 2 songs from their forthcoming album on both of their sets, same 2 songs ofc. Is it fresh? I don't think so. On the other hand, last time I saw the National half the set were songs from their forthcoming album (with one song I already heard before) so it was fresh enough but very disappointing for me. That same album turned out to be album of the year for me but I wish I saw them after that, when Im familiar with the songs. There's also a different feel to a set when a band doesn't feel oblige to play their recent output, especially when most of the bands doesnt tend to mix their setlist enough during a tour. 

AF were supposed to present their new album on Primavera, the release was delayed for some reason was delayed. I actually spoke with Primavera's head of booking three weeks prior to the poster's release and he specifically told me the criteria for returning a big act is a new album to present. Arcade Fire spoke after the festival's announcement about a Spring 2017 release but something happened and they released it at the end of July (and it wasn't that acclaimed). Can't put that on Primavera Sound, as shit like this happens, plus the album turned out to be not as good as previous AF albums.

Taking those risks and innovating is exciting, while other festivals keep rolling through the same bankable acts.

People go to Primavera to listen to fresh music and exciting acts. That's a main selling point for me and my friends. Most of my favorite albums over the past year were presented in PS 2018, and I didn't even know plenty of those acts a year ago. 

• Upvote 1