Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

I find it strange that people would now consider these type of acts (rather than the acts themselves) yesterday's news

Primavera is treating us wit a lot of acts that has something new on the table, to make them an exiting watch, e.g.  Robyn, Janelle Monae, Rosalia with critically acclaimed 2018 records, high up in most annual summaries, Interpol also with 2018 record, Solange with new record just around the corner, Tame Impala with possible new record, Erykah Baduh that have not at all played every corner of Europe the last couple of years, and so it goes.

This 
year I personally would not replace any of these names with acts like Bon Iver, National, Arcade Fire. They have played virtually every corner of Europe the last couple of years and have absolutely nothing new on the table as far as I know. But if they had a new record and so on... I am sure Primavera would have booked. 

9 minutes ago, gregory said:

They are both playing Primavera 2019 (as Big Red Machine) 

True, as BRM has a new 2018 record and have not yet played everywhere.

That being said, I also miss one or two more 'typical' big name indie band, but only if they had something fresh on the table and/or had not been playing virtually everywhere the last two years. From the Mad Cool I think The Cure, Smashing P, Vampire W, The Hives would be passable, but I expect there are reasons for why they are not playing. I also would have loved to have New Order at the festival. To give a few examples. Other than that most names at Mad Cool have already played PS quite recently.

Edited by puckno

I'm really disappointed with the line up, it's just not for me. 

Apologies if this has already been covered but how does it work if I want to sell my tickets? Can I sell them with my name on and some else use them or does the resale have to be done via an official website?

If resale is possible from person to person I have two tickets that I'm willing to sell for £130 each.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, dum surfer said:

new to this forum in particular, is this the full lineup for PS or are more acts added later down the line? 

The majority of the time , this is it

There are some cancellations (cardi b is my guess as cancelling this year) 

They also tend to have a few secret sets but not sure if they will be really focusing on that aspect this year as opposed to others

1 minute ago, brayshizzle said:

They also tend to have a few secret sets but not sure if they will be really focusing on that aspect this year as opposed to others

cool, am looking to go to this as my first European festival, know a lot of people who went this year and were raving about it. 

Who are some of the notable secret sets from the past few years?

1 minute ago, brayshizzle said:

There are always at least 6 acts added these days that play Hidden Stage

Last year Ride, Amaia, Lee Fields & The Expressions, Let’s Eat Grandma, Josh T. Pearson, Yung Beef.

Would expect another few to be added and a few to drop away too.

• Like 1

i believe they've had the 'hidden' stage for a good five or six years - i recall having to queue for tickets before the gates open each day a few years (the shows were in what's now the warehouse - Battles were amazing),

but then in the past couple of years it's become a stage in its own right which is good as it takes out that early queue (one year i went round to the dance area entrance to try and get a headstart - a useless idea as we then  had to run over that big bridge).

this year they had the names of all the previous secret stage headliners on the walls - as it's sponsored (Heineken) i can well imagine it'll be there again.

unless they've changed things up #newnormal

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

A lumbering dinosaur that has two of the most popular and critically-acclaimed headline acts from recent Primavera history (Bon Iver and the National) as well as some of the acts seemingly most desired from this thread for this year's PS (The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Vampire Weekend) whilst most of the undercard isn't out yet. How's that work? Has Primavera moved on so quickly from acts like this that anything from 2018 and before is now considered the Mesozoic era?  

I have missed a few years but "Mordor" (I wonder who first coined that term – it's amusing) seemed to be becoming its own separate event with fairly big white-guy rock acts back to back – off the top of my head I recall watching Blur, Nick Cave, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, Radiohead, Pixies, QOTSA, Shadow Puppets, Black Keys, Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, LCD, The National. If Primavera is deliberately saying enough' s enough, and maybe trying to drop some of that "demographic", then that's fine by me, even if personally I would have liked to have seen Vampire Weekend, The Cure or New Order.  

At this point I´ve seen people who liked this lineup and people who hated it, but we can agree on one thing: 2019 will be a shitty year for festivals, it´s seems that a lot of big bands are not touring next year. I think that Primavera will still end up with the best lineup in Europe, better than Mad Cool, Nos Alive and Glastonbury. 

With a lot of pop artists Primavera could be competing with Coachella next year, as every year they tend to have more and more similar artists.

Just now, festivalguy97 said:

At this point I´ve seen people who liked this lineup and people who hated it, but we can agree on one thing: 2019 will be a shitty year for festivals, it´s seems that a lot of big bands are not touring next year. I think that Primavera will still end up with the best lineup in Europe, better than Mad Cool, Nos Alive and Glastonbury. 

With a lot of pop artists Primavera could be competing with Coachella next year, as every year they tend to have more and more similar artists.

hilarious....mad cool looks already like another league for primavera and ther line p is not even finished

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

I think despite the initial slight disappointment it'll turn out to be ok once folk start looking a bit closer at the artists. Personally, artists like stereolab, guided by voices, primal scream, jarvis cocker et al have passed me by with little affect but I will be forced to scrutinise them a bit more now and may be pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, puckno said:

Primavera is treating us wit a lot of acts that has something new on the table, to make them an exiting watch, e.g.  Robyn, Janelle Monae, Rosalia with critically acclaimed 2018 records, high up in most annual summaries, Interpol also with 2018 record, Solange with new record just around the corner, Tame Impala with possible new record, Erykah Baduh that have not at all played every corner of Europe the last couple of years, and so it goes.

This 
year I personally would not replace any of these names with acts like Bon Iver, National, Arcade Fire. They have played virtually every corner of Europe the last couple of years and have absolutely nothing new on the table as far as I know. But if they had a new record and so on... I am sure Primavera would have booked. 

True, as BRM has a new 2018 record and have not yet played everywhere.

That being said, I also miss one or two more 'typical' big name indie band, but only if they had something fresh on the table and/or had not been playing virtually everywhere the last two years. From the Mad Cool I think The Cure, Smashing P, Vampire W, The Hives would be passable, but I expect there are reasons for why they are not playing. I also would have loved to have New Order at the festival. To give a few examples. Other than that most names at Mad Cool have already played PS quite recently.

Freshness, just like music, means something different for different people. Last time Arcade Fire played at Primavera they played only 2 songs from their forthcoming album on both of their sets, same 2 songs ofc. Is it fresh? I don't think so. On the other hand, last time I saw the National half the set were songs from their forthcoming album (with one song I already heard before) so it was fresh enough but very disappointing for me. That same album turned out to be album of the year for me but I wish I saw them after that, when Im familiar with the songs. There's also a different feel to a set when a band doesn't feel oblige to play their recent output, especially when most of the bands doesnt tend to mix their setlist enough during a tour. 

Edited by e2p2

I do not think Primavera tend to be on the ´bleeding edge´ with respect to this. To use The National as example (again), they had a new record out September 2017, and played Primavera 2018. It made perfectly sense. There are a lot of artists in this years lineup in the same type of cyclus. Thats how it works for the most part - artist release a record, prepare a new live show - create new stage visuals etc, then go on tour. (And one year later, after touring most of Europe, they go to Mad Cool... pun intended, but no disrespect to those who love the band.)

With respect to the latest Arcade Fire show at Primavera there were different opinions upfront - including criticism, no new material (only upcoming) since their previous visit - except for the Everything Now single which dropped two days before, they also world premiered their new stage set at Primavera (´a large transparent box provides a pounding light show and would often play host to some cosmic 3D video designs´). For many the big buzz around it felt like something special, with the 360 surprise show and everything. However I would have preferred the new record out for some time and including more of those songs, and I regretted going to the show with respect to some other acts I could have seen. I agree with you, for me it didn´t feel fresh.

23 minutes ago, puckno said:

I do not think Primavera tend to be on the ´bleeding edge´ with respect to this. To use The National as example (again), they had a new record out September 2017, and played Primavera 2018. It made perfectly sense. There are a lot of artists in this years lineup in the same type of cyclus. Thats how it works for the most part - artist release a record, prepare a new live show - create new stage visuals etc, then go on tour. (And one year later, after touring most of Europe, they go to Mad Cool... pun intended, but no disrespect to those who love the band.)

With respect to the latest Arcade Fire show at Primavera there were different opinions upfront - including criticism, no new material (only upcoming) since their previous visit - except for the Everything Now single which dropped two days before, they also world premiered their new stage set at Primavera (´a large transparent box provides a pounding light show and would often play host to some cosmic 3D video designs´). For many the big buzz around it felt like something special, with the 360 surprise show and everything. However I would have preferred the new record out for some time and including more of those songs, and I regretted going to the show with respect to some other acts I could have seen. I agree with you, for me it didn´t feel fresh.

Whilst I agree with you, the 360 degree AF show that was dropped on us with maybe 20 minutes notice was so unexpected and the energy so charged as to end up being the highlight of the festival for me. Just felt like a big unplanned party and being in the round felt massively fresh. Quite a stunt to pull off not to pre-announce and to utilise a brand new site. Plus they didn't play any of the weak songs on their new album!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Whilst I agree with you, the 360 degree AF show that was dropped on us with maybe 20 minutes notice was so unexpected and the energy so charged as to end up being the highlight of the festival for me. Just felt like a big unplanned party and being in the round felt massively fresh. Quite a stunt to pull off not to pre-announce and to utilise a brand new site. Plus they didn't play any of the weak songs on their new album!

AF are on of those bands that if you can see in a small venue or space, do it at all costs.

I got to the York Hall show in London and it melted me.