Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm very confused by the interest in stuff like Carly Rae Jepsen.

Just listened to quite a few songs and it seems like the soundtrack to a bad teen soap, with at best a few hooks but essentially utter garbage vapid pop loved by 12 year olds.

What am I missing?

My girlfriend was willing me to put this on youtube last night as she knows it and how bad it is but I resisted. I don't think you're missing anything mate, from the description, it's just awful music.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm very confused by the interest in stuff like Carly Rae Jepsen.

Just listened to quite a few songs and it seems like the soundtrack to a bad teen soap, with at best a few hooks but essentially utter garbage vapid pop loved by 12 year olds.

What am I missing?

Now I have to listen! 

A couple of obvious big names such as New Order wouldn't have hurt, but overall I think this line-up has plenty of quality and makes Mad Cool look like a lumbering dinosaur.  I think there is some history with Smashing Pumpkins which ruled them out (I may be imagining that).  Cardi B and Carly Rae are WTFs though.

An interesting lineup - loads of "mid-tier" bands / artists I'm looking forward to seeing....Shocked no Cure or Mitski but I think this year every lineup is struggling - APE is not a patch on last year so far...

Nothing will top the Radiohead Prima for me - but am excited about this...

6 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

An interesting lineup - loads of "mid-tier" bands / artists I'm looking forward to seeing....Shocked no Cure or Mitski but I think this year every lineup is struggling - APE is not a patch on last year so far...

Nothing will top the Radiohead Prima for me - but am excited about this...

Agree with absolutely everything you've written here.

Edited by xxialac

I'm really missing Grimes in this lineup, hope she will be added later or be a unexpected act. 

Otherwise this is amazing. So much I haven't seen before, and Primavera is now almost the only festival where I can say that. Hope I discover some gems when I dig deeper. So far I've found the Japanese band CHAI - so cool and energetic rock, and Channel Tres - kind of chillwave meets hiphop. 

1 minute ago, Martin_89 said:

I'm really missing Grimes in this lineup, hope she will be added later or be a unexpected act. 

Otherwise this is amazing. So much I haven't seen before, and Primavera is now almost the only festival where I can say that. Hope I discover some gems when I dig deeper. So far I've found the Japanese band CHAI - so cool and energetic rock, and Channel Tres - kind of chillwave meets hiphop. 

Good exploring. Let us know if you find others.

Half the acts I like at Primavera are usually ones I'd never even heard of on the day of the announcement.

9 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Chai are absurdly fun. Thanks for the tip. Loved Channel Tres too. 

It's happening again...!

• Like 1

Wow I've just now noticed Jon Hassell, such a living legend. HOW did they got him to play is beyond me, he pretty much never plays live, not more than ten times in the last fifteen years I reckon. I highly recommend to check him out and don't miss in him at Auditori.

Also Bliss Signal the new project of James Kelly from Altar of Plagues and Jack Adams ( Mumdance ) is great

2 hours ago, ConorC said:

Danny Brown has been great whenever I've seen him. One of my mates dislocated his shoulder when we watched him at WHP.

I've only recently got into JPEGMAFIA, dunno what his live shows are like but I'd expect it to be energetic to say the least based on his music.

I saw Danny Brown supporting Run The Jewels last year. After that show I became a huge Danny Brown fan, to stuff live. 

13 minutes ago, livenstu said:

This may have already been noted but The Messthetics (Joe Lally and Brendan Canty from Fugazi)

Some days ago (one week?) I announced they were going to play for sure. I talked with Brendan Canty after a MC5 show (he's playing the drums with them), and he told me that The Messthetics were going to play at Prima 

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

A couple of obvious big names such as New Order wouldn't have hurt, but overall I think this line-up has plenty of quality and makes Mad Cool look like a lumbering dinosaur.  I think there is some history with Smashing Pumpkins which ruled them out (I may be imagining that).  Cardi B and Carly Rae are WTFs though.

A lumbering dinosaur that has two of the most popular and critically-acclaimed headline acts from recent Primavera history (Bon Iver and the National) as well as some of the acts seemingly most desired from this thread for this year's PS (The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Vampire Weekend) whilst most of the undercard isn't out yet. How's that work? Has Primavera moved on so quickly from acts like this that anything from 2018 and before is now considered the Mesozoic era?  

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

A lumbering dinosaur that has two of the most popular and critically-acclaimed headline acts from recent Primavera history (Bon Iver and the National) as well as some of the acts seemingly most desired from this thread for this year's PS (The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Vampire Weekend) whilst most of the undercard isn't out yet. How's that work? Has Primavera moved on so quickly from acts like this that anything from 2018 and before is now considered the Mesozoic era?  

Honestly I like the Mad Cool lineup a bit more but the PS lineup makes me kind of ashamed to do so. Mainly because of Greta Van Fleet.

Both Bon Iver and National is yesteryears news, have played Primavera recently, has no new record, and have played virtually every festival in Europe since then. Why on earth should wish for those to play at Primavera 2019? Better move on to festivals like Mad Cool...

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Honestly I like the Mad Cool lineup a bit more but the PS lineup makes me kind of ashamed to do so. Mainly because of Greta Van Fleet.

Haha. Tbh I knew nothing about them until last week,. When I heard the name I think I thought they were a female solo artist like Sharon Van Etten. I listened to two songs and thought they were a pale imitation of classic rock and didn't get much further. 

17 minutes ago, puckno said:

Both Bon Iver and National is yesteryears news, have played Primavera recently, has no new record, and have played virtually every festival in Europe since then. Why on earth should wish for those to play at Primavera 2019? Better move on to festivals like Mad Cool...

If this was a response to me, I'm not suggesting these two acts should've played at all. But clearly there's been a shift away (except maybe Tame Impala) from these what I would consider your typical PS headliners that fill half of Mordor (Radiohead, Arcade Fire etc as well) and I find it strange that people would now consider these type of acts (rather than the acts themselves) yesterday's news. Mad Cool largely has the exact type and stature of acts that PS have booked (and delighted PS attendees) over the last few years, yet it's being criticised here. 

Edited by The Martini Police

Some kind soul has started making a playlist with three songs from each artist. I know the festival normally do this but someone has best them to it.

I'd highly recommend spending a week working through this as it's been so helpful for me the past few years.

Just type "primavera sound 2019" into Spotify and choose the playlist with the most followers.

1 hour ago, puckno said:

They are both playing Primavera 2019 (as Big Red Machine)