Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

A strong and diverse undercard as always but I can understand why people are disappointed with the top names. It's a funny thought but if the top names were replaced by the current Mad Cool top names, I think people would have accept it much better (I know that the National headlined last year and Bon Iver not so long etc, but you get the idea). 

I get the impression that this lineup shoud´ve taken more time to be made, it feels a bit rushed, I mean I´ve seen Future live here in Portugal and he is awful, same thing about Cardi B, and I have friends that went to see J Balvin and they are big fans of him and he was very bad too.

Then you have names like Solange that last year weren´t even a headliner and now she´s headlining Saturday, same thing about Tame Impala.

Very poor choice for hip hip, only 5 big acts and 2 of them are bad, last year with Rocky, Tyler and Vince it was so good.

The rest of the lineup is good, it´s stacked with good artists, but I think if they´re replaced some headliners, added things like St.Vincent, Brockhampton, Kids See Ghosts, it would be much better. 

Edited by festivalguy97
  • Upvote 3

Just now, JedTheHumanoid said:

Shame it's on Sunday and not during the festival itself. Hopefully around early after-noon, as I usually fly back Sunday Evening

I will say that it's a bit shit that they never post the Sunday date as an official day as there is always stuff still going on (in the park & the Apolo).  Gutted to be missing Cate Le Bon on the Tuesday prior to the festival.

After looking at the lineup, it's not bad. It is varied although a bit too heavily top reliant on Pitchfork approved pop & R&B/rap, which is far too spread out across the three days. I feel like it wouldn't have been a massive issue if they had put the likes of CRJ, Charli XCX, Kali Uchis, Rosalia, Janelle and FKA twigs amongst others on a single day or two days. Instead, they are spread all across the three days and same for the rap acts as well.

The second problem is it is missing actual headliners. None of the headliners scream 'I must see this' to me.

Edited by Mau5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cortomaltese said:

Undercard is strong as always, but there are zero headliners except Erykah and Tame (who come for a third time since 2013).

Im afraid twerking represents the new primavera aesthetics thats why line up is full with r&b, rap, hiphop.

And almost all of the r&b, rap, hiphop artists are shit, I mean Cardi B, J Balvin, Future? I like the new direction because hip hop and r&b are my favorite genres of music but I don´t like those artists, I expected far more diversity and far more hip hop but it´s ok.

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

And almost all of the r&b, rap, hiphop artists are shit, I mean Cardi B, J Balvin, Future? I like the new direction because hip hop and r&b are my favorite genres of music but I don´t like those artists, I expected far more diversity and far more hip hop but it´s ok.

Right about the hip-hop. Expected something in the level of Kendrick/Paak/Gambino, not these names.

Pusha T is cool though, and puts a good show

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

Saturday headliners are particularly weak

Solange - 3rd name down on her day in 2017, now no.1 headliner despite having done nothing since then....

J Balvin and Rosalia are nobodies compared with previous headline names.

Look at the lower lines that day: Stereolab, Primal Scream, Jarvis Cocker, Modeselektor, Pusha T, built to spill, Tim Hecker. Great day to be far from the big stages

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Saturday headliners are particularly weak

Solange - 3rd name down on her day in 2017, now no.1 headliner despite having done nothing since then....

J Balvin and Rosalia are nobodies compared with previous headline names.

Solange is expected to drop a new record very soon, and her live shows in 2017 were sublime. A great booking.

• Like 1