Slam Dunk 2019

LRDJ

I had a really great time at South on Sunday - even the weather didn't spoil it.  The bar queue was annoying, but was driving, so normally would have had 2 or 3 in the afternoon, but stuck at one (agree it was just badly organised - should have been smoother.  Also as the queues got bigger people started buying bigger rounds, which just compounded things.)

As for the bands:

William Ryan Key - good start to the day, nice and chilled with some good sing-alongs.

AntiFlag - great set - normally not too fussed about them, but loved them today

Busted - Thoroughly enjoyed it.  There was such a good reception for them, you couldn't help but love the sight of heavily tattooed, skinheads belting out Airhostess at the top of their voice!  Great call Slam Dunk.

As it is - caught a couple of songs, but not my bag

Interrupters - Really good - basically a Rancid/Distillers love child, but fab set.

Millencollin - OK, sound wasn't great though

Saves the Day - Terrible - saw them first back in the Concrete Jungle days of Leeds fest (2001?) and loved them, but just sounded whiny!

Lagwagon - OK, but sounded quite samey

Neck Deep - Saw a few songs and really enjoyed - crowd seemed to be loving them

Less Than Jake - Band of the festival for me - played all the hits, great banter - my throat hurts because of you.

Bad Religion - Had high hopes, but wasn't feeling it today and poor sound, vocals were weak -  left half way.

Mezzingers - Seemed ok, but don't really know them

NOFX - Great way to close a festival - good songs and a few laughs too.

Overall, really happy with the bands.  Can't wait to see what they pull out of the bag next year.  They always seem to surprise me and lure me in. 

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

You think that Sum 41 are a bigger cammodity in the UK than Don Broco who have recently played an arena tour that sold well? Don Broco are perfect for the SD crowd (they got a huge crowd when they played the main stage a couple of years ago under Enter Shikari) and are certainly big enough to headline it. 

I’m not even sure than Sum 41 would headline. I think they could get away with putting them as a sub in all honesty. 

It's not I dont think Don Broco could do it, it's more the headliners are a different and I get Shikari was only two years ago but they've since had Good Charlotte and JEW then ATL and Bullet, or kind of NOFX as Jager has gone from being the biggest stage a couple of years ago to only the 3rd biggest now. Sum 41 wouldn't sub, you had a band that would play about 7th at Reading, Sum 41 were 5th down there. That said I wouldn't rule out them in the Bullet slot as opposite someone like ATL would be perfect, luckily I like then enough still but there isn't many others it could have been for me really and a choice between Bullet and NOFX of both I'm not huge on I didn't want.

I feel currently with two sites to sell and the bigger price that the more mainstream acts will continue on the monster and the heavier headline act if you like will be smaller. I can defo see them trying to get Punk in Drublic back again as crowd wise that looked to do really well and would essentially just need a couple of acts swapped out for those at Download...Zebrahead quite obviously.

17 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I had a really great time at South on Sunday - even the weather didn't spoil it.  The bar queue was annoying, but was driving, so normally would have had 2 or 3 in the afternoon, but stuck at one (agree it was just badly organised - should have been smoother.  Also as the queues got bigger people started buying bigger rounds, which just compounded things.)

As for the bands:

William Ryan Key - good start to the day, nice and chilled with some good sing-alongs.

AntiFlag - great set - normally not too fussed about them, but loved them today

Busted - Thoroughly enjoyed it.  There was such a good reception for them, you couldn't help but love the sight of heavily tattooed, skinheads belting out Airhostess at the top of their voice!  Great call Slam Dunk.

As it is - caught a couple of songs, but not my bag

Interrupters - Really good - basically a Rancid/Distillers love child, but fab set.

Millencollin - OK, sound wasn't great though

Saves the Day - Terrible - saw them first back in the Concrete Jungle days of Leeds fest (2001?) and loved them, but just sounded whiny!

Lagwagon - OK, but sounded quite samey

Neck Deep - Saw a few songs and really enjoyed - crowd seemed to be loving them

Less Than Jake - Band of the festival for me - played all the hits, great banter - my throat hurts because of you.

Bad Religion - Had high hopes, but wasn't feeling it today and poor sound, vocals were weak -  left half way.

Mezzingers - Seemed ok, but don't really know them

NOFX - Great way to close a festival - good songs and a few laughs too.

Overall, really happy with the bands.  Can't wait to see what they pull out of the bag next year.  They always seem to surprise me and lure me in. 

I agree that having a drink compared to not would have been a different experience as I'd always drove before.

LTJ and The Interrupters Rancid cover was ace.

I actually caught year 3000 and for their set if I hadn't been there for what I go to school for then crashed the wedding isn't worth it but agreed with As It Is, saw them a couple of years ago and enjoyed it but it's full of very newer stuff, lead singer has changed a lot and probably should have sacked to give Turnstile a go although not really a fan...didn't go in that tent tbf. Bad Religion playing Punk Rock Song at Leeds but not South was weird.

I could almost see S41 headline the PiD/Fireball stage next year if available and then get a younger act for the main.  As they've had the likes of Bowling for Soup, Reel Big Fish and now NOFX - not a big leap to S41.

Doubt it would be PiD next year - as don't think they'll tour it every year.

I had a great time at south. The queues for the bar were ridiculous, I think that was a staffing issue rather than a not enough bars issue.

Turnstile and The Interrupters were my bands of the day. I was sad that NOFX were so bad. It wasn't even in their charming, rough round the edges NOFX way, they were just really bad. 

I think it’ll go back to being the Fireball Stage next year. PiD was just a thing that NOFX were touring anyway. 

Alexisonfire headlining the Impericon is a great shout, actually. I like it. 

Don Broco / Sum 41 / The Story So Far would be a treat of a top 3 on the main stage. 

15 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I could almost see S41 headline the PiD/Fireball stage next year if available and then get a younger act for the main.  As they've had the likes of Bowling for Soup, Reel Big Fish and now NOFX - not a big leap to S41.

Doubt it would be PiD next year - as don't think they'll tour it every year.

Yeah if they keep it then Sum 41 could just about do it and I agree I think the main stage is only going to continue having younger more mainstream acts headline, it's not like they are selling £40, even £50 tickets now...£60 is quite a lot compared.

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think it’ll go back to being the Fireball Stage next year. PiD was just a thing that NOFX were touring anyway. 

Don Broco / Sum 41 / The Story So Far would be a treat of a top 3 on the main stage. 

Just pointing out that PiD is something toured often, been the last 3 years although obviously only in Europe this year and not always as extensive. 

If they drop it back down they won't need that stage to host it, I think they would go back to that being the Jager stage and put Fireball in the Jager style tent this year but not crossing over.

Did you find issues at Temple as I'd be interested if that's worth a go, also as it didn't occur to me fully that Leeds is the original area for Slam Dunk I believe.

Great festival but the bar queues were an absolute joke. Took 30 minutes plus to get served. Also a majority of the food vendors wouldn't accept card which made eating tricky.

Other than that Busted were great, story of the year were amazing, Atreyu were band of the weekend. BFMV were terrible, 5 minute long drum solo indicated a good time to leave. Caught the end of All Time Low and was pleasantly surprised

Don Broco next year please

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah if they keep it then Sum 41 could just about do it and I agree I think the main stage is only going to continue having younger more mainstream acts headline, it's not like they are selling £40, even £50 tickets now...£60 is quite a lot compared.

Just pointing out that PiD is something toured often, been the last 3 years although obviously only in Europe this year and not always as extensive. 

If they drop it back down they won't need that stage to host it, I think they would go back to that being the Jager stage and put Fireball in the Jager style tent this year but not crossing over.

Did you find issues at Temple as I'd be interested if that's worth a go, also as it didn't occur to me fully that Leeds is the original area for Slam Dunk I believe.

I’ve genuinely got nothing to complain about in terms of the new site in Leeds. I didn’t have to queue longer than 5-10 minutes at any bar all day and the urinal queues were non-existent. Female toilet queue took about 10-15 minutes when I waited with my girlfriend. I found that there was no sound bleed between stages unless you were stood bang in the middle of the PiD and Key Club tent but then again why would you be stood there unless you were waiting for someone? Whilst watching bands at particular stages it was fine and I couldn’t hear another stage. I liked how the walk between stages didn’t take long either. 

I would definitely recommend the North date as South sounds like it has some problems. Plus, Northerners are way friendlier anyway :P

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Great festival but the bar queues were an absolute joke. Took 30 minutes plus to get served. Also a majority of the food vendors wouldn't accept card which made eating tricky.

Other than that Busted were great, story of the year were amazing, Atreyu were band of the weekend. BFMV were terrible, 5 minute long drum solo indicated a good time to leave. Caught the end of All Time Low and was pleasantly surprised

Don Broco next year please

Oh God, I forgot about the drum solo! 

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Oh God, I forgot about the drum solo! 

Will stick with me for a while

Could have played another song off the poison in that time (instead of the 2 that were included in the set) or even better chucked in Hand of Blood

17 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve genuinely got nothing to complain about in terms of the new site in Leeds. I didn’t have to queue longer than 5-10 minutes at any bar all day and the urinal queues were non-existent. Female toilet queue took about 10-15 minutes when I waited with my girlfriend. I found that there was no sound bleed between stages unless you were stood bang in the middle of the PiD and Key Club tent but then again why would you be stood there unless you were waiting for someone? Whilst watching bands at particular stages it was fine and I couldn’t hear another stage. I liked how the walk between stages didn’t take long either. 

I would definitely recommend the North date as South sounds like it has some problems. Plus, Northerners are way friendlier anyway :P

Cheers sounds decent. Like I've said, usually I drive and I have one cider, maybe another later on but even at Midlands I could see you didn't wait that long to get served and as said people started buying them in lots of 4 so they had enough to get through for a while.

No sound bleed unless you came out a bit to meet a mate but then you don't care. On the Bullet stance, my mate went in there for a few mins and said it was dreadful and left.

Don't mind waiting 10 mins but I think we had from before NFG started to after All Downhill From here and maybe the next song finish too before we got served.

I really can’t see how they’ll manage to top this years lineup, like the Punk in Drublic and Impericon stages are so perfect for their demographic. I’d assume the main stage is, also. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

They’re miles bigger than any band that played that stage this year though, although I suppose if it’s in the same tent as BFMV then it’s probably no different. I’m fully in for doing my first Slam Dunk next year so that would be a fucking awesome start.

I think once they have ironed out the kinks, it will be really great, it's only the second year in the new location in Hatfield.

The main problems seem to have been the bars and not all the food vendors accepting card, which is likely to be contractor issues, rather than the festival. The phone signal was annoying, but there's not really all that much that can be done about that, you put 15,000 people in a field and it's bound to be bad.

I had an amazing day at the North site. It was my first Slam Dunk and definitely not my last. Echoing the sentiments regarding toilets and bar queues, the time we spent waiting was awful, especially in the rain. However, it didn't ruin the overall experience and the music more than made up for any issues I had.

William Ryan Key - Thoroughly enjoyed the Yellowcard singalong in the sun with a cider in hand. Great start to the day.

WSTR - Enjoyable set, thought they were better than at Download last year. Nothing outstanding though.

Anti-Flag - Caught about 4 or 5 of their songs and was really into it. I only know a couple of their songs but was really impressed with their energy.

Busted - Was queuing for a drink so didn't see much of their set, also left early to catch the whole of Turnstile so in total only watched about 3 songs. They were alright, it was a nice nostalgia trip. I later walked past two guys who were discussing it and had hoped the secret set was The Dillinger Escape Plan, imagine the disappointment!

Turnstile - Insane, I have nothing but good things to say about these guys. Best set of the day. 

The Interruptors - Stumbled across these guys by accident whilst I was waiting for Cancer Bats but was super impressed with them. Great festival band and got me to check out their music. Would see them again.

Cancer Bats - Amazing set, banger after banger! They looked like they were having a great time too which put a smile on my face.

Simple Plan - Watched the first few songs with my friend as I'd not seen her for a lot of the day. They played a few old songs which I knew so that was nice, wouldn't rush back to see them again though.

Employed To Serve - HEAVY. The pit was brutal, the energy was high. Really really good, made me forget about the downpour outside the tent. The new album sounded great live too, especially Force Fed.

Gallows - I enjoyed what I saw of them, however I was so cold and soaking wet from walking across the site in the rain and queuing for the loo so that kind of impacted my enjoyment a bit.

Touche Amore - If there was one band I wouldn't mind standing outside in the rain for, it would be these guys. Starting the set with Flowers And You and New Halloween was super emotional. I sang my heart out and loved every minute of their set. Second favourite act of the day, beaten only by Turnstile.

Glassjaw - Another great set. Didn't watch the whole thing because I was meeting up with my friends so we could all watch NOFX together but they were killing it.

NOFX - I know a lot of people were disappointed with their set but I had a great time. I don't know their music too well but I found them entertaining, there was potentially too much filler and talking throughout so I can see why the more hardcore fans got annoyed. They said it was the worst they had ever played but I didn't think it was that bad. I also nearly got hit in the face by a guy crowdsurfing in a recycling bin, but that's beside the point. The rain had stopped by this point so I was just happy to be outside and made the most of it all. All in all, a fun way to end an amazing day!

2 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

I'm not sure I would describe Interrupters as a cross between Rancid and Distillers myself. Rancid I can sort of see (especially with Tim doing guest vocals on every album) but Distillers were a very feisty punk early on and moved into a more alternative sound later on. It's only really they both have women as their lead signers where I can see the connection.

5 minutes ago, Traher666 said:

I think once they have ironed out the kinks, it will be really great, it's only the second year in the new location in Hatfield.

The main problems seem to have been the bars and not all the food vendors accepting card, which is likely to be contractor issues, rather than the festival. The phone signal was annoying, but there's not really all that much that can be done about that, you put 15,000 people in a field and it's bound to be bad.

Vodafone install big 'temporary' phone masts at Leeds fest to drag more signal into the area so its absolutely a thing that is possible.

1 minute ago, Peskybee said:

NOFX - I know a lot of people were disappointed with their set but I had a great time. I don't know their music too well but I found them entertaining, there was potentially too much filler and talking throughout so I can see why the more hardcore fans got annoyed. They said it was the worst they had ever played but I didn't think it was that bad. I also nearly got hit in the face by a guy crowdsurfing in a recycling bin, but that's beside the point. The rain had stopped by this point so I was just happy to be outside and made the most of it all. All in all, a fun way to end an amazing day!

I've seen NOFX about 4 or 5 times, and they are always like that - any hardcore fans would have expected it.  I'd be disappointed if they just played!  The songs were pretty tight, despite their counts of how many songs they fucked up.   :)

1 minute ago, jump said:

I'm not sure I would describe Interrupters as a cross between Rancid and Distillers myself. Rancid I can sort of see (especially with Tim doing guest vocals on every album) but Distillers were a very feisty punk early on and moved into a more alternative sound later on. It's only really they both have women as their lead signers where I can see the connection.

Aimee's vocals are very similar in sound to Brody's.  Maybe not as shouty, but the normal singing voice is pretty close.

Just now, AshP said:

Vodafone install big 'temporary' phone masts at Leeds fest to drag more signal into the area so its absolutely a thing that is possible.

Honestly didn't know that, I guess it's something they will consider and look in to. I suppose it depends on how much it costs to have that set up. Slam Dunk is smaller than Leeds Fest by 65,00, so it's probably much easier for it to be worth it for them.

1 minute ago, gary1979666 said:

I've seen NOFX about 4 or 5 times, and they are always like that - any hardcore fans would have expected it.  I'd be disappointed if they just played!  The songs were pretty tight, despite their counts of how many songs they fucked up.   :)

That's good to know! Honestly, I was so confused by the way some people around me were talking about them. I didn't notice any major screw ups, but I'm not too familiar with a lot of their music. 

13 minutes ago, Peskybee said:

Busted - Was queuing for a drink so didn't see much of their set, also left early to catch the whole of Turnstile so in total only watched about 3 songs. They were alright, it was a nice nostalgia trip. I later walked past two guys who were discussing it and had hoped the secret set was The Dillinger Escape Plan, imagine the disappointment!

Ouch, no idea where they got DEP from but that would have been insane

Overall fairly impressed on Sunday, the site and stages were a really nice size. The infrastructure (namely bars) needs to catch up with capacity and even though it'd take quite a special line up to get me back I'd recommend it, especially to those who live a little closer. Through no fault of the festival, mainly just unfortunate timings with the trains, it took us over 4 hours to get home which was a bit of a buzzkill.

Bands of the day were Busted - great atmosphere, Gallows - been a fan for a while, Simple Plan who I saw for the first time in about 15 years, and All Time Low who were a lot more fun than I expected. 

53 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Overall fairly impressed on Sunday, the site and stages were a really nice size. The infrastructure (namely bars) needs to catch up with capacity and even though it'd take quite a special line up to get me back I'd recommend it, especially to those who live a little closer. Through no fault of the festival, mainly just unfortunate timings with the trains, it took us over 4 hours to get home which was a bit of a buzzkill.

Bands of the day were Busted - great atmosphere, Gallows - been a fan for a while, Simple Plan who I saw for the first time in about 15 years, and All Time Low who were a lot more fun than I expected. 

I love the fact someone else in here bothered with Simple Plan, I loved it as I expected, also been about 15 years...might have been not since supporting Avril Lavigne.

Everything of what you've said about the event basically.