Slam Dunk 2019

LRDJ

Great day despite the rain. Loved the site overall - lots of green, lots of space. Never seen the quick turnaround stage thing before at a festival - very impressive! 

They definitely need to provide more toilets for next year. Urinals fine for us blokes but the poor ladies were queuing for an absolute age.

Also while there was plenty of good food options, £8.50 for a cheese burger was a joke as was £6 for a craft beer.

Nowt 'punk' about those prices.  

• Upvote 1

Milk Teeth, The Bronx and The Interrupters were the highlights for me. I was abit disappointed with Cancer Bats, not the best I've seen.

The bar queues were really pissing me off, it took 30mins one time. How am I meant to get drunk with these wait times!

First time I've ever been to a major festival, ques were bad waited 50 minutes for two pints of beer (Slam Dunk IPA is disgusting for future reference) apart from that the standout act for me was Gallows. Turnstile, Cancer Bats and The Bronx lived up to the hype. Employed to serve, Busted, As It is and Bad Religion were good My girlfriend went completely insane for Simple Plan. Pretty dissapointed in Neck Deep and Interrupters apart from that great day hope you all enjoyed.

Echo a lot of people’s comments about bar/toilet queues and some vendors not accepted cards yesterday. Think they really need to iron out a better queuing system/more staff/more bars and being more prepared for serving people, the staff were so slow. I think it was pretty poor considering the queues for the bars last year weren’t bad so in that respect slam dunks organisation has gone down but I’m not sure if that’s because the site seemed a lot busier than last year but they should be learning from mistakes and not just running the festival into a cash cow however surely improving the bar system will make them more money as we got a round of drinks at the start of the day, managed to get a cocktail from the monster signing tent middle way through the day and then drank a few more when the bars were a bit less busy for new found glory and all time low, basically getting served straight away allowing us to get drinks at the after party and not miss out on the great bands the festival had to offer. I also think they seriously need to add some more toilets as it was a struggle for my girlfriend to go to the toilet, we went to the main stage toilets at the left and she had to use the disabled toilets every time as the queues were so bad you’d miss all the bands you’ve paid to see. Same as last year so no improvement however there were gaps by fences around the site available to put extra toilets so I just think slam dunk need to use the space they have and keep their customers happy or people will start going elsewhere - download/2000 trees/abroad. Regarding the vendors not taking card I agree this was pretty bad and was the case last year where I was very unhappy about this as last year there were no cash points, so an improvement that their were cash points but again queues were a problem however after the palaver from last year we’d made sure we took enough cash to cover our day so we didn’t need to use the cash points. So improvements to be made however if they can correct these issues they’re onto a winner.

The lineup was fantastic, the different genres were great. So good that you can catch ska/punk/rock/metal acts in such a small vicinity and depending on what you’re into you can have a completely different day regarding the acts you see. Liked the rotational stages and the sound was pretty good all day for an outdoor event. Not sure they can get a better lineup for next year but we shall see! 

Stand out acts for me were Turnstile, The Interrupters, Neck Deep and All Time Low. The Menzingers were amazing as well but left early for all time low so will decently be catching these guys when they next tour the UK. 

Edited by foolee
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, foolee said:

Echo a lot of people’s comments about bar/toilet queues and some vendors not accepted cards yesterday. Think they really need to iron out a better queuing system/more staff/more bars and being more prepared for serving people, the staff were so slow. I think it was pretty poor considering the queues for the bars last year weren’t bad so in that respect slam dunks organisation has gone down but I’m not sure if that’s because the site seemed a lot busier than last year but they should be learning from mistakes and not just running the festival into a cash cow however surely improving the bar system will make them more money as we got a round of drinks at the start of the day, managed to get a cocktail from the monster signing tent middle way through the day and then drank a few more when the bars were a bit less busy for new found glory and all time low, basically getting served straight away allowing us to get drinks at the after party and not miss out on the great bands the festival had to offer. I also think they seriously need to add some more toilets as it was a struggle for my girlfriend to go to the toilet, we went to the main stage toilets at the left and she had to use the disabled toilets every time as the queues were so bad you’d miss all the bands you’ve paid to see. Same as last year so no improvement however there were gaps by fences around the site available to put extra toilets so I just think slam dunk need to use the space they have and keep their customers happy or people will start going elsewhere - download/2000 trees/abroad. Regarding the vendors not taking card I agree this was pretty bad and was the case last year where I was very unhappy about this as last year there were no cash points, so an improvement that their were cash points but again queues were a problem however after the palaver from last year we’d made sure we took enough cash to cover our day so we didn’t need to use the cash points. So improvements to be made however if they can correct these issues they’re onto a winner.

The lineup was fantastic, the different genres were great. So good that you can catch ska/punk/rock/metal acts in such a small vicinity and depending on what you’re into you can have a completely different day regarding the acts you see. Liked the rotational stages and the sound was pretty good all day for an outdoor event. Not sure they can get a better lineup for next year but we shall see! 

Stand out acts for me were Turnstile, The Interrupters, Neck Deep and All Time Low. The Menzingers were amazing as well but left early for all time low so will decently be catching these guys when they next tour the UK. 

I'd need something decent to get me back to that as the queues were ridiculous. 30 minutes queuing while New Found Glory were on for a pint, I heard all downhill from here but I'd rather have been in the crowd more than queuing as I missed it last time.

Personally thought All Time Low, LTJ, Interupters, NFG and Simple Plan were great. Others I saw were decent but we're more I'm happy to see if there acts. The Midlands date was miles better imo.

I did notice the bar staff seemed to short staffed and poorly managed, at one point the guy takes my money walks 20 feet to get to collect the drinks bring them back but has to go back again as he couldn't carry all of them. Another time the cashier says to the another guy Symonds and he starts pouring out Smirnoff into a pint cup. It was odd the bar by the Dickies stage opened late too when it was one of the first stages with acts starting to play. I only managed to get through the day as I found a bar with 10-20 min queues but they were long walks from the stages we were at.

Thought I’d review what I saw: 

Cruel Hand - watched these from sitting just outside the tent. They sounded great and were a real energetic start to the day - 7/10. 

Kublai Khan - smashed it. Beatdown after beatdown. Crowd was super into it and the pits were brutal. Another strong start to the day - 8/10. 

Knocked Loose - Jesus. They absolutely wrecked the place. The tent was rammed and they played banger after banger. The new songs sounded crushing. They’re only going to get bigger and bigger and are a real flag bearer for that scene. One of my favourite sets of the day - 8/10. 

Turnstile - OH MY GOD. Not only the highlight of the festival but quite possibly the highlight of 2019 so far. It felt like everyone was in the tent for their set. The crowd was rabid and going nuts from the first second to the last. The band were having a great time, Brendan was climbing up the stage and diving in the crowd. I crowd surfed over the barrier during Gravity and got a hug from a sweaty Brendan which was awesome. Honestly, I’m now at the stage where I think they are the best band on the planet.  Their set was perfect. They need to be playing on main stages. The energy from everyone involved, band and crowd, was something I’ve rarely seen. Possibly the best festival set I’ve ever seen. I won’t stop banging on about this set for a while - 10/10. 

Seaway - meh. I went along for the few song I like. Was happy that I got to hear Best Mistake but overall I thought they were pretty dull. Nothing memorable at all - 4/10. 

Cancer Bats - watched these from just outside the tent and they sounded great. Tent was really busy. Kind of wish I had been in the thick of it as I really enjoyed it - 6/10. 

Real Friends - really fun set. The between song speeches got a little tiresome but you could tell the band were excited to be there after pulling out last year. Crowd was super into it. Made for a great singalong - 6/10. 

Neck Deep - decent set from ND as always. Decent set length. Crowd was lapping everything up and he singalong was great despite the rain. Torn is one of their best songs without a doubt even though it is a cover. It such a great cover. The rain sucked, though. Really sucked - 7/10. 

Touché Amoré - I really like Touché Amoré, and adore Stage Four, but I decided against watching them on Saturday as the material from that album just makes me really sad and I could anticipate a downer being put on my day. However, I did wander over just as they started and managed to catch Flowers and You and New Halloween which were excellent to see. It didn’t really make me sad like I expected but I could feel it starting so decided against watching the rest of their set. I was happy seeing those two songs. The crowd was excellent for them though and really passionate. I don’t want to give them a score because I only saw two songs. 

Atreyu - fucking great. It might have had something to do with the volume of beer I’d drank by this point but I had the best time watching Atreyu. I was really into them when I was younger and was really looking forward to hearing the older material so, suffice to say, I lost my shit when they opened up with Becoming The Bull into Right Side of the Bed. I had so, so much fun - 8/10. 

The Menzingers - one of my favourite bands in recent years and probably the set I was most looking forward to in the build up to the festival. It was all so perfect. The setlist was perfect, the crowd was perfect. It was a perfect singalong set full of anthems for 50 minutes. Genuinely one of the best, most feel good bands on earth. I bloody adore this band - 9/10. 

Bullet For My Valentine - I used to be a massive Bullet fan when I was in my late teens but was really disappointed with their set at Download last year (where they should have been nowhere near sub-headlining the main stage). I only went along to watch them as my phone had died and my friends were watching them and I didn’t want the hassle of trying to find them later. I was disappointed once again I’ve come to the conclusion that BFMV are properly naff. Matt Tuck’s on stage chat just sounds so stock and disingenuous. The crowd obviously popped for the older material but seemed largely uninterested in anything beyond Fever. I found their set to just be naff. That’s the best word I can use to describe Bullet For My Valentine in 2019. They’re irrelevant, boring, thankfully on the decline they should have been on a while ago (sub headlining DL one year to headlining the second stage at SD a year later) and I think they’d be better off packing it in. There is nothing exciting about them. I know I’ve already praised Atreyu but at least Atreyu don’t harp on like they are a big deal in the way BFMV still do - 3/10. 

Overall, I would rate the day at 9/10 and as best Slam Dunk I’ve been to with the best lineup. I loved the new site and the setup and I’m looking forward to next year a lot. A perfect start to festival season. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

I enjoyed Slam Dunk this year despite the rain and saw pretty much everyone I wanted too apart from Angel Du$t because of getting in.

WSTR - Started to watch them but I don't know why but they actively annoyed me so I just went to find my mates mates before Knocked Loose. I don't even hate WSTR, just couldn't stand to watch it a second longer. Will try it again at Trees though.

Knocked Loose - ngl, I thought that the singers voice was really goofy. Like, it's higher than what it on record and I thought it was hilarious. Still, a great set and I enjoyed it. 7/10

Tiny Moving Parts - Made me realise that I really don't like their new album and no Dakota? Seen them be far better than what I saw on Sat 5/10

Turnsitle - Despite getting hit in the face hard and missing a few mins I loved their set. Still one of my favourite live bands but nothing does compare to a no barrier headline show by them. Though, still one of the best bands of the day 9/10

Tigers Jaw - Haven't really listened to them in a few years but they were good fun. A nice change of pace from Turnstile, just a few emo tunes in the sun 7/10

Seaway - Seen them do far better but I had fun, though they need to sort their setlists out; like 6 songs from the new album with one b side from that album while the first gets only one even though it got the best reception of the whole thing. 6/10

The Get Up Kids - Prefer these guys to Saves the Day so made me happy, just sat down for this one. They were decent. 6/10

Real Friends - Yeah it was ok, not a huge fan but I was a but fun. Seen them be far more boring, though I did kinda forgot I saw them until I saw Andre's post, maybe it was the alcohol or maybe it's the band. I don't really know 6/10

Employed to Serve - Yeah, these are one of the best metal bands in the country right now. Just got some nasty rifts 8/10

Neck Deep - I don't know about everyone else but the sounds where I was for them was awful. Tried moving several times but it still sounded bad. Still enjoyed it though, it was just a nice singalong. Didn't fancy getting too far forward cos I didn't want to miss any of... 7/10

Touche Amore - Reminded me why they probably my favourite band rn. I know I hated the rain but it was cool af for them. Great band, can do no wrong and always incredible live. Was a bit gutted that they didn't do Dead Horse in full like they teased but getting Gravity Metaphorically was great. Wish, they did something of Dead Horse at least but I've got tickets to see them and Deafheaven in Oct so I'll survive. Favourite set of the day for me for sure 9/10

Glassjaw - Saw the first two songs and wish I could have stayed for the rest as they sounded class but I really wanted to see The Menzingers

The Menzingers - Perfect festival band for me, just great for a dunk singalong. Their set was so much fun and I loved every second of it. It was also nice bumping into @Andre91 (I think so anyway, I was so pissed at that point) at the end and he helped me get up for a crowdsurf so that's great 9/10

All Time Low - Didn't really pay attention. Just chatted to my mate who was working the bar, seemed alright enough I guess ?/10

Sum everything up; had a good time and hopefully I'll be to go next year as well. New site wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, though thank god I have a cock/only needed to piss cos those toilet queues looked awful. Bar queues weren't that bad at North, didn't think I even waited even up to 5 mins, though they do need to sort out their stock. Dickes/Marshall ran out of beer by 8pm. Think they could easily tweak it next year though.

Edited by justanothername
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Thought I’d review what I saw: 

Turnstile - OH MY GOD. Not only the highlight of the festival but quite possibly the highlight of 2019 so far. It felt like everyone was in the tent for their set. The crowd was rabid and going nuts from the first second to the last. The band were having a great time, Brendan was climbing up the stage and diving in the crowd. I crowd surfed over the barrier during Gravity and got a hug from a sweaty Brendan which was awesome. Honestly, I’m now at the stage where I think they are the best band on the planet.  Their set was perfect. They need to be playing on main stages. The energy from everyone involved, band and crowd, was something I’ve rarely seen. Possibly the best festival set I’ve ever seen. I won’t stop banging on about this set for a while - 10/10. 

Touché Amoré - I really like Touché Amoré, and adore Stage Four, but I decided against watching them on Saturday as the material from that album just makes me really sad and I could anticipate a downer being put on my day. However, I did wander over just as they started and managed to catch Flowers and You and New Halloween which were excellent to see. It didn’t really make me sad like I expected but I could feel it starting so decided against watching the rest of their set. I was happy seeing those two songs. The crowd was excellent for them though and really passionate. I don’t want to give them a score because I only saw two songs. 

Once you see Turnstile in a sweaty no barrier venue there is no going back, their fest sets are fun but those are something else :P 

Also Touche killed it dude, should have stayed for the whole thing. You're at least gonna go to the tour in Oct though right?

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Predictions for 2020 headliner? At the moment, I’m thinking one of the following: 

- Don Broco 

- Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes 

- Alexisonfire 

- Sum 41 

Sum 41 is the only one out of those that would headline the Slam Dunk main stage. Frank, Broco and Alexis 2nd stage.

Overall though as a festival, I saw what I wanted but I much preferred the indoor setting of Midlands. As a short person I was back unfortunately to not being able to see some acts as well as I'd like to and being too far away which wasn't an issue before....can't be bothered to push past the crowds all the time. Also beer waiting times at a 15k do were shocking, should it continue then basically the festival want your cash and nothing else. People saying about this festival expanding, if it does that will only get worse...it tells you something when getting served at Reading with 80k is easy, getting served at Slam Dunk took 5 minutes before and now it's a huge arse ache, but you either wait for a beer or you don't have one.

5 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Day ruined by long queues and lack of bars, cash only food places (its 2019 for gods sake) and toilet situation. They also need to sort out the signal there. Need big names next year for me to think about going again. 

Phone was shocking, trying to meet my mate after sets was crazy!, there was just way too much of an amateur feel this year 11 years in and a I fear we have entered the we've got your money stage.

I can't fault everyone I saw bar one act but I knew that would be a bit shit....should have sacked it off for someone I'd never seen may be but ah well. What I don't want to do is hear bands I've paid to see while waiting st a massively understaffed bar, I found a bar through a fence at the end of the day that was dead but chances are it was just as busy earlier on.

6 hours ago, justanothername said:

Once you see Turnstile in a sweaty no barrier venue there is no going back, their fest sets are fun but those are something else :P 

Also Touche killed it dude, should have stayed for the whole thing. You're at least gonna go to the tour in Oct though right?

That certainly was me during The Menzingers! I meant to say that I kept up my seemingly annual habit of bumping into @justanothername at Slam Dunk :lol: I was very much the same level as drunk and didn’t realise it was you at first. Good to see you and you’re welcome for the lift up for the crowd surf. What a set. 

Oh, man. I saw Turnstile in Cardiff on the last tour in October without a barrier. WILD. 

I can’t make a single date of that Touché / Deafheaven tour and I am gutted. They’re all midweek  and in really far off places from me (curse rural Lincolnshire) and with it being during term time, there’s no way I could drive to Manchester, Bristol or London and back and be fine for work the next day. 

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Sum 41 is the only one out of those that would headline the Slam Dunk main stage. Frank, Broco and Alexis 2nd stage.

Overall though as a festival, I saw what I wanted but I much preferred the indoor setting of Midlands. As a short person I was back unfortunately to not being able to see some acts as well as I'd like to and being too far away which wasn't an issue before....can't be bothered to push past the crowds all the time. Also beer waiting times at a 15k do were shocking, should it continue then basically the festival want your cash and nothing else. People saying about this festival expanding, if it does that will only get worse...it tells you something when getting served at Reading with 80k is easy, getting served at Slam Dunk took 5 minutes before and now it's a huge arse ache, but you either wait for a beer or you don't have one.

You think that Sum 41 are a bigger cammodity in the UK than Don Broco who have recently played an arena tour that sold well? Don Broco are perfect for the SD crowd (they got a huge crowd when they played the main stage a couple of years ago under Enter Shikari) and are certainly big enough to headline it. 

I’m not even sure than Sum 41 would headline. I think they could get away with putting them as a sub in all honesty.