Slam Dunk 2019

LRDJ

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Angels and Airwaves please. That’d be lovely. 

I really do think that if Slam Dunk continues to expand as it has within the next decade it could end up being a 2 day dual site festival that works in the same way as R&L with bigger acts headlining. 

I like the idea of this format. 

I think Don Broco or Sum 41 or great shouts. Think Blinks too big to head next year. A&A too small, but could play elsewhere.

Are Paramore too big to play? Would be good seeing more women on the line up. This year is particularly poor. 

34 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Are Paramore too big to play? Would be good seeing more women on the line up. This year is particularly poor. 

I wouldn't say that, I'm potentially seeing four bands with women in them. Milk Teeth & The Interrupters are two of the highlights of the day for me (The Interrupters are the main reason I'm going) and depending on the timings maybe Pagan & Bombpops as well.

Sod it

Main Stage: Don Broco, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, The Story So Far, SWMRS, Real Friends, Puppy, Hot Milk Special Guests: Simple Creatures

Stage 2: Sum 41, The Wonder Years, Four Year Strong, A, Jamie Lenman, The Frights, Yours Truly

Impericon Stage: Title fight (UK Exclusive), Basement, Drug Church, Single Mothers, Defeater, Culture Abuse, Floorboards

Metal Stage: Papa Roach, While She Sleeps, Ghostemane,  Black Peaks, Blood Youth, Employed To Serve, Venom Prison.

Ska Punk Stage: Probably Reel Big Fish, The Aquabats, Adaquete Seven, Barstool Preachers

Other Pop Punk/Rock Stage: Creeper, PUP, Mallory Knox, Can't Swin, Scarlxrd, Gender Roles, Nervus, Fresh.

Acoustic Stage: Jamie Lenman, Aled Phillips (EX-KIGH) Chas Palmer Williams

Other Possibilities: Alklaine Trio, Refused, The Distillers, Holding Abscene, Black Futures, Martha, Muncie Girls, Modestep, Bury Tomorrow, A reunion of some band like Funeral For A Friend, Blackout, Ghost of a thousand

Edited by Alex Winstone

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Angels and Airwaves please. That’d be lovely. 

I really do think that if Slam Dunk continues to expand as it has within the next decade it could end up being a 2 day dual site festival that works in the same way as R&L with bigger acts headlining. 

Let's hope not and they keep it to a small size. AVA are very bad live so I hear, friend went to see them at Leeds a while back and Tom couldn't remember the words...and what he did know was awful but then he can't sing so that s no shock.

44 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Let's hope not and they keep it to a small size. AVA are very bad live so I hear, friend went to see them at Leeds a while back and Tom couldn't remember the words...and what he did know was awful but then he can't sing so that s no shock.

I’ve seen them be really good and just alright. In no way should they headline but sub would seem right or headlining another stage. 

17 hours ago, jump said:

I wouldn't say that, I'm potentially seeing four bands with women in them. Milk Teeth & The Interrupters are two of the highlights of the day for me (The Interrupters are the main reason I'm going) and depending on the timings maybe Pagan & Bombpops as well.

Only 13% of the line up features band with at least one women in it. I think thats pretty bad. I know pop punk isnt great in general tho.  

2 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Only 13% of the line up features band with at least one women in it. I think thats pretty bad.   

Is anyone really that bothered? We just want the best bands available, right? 

Edited by Henrik
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Only 13% of the line up features band with at least one women in it. I think thats pretty bad. I know pop punk isnt great in general tho.  

I'm so woke I don't see gender when listening to music, it actually makes it really hard for me to create stats as I refuse to put things into an archaic binary gender.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

There's definitely choice out there. Stand Atlantic, Vukovi, Dream State and New Year's Day (from memory, probably others too) have all played the Breakout stage in recent years and will almost certainly return at some point. I'm surprised they haven't had Against The Current play yet. They will no doubt try for Paramore but with the band moving away from playing their older stuff I don't know if it will have quite the same level of appeal.

In terms of reunion returns, give me Forever the Sickest Kids now they're back together and throw money at Hey Monday.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

There's definitely choice out there. Stand Atlantic, Vukovi, Dream State and New Year's Day (from memory, probably others too) have all played the Breakout stage in recent years and will almost certainly return at some point. I'm surprised they haven't had Against The Current play yet. They will no doubt try for Paramore but with the band moving away from playing their older stuff I don't know if it will have quite the same level of appeal.

In terms of reunion returns, give me Forever the Sickest Kids now they're back together and throw money at Hey Monday.

I'm really not keen on that lot (then again I'm not keen on the main stage most years either) but I'd be hoping for Skints (who I saw last night and were fucking quality!), Save Ferris, Sonic Boom 6, Against Me (they count right?), Marmozets or Rolo Tomassi who have all played before. 

I'm surprised Hands Off Gretel haven't been added to one of the lower stages before, they normally love Leeds local bands.

I didn't bother looking at most stages, but the point stands they have a decent list of female representation they can call on, I imagine it comes down to who's touring and rotating from previous years. Marmozets are great, would love them back next year.

I've liked what I've heard of from Hands Off Gretel, tempted to get to their Cardiff show next month.

15 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I've liked what I've heard of from Hands Off Gretel, tempted to get to their Cardiff show next month.

You should, they are fun live and their tixs are normally less than the cost of two pints.

If you do go get there early! Their hardcore followers are likely to be their first in and they all look like fashion models dressed up as punk rock/bondage Barbie & Ken. This makes for a weird contrast against the grey mega-bearded old guy rockers who always show up to gigs early on the opposite side of the room, and it looks like they are about to get into a West Side Story type fight.

4 hours ago, jump said:

I'm so woke I don't see gender when listening to music, it actually makes it really hard for me to create stats as I refuse to put things into an archaic binary gender.

Yer i didnt create the stat theres a great twitter page that looks into it. pretty interesting. 

21 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Yer i didnt create the stat theres a great twitter page that looks into it. pretty interesting. 

Got a linky dink?

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm expecting a preachy account that focuses on complaining rather than celebrating women in music.