119 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is The Best Day?

• Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • Monday

Real toughie. Heart says Wednesday but head says Friday or Saturday.

Wednesday is glorious in so much as you're back! you have the whole weekend ahead of you and you can't beat that excitement. At the same time easily the worst part of the whole weekend is queuing with all your gear. Last year we were in and pitched up by 9.30 but still queued for about 4/5 hours and that was probably our most successful year. Driving through the night and queuing also lead to a bit of tiredness, although theirs obviously cures for that. The other thing is that there's no bands. That's maybe the beauty of the Wednesday but by Thursday i just want it to kick-start already!

I'll go for Saturday. Everyone is in full party mode, it's the biggest night for us usually, bands all over the shop, etc..

Pre-festival Tuesday.  By nightfall, 90% of the build is done. Most venues are finished, signed off and cleaned up. The paint is drying, tools away, stocks are checked and everyone knows exactly what they have to do for the next 6 or more days to make the magic happen. The whole site looks amazing. The air is ripe with anticipation. Everyone working the festival is on site, briefed and raring to go. We see the car parks filling up and of course we already know the changes on site. We all know we should get an early night as from Wednesday onwards it’s gunna get seriously busy when the gates are opened. I try to get to bed before 3 but always fail and.... I can never sleep anyway......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Pre-festival Tuesday.  By nightfall, 90% of the build is done. Most venues are finished, signed off and cleaned up. The paint is drying, tools away, stocks are checked and everyone knows exactly what they have to do for the next 6 or more days to make the magic happen. The whole site looks amazing. The air is ripe with anticipation. Everyone working the festival is on site, briefed and raring to go. We see the car parks filling up and of course we already know the changes on site. We all know we should get an early night as from Wednesday onwards it’s gunna get seriously busy when the gates are opened. I try to get to bed before 3 but always fail and.... I can never sleep anyway......

I meant to include Tuesday, only realised I'd missed it off once I posted. 

I'd love to be there for the Tuesday night. Must be glorious, seeing it all ready, but empty.

I originally voted Friday, but when I think about it....

My first year Sunday was both my worst moment and best moment of the whole festival.

My second year Sunday was also my most fun day. 

Its by far the saddest day (because Monday doesnt even count as a day) but theres something about knowing it's my last chance to seize everything Glasto has to offer. I end up letting go and having the most fun. 

I'm already sad about Sunday next year. 

Beaten to it, but Tuesday. For the reasons that Ian says further up, but also meeting up with old friends that I only see once or twice a year, watching/hearing the crowds build up outside the fence, cracking parties in the crew bars

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd love to be there for the Tuesday night. Must be glorious, seeing it all ready, but empty.

You say that but there's still a small/mid sized festivals worth of people on site already.

And then, if I've not got an early shift on Wednesday morning, being woken up by the helicopter monitoring the queues and traffic. I swear it hovers directly above my van every year

I feel there's a strong argument for Thursday.... you've done the hellish, frustrating journey and queuing of Wednesday, complete with fighting to get your tent up, realising it's the hottest day in the world and you've camped 20 minutes stagger away from the nearest tap and putting your too-excited 'first-Glastonbury' mates to bed at 10pm... Thursday you get in at the crack of dawn having spent all night at the silent disco in the Park on the other side of site, stumble into bed for a few hours and then wake up like it's the first day of the summer holidays again. Hanging and the whole festival ahead of you just knowing you're back! 

Thursday day: wake up around 10/11, stuff some cereal bars and a cold tin down your neck and clamber down the hill to get a cup of tea. Bimble around all day, special attention on the Green Fields area for some chilled out vibes. Evening, explore explore explore to find the best of the night-time action before it all gets too busy to move over the rest of the weekend!

This is making me sad/excited...........

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2018 at 9:51 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I LOVE Tuesday night. I usually get there on Sunday or Monday now, so by Tuesday I've walked the entire site, watching it build and grow and visited my favourite spots and been to say hi to the dragon, and drunk lots of pints in lots of crew bars, and I know I should get an early night but nope...

Wednesday morning I'm usually awake before 6am listening to Worthy FM and waiting for the massive YAAAAAYYYYYY when the gates open, and out and about by 8am watching the masses get in looking like they've won the fucking jackpot even though they're carrying their body weight in camping kit and it's 29C in the shade... 

I love the place when it's empty and all mine; I love it even more when you lot arrive on Wednesday morning!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Went with Saturday, but could have voted any of them really. Well, except Wednesday. My only experience with that was 2016 and spent all day stuck in traffic ha. Made it just in time for the fireworks, mind.

Thursday's always massive fun - arriving, setting up camp, the grand tour (even better if there are newbies), and spending the evening at Williams Green.

Friday always seems to have a packed lineup, and a lot of dashing about watching bands, which means I often crash relatively early after the headliners...

...but as a result have loads of energy for Saturday. By this point I've usually nailed the band/chill ratio and it often ends up being my favourite day of the weekend.

Sunday is bittersweet, but we're always determined to go out with a bang, and use the slightly quieter crowds to make the most of the SE corner til dawn. Always a great night.

Definitely gonna miss the place this year!

Edited by Lubic87

Thursday, my favourite day of the year.

You are in and settled, full of energy and well stocked supplies, no rushing around trying to see bands, and the whole weekend ahead of you. Everyone is fucking up for it.

Wednesday is too much hard work for it to be considered the best day.

Friday and Saturday are wonderful, can't really say one is better than the other, depends on the bands really.

Sunday is the worst for me, can never shake the thought that its all coming to an end, no matter how hard I try.

I love the build up on Wednesday and Thursday.....the mood seems to ramp up over the two days. Annual Baggy Mondays feels like a bit of a launch party.....but I go for Friday.....you can't beat the feeling that all your planning for who you're going to see goes to rat shit and you end up going with the flow for the rest of the weekend 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Yea  love the Tuesday. As everyone who is there has mentioned. Lovely atmosphere.

I quite like the Monday before as I am camped up and at night the first bar crawl of the week with friends to talk rubbish with.

2 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Annual Baggy Mondays feels like a bit of a launch party

Yep.  It's repetitive, predictable and cheesy, and I absolutely adore it. Think it was 2016 when the sun broke through the clouds in the afternoon in perfect timing with the big finish singalong for I Am The Resurrection. Heaven.

Another vote for Wednesday but Thursday is pushing it for me. You simply cannot beat that first sight of the site when you arrive on Wednesday and the excitement just rushes through you. Once set up, the ceremonial beverage has been drunk it's time to bimble, or head to the efest meet which was just dandy last year.

Have had some great moments on Thursday too, but the adrenalin rush that is Wednesday just pips it.

Edited by Hotchilidog

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, priest17 said:

Sunday is a warm down.

No no no! Monday is the warm down.

I usually think that as I'm not going to be here for at least another year (or in this case 2 years) I must drain every last drop out of Sunday!

I've had some amazing Wednesdays, so I vote Weds.

The sense of expectation, fresh faces, fresh farm, high energy levels combined with good music, chatting shit and not having to be anywhere at a particular time, taking first timers up the hill etc etc etc.

Only just over a year to go!

I've mentioned it a few times on here but I reckon generally, you're enjoyment of Sunday evening is inversely proportional to the distance you have to travel on the Monday morning.

It was always a depressing sleep on a Sunday night at Dairy, the dread of the 5am alarm to get offsite before the queues and the cheers of the party still going on somewhere either at Arcadia or The Park.

Close but Wednesday didn't quite make it for me now due to the getting in hassle. Love the Wed evening 'roar' mind which sometimes happens Thurs as well. Thurs wins cos there are a few eclectic bands on. Remember a time when it was only a Thurs arrival which meant Friday would have won tbh.