1. 1. Which Is The Best Day?

• Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • Monday

Throwing my hat in for Wednesday.

All that excitement, all that build up and then you're in.

You inevitably go hard on everything having said you wouldn't.

And the best thing about it all? you're with 100k+ people who are going through the exact same emotions and sensory overload as you are.

:D

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite possibly.  Do you get a nearby hotel on the Tuesday night?  I'd really like to be away from Tuesday to Tuesday, but I have a small child and the 5 days is a bit of a stretch as it is.

Yep. Bristol then an early National Express in. Arrive showered, fresh, etc just as or shortly after gates open and can waltz through the gates before most of the people who've queued overnight. Breaks up the journey, get a proper sleep, and there's a nice relaxed evening out in Bristol into the deal.

Friday is best for me. Wednesday you have the tiredness of travel and getting in and set up, then I always get overexcited and cane it too hard in the evening. Thursday theres some nice bimbling but I'm usually a bit more restrained, which sets me up perfectly for Friday and the first big day full of bands. Plus its dead in the middle so you are on a roll, but not yet near the end!

Friday.

Wednesday is great for many reasons but there's still the stress of getting there, getting in, getting set up, having to talk to people off of eFestivals.
Thursday is better than Wednesday as you wake up on site, what seems at that stage like there is loads on and then....
FRIDAY!
If you're close you'll get the sound checks on the main stages in the morning (the sound of Edge's guitar waking me up in 2011 turned out to be more exciting than most of the actual gig), there suddenly seems to be twice as many people on site, hopefully someone good opening a stage at 11, Hobo in Avalon and away you go! First time there are bands you would happily pay more than a tenner to see, though this doesn't mean they're better than what you've seen before, at least you start to get your money's worth from the ticket.

Saturday and Sunday are only better than Friday if your favourite band is on.

• Upvote 1

it is without a doubt thursday for me ...I have all my energy back after the wed queue / slog tent going up pain .. lots of time spent with friends without anyone having to dash off ... and fairly often I get to meet my brother and various cousins who have made it over the years although this has sometimes been the friday .... my birthday falling on 2 days helps too when it is that weekend in june .. but yep its the thurs for me ... shouldn't everyone be saying the day of the efest meet ? :)

Even though my Glastonbury days are over, I always enjoyed the Wednesday most. This was especially the case when I went to the efests meet ups in my later years attending. You've got your tent pitched, everything that should be in the lock up is in the lock up, you've had time for a few drinks and maybe a couple of pills, and then it's time to talk, at length, to people you just don't know!  lol

Just now, battleborn said:

For any festival with 3 main days, the Friday is always best. You've just about settled into the camping lifestyle - you've done the stock up on essentials, you've had one or two quiet nights to get settled, the place is really getting busy, the bigger bands are playing now and you're running around like a headless chicken trying to catch your favourites and you get to see the first headline/second stage headliner you want to see.

Not at Glastonbury you've not!

Its so fucking clearly wednesday, not even up for discussion. You get in early doors, as soon as the gates open, tent pitched by 10, sitting outside the Cornish Arms, pint in the sunshine, watching every other poor fucker stagger in as you periodically turn to your drinking companions with the refrain 'ooof, wouldnt want to be arriving now. Poor bastards'.

mooch around the site, noting what's changed, which stalls are 10 metres to the left of where they were last time, like the best, most interactive 3d game of 'spot the difference' ever.

and all the time, you're getting updates from your mates, who's in, who's pitched, who's at which services, who's not set off yet.

then, mid afternoon, the gathering begins. Friends you've not seen since the last Glastonbury, people who flown over, people you love, hugs, pints, catching up, laughter, more pints. The feeling that this is where you're meant to be, the feeling that right now, at this moment, there's nowhere else on the entire planet you'd rather be, giddy with excitement and anticipation.

you can stick you fucking Sunday up your bollocks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Its so fucking clearly wednesday, not even up for discussion. You get in early doors, as soon as the gates open, tent pitched by 10, sitting outside the Cornish Arms, pint in the sunshine, watching every other poor fucker stagger in as you periodically turn to your drinking companions with the refrain 'ooof, wouldnt want to be arriving now. Poor bastards'.

mooch around the site, noting what's changed, which stalls are 10 metres to the left of where they were last time, like the best, most interactive 3d game of 'spot the difference' ever.

and all the time, you're getting updates from your mates, who's in, who's pitched, who's at which services, who's not set off yet.

then, mid afternoon, the gathering begins. Friends you've not seen since the last Glastonbury, people who flown over, people you love, hugs, pints, catching up, laughter, more pints. The feeling that this is where you're meant to be, the feeling that right now, at this moment, there's nowhere else on the entire planet you'd rather be, giddy with excitement and anticipation.

you can stick you fucking Sunday up your bollocks.

We return the favour when we see you on Sunday. ;)

• Like 1

Wednesday 2016 took all day to get in from Bristol.  Stuck in bus stations, stuck on a bus, stuck in a queue, stuck in the mud.  It was an absolute shit of a day.

Wednesday 2017, stayed a bit closer than Bristol the night before, got to the queue at 7am, in the gates by 7.30, set up camp by 8.30.  I didn't know what to do with myself, quite honestly.  Brilliant day.

Anyway, I voted for Friday.

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

For any festival with 3 main days, the Friday is always best. You've just about settled into the camping lifestyle - you've done the stock up on essentials, you've had one or two quiet nights to get settled, the place is really getting busy, the bigger bands are playing now and you're running around like a headless chicken trying to catch your favourites and you get to see the first headline/second stage headliner you want to see.

I hate to play the "you've never been card" but.......you've never been! ;)

Might be true of many fests, but the feeling on Wed and Thu is something to behold there. I was nearly with @Mardyon Wed; that euphoria when you crack out the first cider and smoke after getting your tent up is out of this world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I hate to play the "you've never been card" but.......you've never been! ;)

Might be true of many fests, but the feeling on Wed and Thu is something to behold there. I was nearly with @Mardyon Wed; that euphoria when you crack out the first cider and smoke after getting your tent up is out of this world.

i agree ... one thing wrong ... first cider is in the queue :)

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

i agree ... one thing wrong ... first cider is in the queue :)

Absolutely in the queue (apart from last year when it was water all the way!); it's the reward of the first one AFTER the tent is up that's magical

No boozing in the queue, that way disaster lies.

Once the tent is up, like the Queen launching a ship, we toast the tent with a shot of Russian vodka, shared with our neighbours

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Once the tent is up, like the Queen launching a ship, we toast the tent with a shot of Russian vodka, shared with our neighbours

The coach is the place for first booze.  And that should be craft beer, obviously.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Learned that lesson the hard way last year. Cracked open a few ciders in the queue. Took us like 4 hours to get in the blistering sun, literally no idea what went on there but other people got in within an hour. Anyway was dying by the time I got in, wish I woulda just smashed the water.

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

You never drink until your tent's up:

I've got mates who are like that sober. That first cider and smoke is traditionally accompanied by watching their buffoonery, cos there's no way they're anywhere near finished by then