battleborn

2019 Possibilities (Non-Headliner)

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

Glasto needs Goat!

they were superb last year at WOMAD.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

they were superb last year at WOMAD.

Saw them along with The Moonlandingz in Brixton. One of my 2017 highlights. Moonlandingz was crazy brilliant and Goat managed to keep the momentum going with a different kind of madness; it was epic.

This is apparently a word.

D469FE23-F865-406B-B4A3-737B9608E8E8.png

Edited by Retro P
Wrong thread, fuck it.
  • Upvote 2

Interpol have announced a new album so I'd expect them to be doing the festivals next summer.

Billy Joel, Legend Slot 2019

1. Miami 2017 (See the Lights Go Down on Broadway)
2. Just the Way You Are
3. My Life
4. She's Always a Woman
5. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
6. New York State of Mind
7. Allentown
8. The Downeaster Alexa
9. The River of Dreams
10. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
11. Piano Man
12. We Didn't Start The Fire
13. Uptown Girl
14. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
15. You May Be Right
16. Only the Good Die Young

Make it happen, ME.

32 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Billy Joel, Legend Slot 2019

1. Miami 2017 (See the Lights Go Down on Broadway)
2. Just the Way You Are
3. My Life
4. She's Always a Woman
5. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
6. New York State of Mind
7. Allentown
8. The Downeaster Alexa
9. The River of Dreams
10. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
11. Piano Man
12. We Didn't Start The Fire
13. Uptown Girl
14. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
15. You May Be Right
16. Only the Good Die Young

Make it happen, ME.

Is he too big for legends? Scarcity of shows and subsequent sizes of venues when he does play make it difficult to gauge his level. 

27 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Is he too big for legends? Scarcity of shows and subsequent sizes of venues when he does play make it difficult to gauge his level. 

No, I don't think so.  In this country, I would say he's much less of a household name than Dolly or Lionel Richie.

And although I've heard of Piano Man, the only songs from that setlist I could hum are Uptown Girl, We Didn't Start The Fire and Just The Way You Are - but the Barry White version of that last songs seems to be played more.

He's big enough - but not too big.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

37 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, I don't think so.  In this country, I would say he's much less of a household name than Dolly or Lionel Richie.

And although I've heard of Piano Man, the only songs from that setlist I could hum are Uptown Girl, We Didn't Start The Fire and Just The Way You Are - but the Barry White version of that last songs seems to be played more.

He's big enough - but not too big.

He’s notoriously a lazy sod isn’t he? Hence why we get one off gigs at Wembley Stadium and LCCC. Whereas Lionel and Dolly regularly do the arena circuit.

I’d take him in a heartbeat - just seems very unlikely he’d do it for the comparative buttons he’d receive for it.

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

He’s notoriously a lazy sod isn’t he? Hence why we get one off gigs at Wembley Stadium and LCCC. Whereas Lionel and Dolly regularly do the arena circuit.

I’d take him in a heartbeat - just seems very unlikely he’d do it for the comparative buttons he’d receive for it.

Best gig someone like that can get though, isn't it? The publicity the last 4 or so acts in that slot have got is mental. Massive boost in sales and would most likely increase his ticket shifting power for gigs in the near future. I really don't see Billy Joel as being above the slot.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Best gig someone like that can get though, isn't it? The publicity the last 4 or so acts in that slot have got is mental. Massive boost in sales and would most likely increase his ticket shifting power for gigs in the near future. I really don't see Billy Joel as being above the slot.

I think Barry Gibb's sales went down.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Barry Gibb's sales went down.

I guess you have to not sound like a dying cat to get those sales in the bag.

43 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

He’s selling out Wembley and Old Trafford no problems without the publicity though, and he doesn’t seem to have any appetite to release new music. You’re probably right about it being his level, just think it’s really unlikely that he needs to do it.

Just looking at his recent tours, he seems to have a residency at Madison Square Garden, played there every month since 2014!!  Dolly and Lionel haven’t got that sort of regular payday to fall back on.

Reckon the draw of the legends slot lost a lot of its momentum with ELO. After Dolly and Lionel it felt like they could have their pick of anyone, now I'm not so sure.

11 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Reckon the draw of the legends slot lost a lot of its momentum with ELO. After Dolly and Lionel it felt like they could have their pick of anyone, now I'm not so sure.

There aren't that many people who are suitable, available and of that size, though, are there? ELO were probably the most popular choice on here that year. And Barry Gibb was also predicted/wished for non-stop on here.

You've got a couple like Diana Ross, Elton John and maybe one or two others who are predicted every year, but unless it fits in with their touring plans then there's nothing they can do, really.

Even though it hasn't been as huge the last two years I think they're still in a position to get acts like Dolly and Lionel for it, and the publicity would be just as big.

Anyway, was Lionel Richie even seen as a big get for that slot at the time? It went down amazingly of course but I don't remember myself or many others being impressed they'd managed to get him to do it or anything. Seems more in line with them booking someone like Rod Stewart/Barry Manilow/Tom Jones than the likes of Dolly Parton and Elton John.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway, was Lionel Richie even seen as a big get for that slot at the time? It went down amazingly of course but I don't remember myself or many others being impressed they'd managed to get him to do it or anything. Seems more in line with them booking someone like Rod Stewart/Barry Manilow/Tom Jones than the likes of Dolly Parton and Elton John.

That's probably a fair statement. I was proper excited because, you know, Lionel, but I don't recall a feeling anywhere in the lead up that Glastonbury had scored a major coup in booking him.  The giveaway was the number of Lionel banners, t-shirts and all that sort of gubbins that was floating around before we'd even got to Sunday. But yeah, more about excitement than "how did they manage that?"

Funny how it all pans out.  I'd have said on paper that both ELO and Bazza were stronger bookings than Lion-o, with latter's clear desire to do it giving off a faint whiff of desperation.  Shows what I know.

Lionel's basically a living meme by this point though, as evidenced by the sheer amount of assorted Lionel clobber, flags, a themed Shangri La micro-venue and one bloke I heard pointing at the men's toilets and yelling 'look, it's Urinal Ritchie!'

Definitely felt like both Dolly and Urinal were in danger of becoming a bigger story than the headliners post-festival.

12 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Lionel's basically a living meme by this point though, as evidenced by the sheer amount of assorted Lionel clobber, flags, a themed Shangri La micro-venue and one bloke I heard pointing at the men's toilets and yelling 'look, it's Urinal Ritchie!'

Definitely felt like both Dolly and Urinal were in danger of becoming a bigger story than the headliners post-festival.

Was Lionel at the urinal? Cos that would have been funny. Not for him like.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Was Lionel at the urinal? Cos that would have been funny. Not for him like.

Sadly he was not.

For what it's worth I agree with @CaledonianGonzo re. Lionel and desperation, but at the end of the day no one turned up to the festival with pre-prepared ELO props. 

The meme-ification of him was underway before he was booked - I guess mostly to do with the Hello video - but I definitely wasn't anticipating him being one of the biggest things that's ever hit the farm.

How you gonna win, when you ain't right within?
How you gonna win, when you got a clay chin?

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

They need to get Aretha on a boat to the farm asap.

She has the songs plus added bonus of possible toilet based gags.