battleborn

2019 Possibilities (Non-Headliner)

12 minutes ago, neil_clarky said:

Beach Boys announced 2 days at the Royal Albert Hall, 24th and 25th June 2019, gives them a good chance for Glastonbury?

Strange that they'd announce Monday & Tuesday dates over a year in advance, unless they had just made a commitment to play somewhere the weekend before...

Not sure where they'd play, Legend Slot seems obvious but doesn't quite sit right for some reason. Maybe just before whoever's on there?

22 minutes ago, neil_clarky said:

Beach Boys announced 2 days at the Royal Albert Hall, 24th and 25th June 2019, gives them a good chance for Glastonbury?

Where's the announcement? Possibly being dense but can't find anything online?

The Wombats, Blossoms, the Magic Gang

Maybe Catfish & the Bottlemen and Royal Blood too...... hoping Catfish release some new stuff next year!!

Edited by EMorgz92

I would like the see Bears Den back, their early Other Stage set a couple of years ago brought me back to life. I'd also love a Hot Chip headline set somewhere on the Saturday night and would also like Frank Turner, Alvvays, Sigrid, Robyn, Lykkie Li, Crystal Fighters and Glass Animals to pop you over the weekend. On what stages these play I would have no idea.

4 minutes ago, jj200 said:

I would to see the 1975 next year.

Probabley stereophonics opening the other stage

stereophonics are a lot bigger than just opening the other stage, maybe main stage at a push i'd say they are higher than that though by a fair way.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Where's the announcement? Possibly being dense but can't find anything online?

I got an email from Eventim regarding a presale:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 13.53.55.png

1 hour ago, gfa said:

stereophonics are a lot bigger than just opening the other stage, maybe main stage at a push i'd say they are higher than that though by a fair way.

Opening Other Stage is bizarrely enough a bigger deal than opening Pyramid. Why this has become a thing, I'm not sure.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Opening Other Stage is bizarrely enough a bigger deal than opening Pyramid. Why this has become a thing, I'm not sure.

Probably not anymore. Didn't Hacienda Classical get a bigger crowd than The Pretenders?

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Probably not anymore. Didn't Hacienda Classical get a bigger crowd than The Pretenders?

I think they did, but there was a lot of emotion around the HC set following the Manchester attack pulling people in that direction I think.  Certainly recall seeing more than a few worker bees through the grit I had in my eye during You Got The Love....

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I think they did, but there was a lot of emotion around the HC set following the Manchester attack pulling people in that direction I think.  Certainly recall seeing more than a few worker bees through the grit I had in my eye during You Got The Love....

Despite that, I think that was hyped up as a bigger deal than Chrissie Hynde and the lads - the Eavises spoke about it in interviews and stuff whereas The Pretenders were quietly slipped in on stage split day. Not even given the mystic aura of a a Special Guests tag that had previously been afforded to The Charlatans. Wouldn't even be surprised if Sunday's stage openers attracted a larger gathering. I can see 'Other Stage opener' being less of a thing going forward.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Despite that, I think that was hyped up as a bigger deal than Chrissie Hynde and the lads - the Eavises spoke about it in interviews and stuff whereas The Pretenders were quietly slipped in on stage split day. Not even given the mystic aura of a a Special Guests tag that had previously been afforded to The Charlatans. Wouldn't even be surprised if Sunday's stage openers attracted a larger gathering. I can see 'Other Stage opener' being less of a thing going forward.

Yeah probably not a bad shout, but he does like the whole ribbon cutting shebang :D

But then the Pyramid opener (from my memory anyway) has generally been something more left field like the Greenwich NHS Choir or somesuch. Maybe just less of special opener vibe to any of them?

2 hours ago, neil_clarky said:

I got an email from Eventim regarding a presale:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 13.53.55.png

So... a week before, not straight after as I first thought. Maybe more likely because they wouldn't do three days on the bounce?

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

So... a week before, not straight after as I first thought. Maybe more likely because they wouldn't do three days on the bounce?

I think that version of the band does multiple days on the bounce quite often, not that I've checked recent tours.  I certainly wouldn't rule them out on that basis.

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Is that the version of the Beach Boys that’s just Mike Love and Bruce Johnstone?

And Jeff Foskett, who whilst he hasn't played on many songs you'd recognise, was the musical director for Brian Wilson's touring band for most of its existence, up until the Beach Boys reunion from a few years back.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And Jeff Foskett, who whilst he hasn't played on many songs you'd recognise, was the musical director for Brian Wilson's touring band for most of its existence, up until the Beach Boys reunion from a few years back.

Not to mention playing with them back in the eighties/nineties before the split.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah probably not a bad shout, but he does like the whole ribbon cutting shebang :D

But then the Pyramid opener (from my memory anyway) has generally been something more left field like the Greenwich NHS Choir or somesuch. Maybe just less of special opener vibe to any of them?

I think they were a Sunday opener, because the last few were Damon Albarn's Syrian pals, a pre-death Bowie ballet piece and Turtle Island. So yeah maybe they'll keep a decent sized Other opener act but also beef up the leftfield choices on the Pyramid.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd rather have Beach Boys orchestra than the bald fraud's gammon Beach Boys.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think they were a Sunday opener, because the last few were Damon Albarn's Syrian pals, a pre-death Bowie ballet piece and Turtle Island. So yeah maybe they'll keep a decent sized Other opener act but also beef up the leftfield choices on the Pyramid.

I'd rather have Beach Boys orchestra than the bald fraud's gammon Beach Boys.

Still worth listening to, although I think Brian's new falsetto vocalist (Al Jardine's son) is better than The Beach Boys'

But at least we don't have to listen to Carl 'voice of an angel' Wilson squawk his way through the song:

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Still worth listening to

They'll be a more noteworthy Acoustic headliner than Hothouse Flowers springing up again. But it's the principle!

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. If anything I'm glad he's dead.

It's like his voice is untouchable.  I waited a respectful 20 years before pointing out that he wasn't actually all that great a singer.