First Timer

Earthwindandfire2205

Morning everyone. It's my first time coming to WOMAD this year, volunteering with FMS.

Whats it like please? Really looking forward to hearing and seeing so many different acts from around the World. West Holts is my favourite stage at Glastonbury.

Thank you.

It's great, if a bit ... erm ... middle-class Islington (tho less that than it used to be).

Lovely site, stages in close-ish proximity, and the most diverse line-up of any festival I've been to in the UK - from Tibetan throat warbling to reggae to rave, with plenty of 'traditional' style world music. If stuff like Tibetan throat warbling isn't your thing then there's more than enough 'western style' music happening that you never have to see it.

Oh, and it has probably one of the best food stall selections you'll find at any fest, plus plenty of decent beer (ales at every bar, more ales at some bars).

On 5/25/2018 at 7:09 AM, eFestivals said:

It's great, if a bit ... erm ... middle-class Islington (tho less that than it used to be).

Yeah, it's more middle-class Brighton now I reckon :)

It's nice though, easy going and relaxed with plenty going on, and never has the overwhelming feel that Glastonbury can sometimes have because of crowds, scale etc

9 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Yeah, it's more middle-class Brighton now I reckon :)

It's nice though, easy going and relaxed with plenty going on, and never has the overwhelming feel that Glastonbury can sometimes have because of crowds, scale etc

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

We will be back for the 2nd time to WOMAD this year having been for the 1st time in 2016.  We have done plenty of festivals before (bothe with and without kids) and we really like WOMAD.  Yes bit middle class like others have said but really like the location- loads of nice flat ground for camping and a decent sized site which allows for a nice wander around without it being the giant that Glastonbury is.

Really good childrens area though now ours are a bit older we will also try and get a bit more music in this year.  It is an amazingly diverse range of music (and I'll admit by lots of artists I am unaware of) so worth going on the WOMAD site and there is a Spotify playlist on there which is well worth a listen- certainly helped me make a shortlist of bands to see.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

First timer too this year. ?

Taking worm 2 who is 12 and her friends and their parents so we can co-parent and share time on/off etc. 

Haven’t heard of many bands, let alone their countries!!!

Got the FOMO app and started to fill it full of things I won’t do. ?

4 hours ago, ian the worm said:

First timer too this year. ?

Taking worm 2 who is 12 and her friends and their parents so we can co-parent and share time on/off etc. 

Haven’t heard of many bands, let alone their countries!!!

Got the FOMO app and started to fill it full of things I won’t do. ?

I have used the playlist on the WOMAD website to have a listen to some of the artists playing to help plan. 

2 minutes ago, dondo said:

I have used the playlist on the WOMAD website to have a listen to some of the artists playing to help plan. 

To be honest I’m the sort of guy that reads the TV guide on Friday night to see what I’ve missed. 

I plan to bimble, follow my nose and ask others where they’re going next. 

I have found that the last tactic works well and saves me the research hassle. 

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

To be honest I’m the sort of guy that reads the TV guide on Friday night to see what I’ve missed. 

I plan to bimble, follow my nose and ask others where they’re going next. 

I have found that the last tactic works well and saves me the research hassle. 

Well WOMAD is good for a bimble and discovering things that way too

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

make sure you see Macka B, he's always great fun. :)

Yes- he is on  my list!

The app is great in conjunction with the playlist as been listening to that and then adding artists I like to my schedule.  I know I won't necessarily see them all and don't want to plan things to the nth degree as well as taking the views of the family on board but its's a good shortlist and hopefully as the kids are a bit older now  they'll fancy listening to a bit more music.

• 3 weeks later...

My top 5:

Camille... Slick performance. Talented. Stood out a mile. 

Dizraeli.... Spot on politics and delivery.

Amadou and Mariam.... Wish I’d taken a Braille sign.

JM and Juanin.... I met a friend there who recommended them and it just grew and grew on me. Like a Chillian Val Doonican.

Kermesz... the Belgium heavy brass band that were great fun. 

Layout was was a doddle, food great, so much I didn’t see as I didn’t do my research but I did 23 acts, 26 miles walked, Not enough sleep as drove home each night due to bad back issues.  

? 

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

glad you enjoyed it.

the th9ing which stood right out for me this year was the no-litter. WOMAD's always been better than most, but I wish all festivals were spotless like it was this year.

Due to the winds I expect it’s all in Berkshire!  

My mate says he got 4 new broken tents on Sunday morning. 

Had a fantastic time and will be back. Thought the food was excellent and like previously said could not believe how clean everywhere was.

Highlights :-

Leftfield, first time I've seen them live. Ears still hurt now

Macka B, great fun

Mr Jukes, KermesZ à l’Est, Havana meets Kingston.

As I volunteered there on the medical team I thought everyone was so appreciative of us being there. 

2 hours ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

Had a fantastic time and will be back. Thought the food was excellent and like previously said could not believe how clean everywhere was.

Highlights :-

Leftfield, first time I've seen them live. Ears still hurt now

Macka B, great fun

Mr Jukes, KermesZ à l’Est, Havana meets Kingston.

As I volunteered there on the medical team I thought everyone was so appreciative of us being there. 

I was volunteering in the Oxfam shop and had a great time, agree with your comments on cleanliness.

I was really looking forward to Mr Jukes but somehow it just didn't work for me, I think I was too aware that I was going to have to leave early to start my shift. However highlights were:

My Baby, K.O.G and the Zongo Brigade, MarthaGunn, Bollywood Brass Band and Kermesz À l’Est 

I'll definitely be back.

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

How much at WOMAD do you have to pay extra for and how much is included for free? (Workshops, etc)

I'm pretty sure all of the workshops are free, and it's just the spa and pampering stuff that's pay-for

(I'm not sure because despite attending womad for nearly 30 years I've never done one. I see a workshop and I walk the other way :D ).

Yes indeed workshops are free- and that includes things for the children too (our 2 did some stuff in the Physics Pavilion which was great).

We did do some steel drum thing in one of the stalls which was free but we did donate to the charity they were linked with.

Obviously fairground rides cost money (though aside from the big wheel I didn't think they were too much of a rip off)

There is also the la de la loos which cost extra too

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...