Solstice Sunrise

jmarmer

yeah, thinking about it. With no glasto this year it's a less-hassle opportunity.

I've been plenty of times before (including back in the day), but not for around 10 years now.

The final decider for me will be the weather. I'm not too bothered about standing in the rain to not see a sunrise.

• 2 weeks later...

Where going down for the first time this year, any tips appreciated.

Plan on getting to the car park around 9.30-10, try and get an hour or so kip there. Staying just outside Glastonbury thursday/friday, so planning on going the Tor amd maybe even the farm if the sites open

On 5/24/2018 at 9:59 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I hadn't even considered this. Now I will. I'll add it to my 'Possibilities' list. 

Thanks for the nod.:)

Its a nod from me aswell. Could well be changing my plans now and heading down to the farm! 

for information, when we ran round the farm tonight there was cow fencing being put up in places (end of muddy lane / Williams Green) but no sign of any black and white beasties. Might be an idea to check the web cam to see where they may be next week.  Could get a bit beefy in places.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:02 PM, phillyfaddle said:

What a great idea! Unfortunately, I'll be elsewhere as the solstice coincides with World Yoga Day. Om ?

I thought world yoga day was 1st July? 

Maybe there is more than one! 

Edited by gmb1992

Made it up there for about half four and had the place all to myself, and enjoyed a amazing sunrise. A really bizarre experience, but absolutely wonderful. A couple of people showed up just before sunrise and were busy taking pictures for a bit before leaving again, they must have got some fantastic shots. I've never seen a clear sunrise from there before but this morning was perfect, to see the alignment working exactly as intended is a real thrill and bathes the whole circle in the most beautiful light. It's amazing what you see when you just sit for a bit and be still, there were pheasants, rabbits, buzzards, all sorts of song birds making a racket, even a pair of fox cubs on the track in Dragon Field taking in the early sun.

I don't really visit that part of the site out of season but can really recommend it, it's incredibly beautiful and you just don't appreciate how much wildlife there is living there and how many spectacular trees there are. Seeing the fields out of the festival context makes you see the whole thing in a completely different way and I feel adds enormously to my appreciation of what the organisers achieve. Certainly adds weight to the 'love the farm leave no waste' message, if people could see it in all it's natural beauty they would surely be less inclined to view it as a resource to be trashed and more as something to be treasured and protected. I might be wrong tho !

Had a mooch about, Strummerville, Piano Bar, Joes Stone hidden in the trees, said hi to the Dragon, wandered along the railway line, etc. The easiest way into that corner is to park somewhere at the top of Cockmill Lane, wander back down the lane past Pennard Hill Farm and The Kings Hill Collective then just as the lane bends right hop over the verge, follow the track through one field and Dragon Field is on your left. Always the favoured place to get over the old fence (so I'm told).

Will definitely be visiting again before next June.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, jmarmer said:

Made it up there for about half four and had the place all to myself, and enjoyed a amazing sunrise. A really bizarre experience, but absolutely wonderful. A couple of people showed up just before sunrise and were busy taking pictures for a bit before leaving again, they must have got some fantastic shots. I've never seen a clear sunrise from there before but this morning was perfect, to see the alignment working exactly as intended is a real thrill and bathes the whole circle in the most beautiful light. It's amazing what you see when you just sit for a bit and be still, there were pheasants, rabbits, buzzards, all sorts of song birds making a racket, even a pair of fox cubs on the track in Dragon Field taking in the early sun.

I don't really visit that part of the site out of season but can really recommend it, it's incredibly beautiful and you just don't appreciate how much wildlife there is living there and how many spectacular trees there are. Seeing the fields out of the festival context makes you see the whole thing in a completely different way and I feel adds enormously to my appreciation of what the organisers achieve. Certainly adds weight to the 'love the farm leave no waste' message, if people could see it in all it's natural beauty they would surely be less inclined to view it as a resource to be trashed and more as something to be treasured and protected. I might be wrong tho !

Had a mooch about, Strummerville, Piano Bar, Joes Stone hidden in the trees, said hi to the Dragon, wandered along the railway line, etc. The easiest way into that corner is to park somewhere at the top of Cockmill Lane, wander back down the lane past Pennard Hill Farm and The Kings Hill Collective then just as the lane bends right hop over the verge, follow the track through one field and Dragon Field is on your left. Always the favoured place to get over the old fence (so I'm told).

Will definitely be visiting again before next June.  

Wow, sounds amazing. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 8:45 AM, gmb1992 said:

I thought world yoga day was 1st July? 

Maybe there is more than one! 

Definitely was 21st June 2018 (I'm a BWY yoga teacher in training LOL)....though I see it's also called "International Yoga Day"....maybe there are more than one. All good imho :-)

44 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Definitely was 21st June 2018 (I'm a BWY yoga teacher in training LOL)....though I see it's also called "International Yoga Day"....maybe there are more than one. All good imho :-)

It was 21st June, we just had our celebration on the 1st July :)

26 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yoga question please....i'm an active 55 year old male wanting to start yoga...pretty fit, supple, not overweight...what yoga would suit me?

If you have a studio that does hot yoga near you I can't recommend it enough!

I do hot vinyasa flow (room is 30 degrees), it's more fast paced than other styles of yoga and it makes me feel awesome! 

On 8/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, parsonjack said:

Yoga question please....i'm an active 55 year old male wanting to start yoga...pretty fit, supple, not overweight...what yoga would suit me?

There are lots (!!!) of different types of yoga, so depends really what you want to achieve. For example, @gmb1992 loves a "hot yoga" vinyasa-style class. I know people who love this style of yoga too, but I just can't stand heat, so this style wouldn't suit me at all.

The temptation with yoga, particularly if you have good levels of general fitness, is to force yourself into advanced variations of poses (that old ego again!), when you are yet to achieve good alignment and co-ordination of the breath in the standard postures.

PM me if you like. More than happy to share my experiences of different styles - sivananda, ashtanga, dru, kundalini, iyengar. I'd suggest maybe trying out a few different ones, then progressing with the class and/or teacher you most "gel" with.

PS - I had an amazing 5 hour workshop with a teacher called Catherine Ennis (based in London) recently, where she focussed on the feet (and the position of the heel, toes & ankles in poses). It was jaw-dropping and utterly enlightening. Who knew?!! :-)