Scott Hutchison (Frightened Rabbit)

FloorFiller

still absolutely devastated about this, even though id been rearing the worst for the last few days. I've been lucky enough to see them a few times (including 3 times at Glastonbury) and even though some of his lyrics referenced suicide, i still didn't expect this to happen, im surprised how hard this has hit me, its like losing a good friend. Ive been listening to their stuff all day and probably will for a few days to come

RIP Scott

• Upvote 2

Bottle of wine, a couple of whiskys listening to The Midnight Organ Fight, just hit Floating in the Forth, in pieces!,  do not know if others are just too polite to highlight the track and its lyrics given the circumstances of his demise.

Edited by GMF

2 hours ago, GMF said:

Bottle of wine, a couple of whiskys listening to The Midnight Organ Fight, just hit Floating in the Forth, in pieces!,  do not know if others are just too polite to highlight the track and its lyrics given the circumstances of his demise.

too hard to listen to really

Didn’t know their music, just very sad sad sad; another tortured soul gone way too early. RIP fella.

This band’s lead singer has a documentary coming out later this year talking openly about his addictions, anxiety, depression. Their back catalogue of music reflects the various stages of Justin’s life to date, amazing (but great) that he’s still around. 

And to lighten the mood a little 

Lyrics sum up life really; stay safe pop pickers, look after each other. 

13 hours ago, GMF said:

I listened to the bulk of all of their albums yesterday. There were many many difficult lyrics, but Floating In The Forth was the toughest.

It's been so sad to read the countless messages from fellow FR fans here and on facebook. Makes me realise I was part of a much bigger crowd than I thought, being a huge fan. Such a sad loss.

I've been really upset about this situation the last few days and yesterday cried a lot over someone I've never even spoken to. 

I love Frightened Rabbit, they're one of my favourite ever bands. I first seen them at Glastonbury in 2010 and just stopped to watch them as someone had recommended them to me. They were great and when I got back bought their albums up to that point. The Midnight Organ Fight is a particularly special album but they're all brilliant. 

Scott seemed such a nice person. Tributes and memories posted online since is death show he was special. He was always on form when I seen them live and full of good humour and gratitude. 

I seen him playing only last week with Mastersystem and he was his usual chatty and funny self speaking to people after the show. I wanted to speak to him and to thank him for his music and lyrics, but didn't really know what to say and felt a bit embarrassed so I didn't. He must have heard what I was going to say a thousand times before but I wish I had now. 

My heart hurts for Grant and the rest of FR, his family and friends. I hope they can take some amount of comfort in knowing how much Scott meant to people.   

From The Oil Slick

There is light but there’s a tunnel to crawl through.
There is love but misery loves you.
We’ve still got hope so I think we’ll be fine
In these disastrous times, disastrous times.

I hope Scott's at peace now. 

Edited by General Lee
  • Upvote 3

So went to grab a pearl jam t shirt from wardrobe and pulled out the only frightened rabbit one I have and just put it on thinking to myself hey why the fuck not RIP old son. 

Looked in the mirror and it says DEAD NOW... Well I thought that's fucking appropriate init.. 

• Downvote 2

I hope people don't mind me posting this, but just thought I'd share a personal account of the aftermath of Scott's death.

I have, for the past few years, been suffering from low moods that have amplified over recent months. However, I always sort of kept going, thinking one day this will get better, I will be more fulfilled in life etc. 

Scott's death properly shook me. This was a man who was not only successful in doing what it seemed like he loved for a living, but he was fairly open about his problems as well. I just couldn't get my head around it and realised even if my circumstances in life get better, I might not. 

After a couple of days of feeling on the brink, I went to my GP and have been diagnosed with depression. I'm now on medication and I'm hoping this is properly the start of a recovery.

I hope this is Scott's legacy, above the songs and albums. I hope more people are reaching out for help so we can get a tiny glimmer of light from this tragedy.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 15

8 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

After a couple of days of feeling on the brink, I went to my GP and have been diagnosed with depression. I'm now on medication and I'm hoping this is properly the start of a recovery.

Strong recovery mate.  First step and all that :drinks:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

I hope people don't mind me posting this, but just thought I'd share a personal account of the aftermath of Scott's death.

I have, for the past few years, been suffering from low moods that have amplified over recent months. However, I always sort of kept going, thinking one day this will get better, I will be more fulfilled in life etc. 

Scott's death properly shook me. This was a man who was not only successful in doing what it seemed like he loved for a living, but he was fairly open about his problems as well. I just couldn't get my head around it and realised even if my circumstances in life get better, I might not. 

I hope this is Scott's legacy, above the songs and albums. I hope more people are reaching out for help so we can get a tiny glimmer of light from this tragedy.

That’s a great start and really good to see you’re on the road to recovery. I know it probably took a lot to post that too but if you ever need to talk then myself and I’m sure most other posters on here will be there to help.

I think what you’ve said about Scott’s legacy is a very good point. The number of people, myself included, who have said that they aren’t normally affected by celebrity deaths but have been really gutted about this is incredible. If that encourages people to open up and seek help than that can only help. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

I can only presume that your medication is an anti-depressant. If so, please note that I used to suffer from depression, and had to try a fair number of different types of anti-depressant before I was given one that actually worked for me. In addition, please note that it takes a while for anti-depressants to work, or so I am led to believe. They are not like taking an e where you are off your rocker in next to no time. It may take weeks to work. If the medication that you are on doesn't eventually work, then I would suggest that you go back to your doctor to liaise with him / her about trying another type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Strong recovery mate.  First step and all that :drinks:

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

That’s a great start and really good to see you’re on the road to recovery. I know it probably took a lot to post that too but if you ever need to talk then myself and I’m sure most other posters on here will be there to help.

I think what you’ve said about Scott’s legacy is a very good point. The number of people, myself included, who have said that they aren’t normally affected by celebrity deaths but have been really gutted about this is incredible. If that encourages people to open up and seek help than that can only help. 

Thank you so much for your kind words guys! Really appreciate it, and shows the strength of the community here ?

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can only presume that your medication is an anti-depressant. If so, please note that I used to suffer from depression, and had to try a fair number of different types of anti-depressant before I was given one that actually worked for me. In addition, please note that it takes a while for anti-depressants to work, or so I am led to believe. They are not like taking an e where you are off your rocker in next to no time. It may take weeks to work. If the medication that you are on doesn't eventually work, then I would suggest that you go back to your doctor to liaise with him / her about trying another type.

Cheers for the advice Youghurt, yeah the GP told me it can actually make you feel worse for a few weeks before feeling better so I've got to go weekly for prescriptions for the first couple of weeks just so she can keep an eye on how I'm getting on with the antidepressants. 

16 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

I've got a mate who went through some really hard times last year, so I'm not speaking from first hand experience but it definitely seems like the first step is the hardest and it gets better from there. If you keep up with your GP I'm sure things will improve even if it involves a bit of trial and error in terms of medication. Speaking about it is a huge thing. 

You said in the APE thread you're at LCD next week on yr own? You're welcome to join my lot if you want to mate, but YYYs into LCD is gonna be a sensational night regardless!

21 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

Well done. It must have taken some proper courage to ask for help at the gp, and the same again to post here. Massive respect. I think the truth is depression can affect anyone and it doesn't discriminate against  success, fame or wealth. 

Treatment can take time, keep.going with it and keep going to your gp for help and advice. They may also be able to refer you to some talking therapy - there's often quite a wait for these things so perhaps ask early. Stick with it and well done for taking the first step. 

Big respect to you buddy, the first step is often the hardest. Don't forget you can always call, email or text the Samaritans if you want a non-judgemental, completely confidential chat with someone. All the best for your road to recovery x

On 5/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, Johnkhutch said:

Showing great courage there. All the very best to you mate!

• 1 year later...

For those interested a cover version of The Midnight Organ Fight is being released, planned before Scott’s sad demise to commemorate 10 years since it’s release. Covers by Biffy Clyro, Chvrches and Aaron Dessner of The National amongst others. Should be worth a listen.

9 hours ago, GMF said:

For those interested a cover version of The Midnight Organ Fight is being released, planned before Scott’s sad demise to commemorate 10 years since it’s release. Covers by Biffy Clyro, Chvrches and Aaron Dessner of The National amongst others. Should be worth a listen.

Listened to a few tracks, the Julien Baker cover of The Modern Leper is just beautiful.

Did anyone go to the tribute on the Thursday night?