nine inch nails doing a us tour with physical tickets from box offices only.....opinions?

waterfalls21234

On 5/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Mardy said:

Don’t any of you crave a bit of spontaneity, a bit of excitement, a bit of communal activity?

Danger w*nks.  OK, maybe not the communal part. Agree with you on the lineups, at least certainly wouldn't release anything until the main T-Days and resales had gone,

On 5/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can I have a recent mugshot please for the eFests Wall of Gammon I'm constructing

It's just going to be a video installation of Mardy shaking his fist at young people for 5 days

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the person who's quickest.

Is that really unfair though? First come first served?

And you don't even need to be quick most of the time anyway. If you sit there for 10 minutes when it says tickets not available, there's always people whose purchase doesn't go through so the tickets go back on sale. Tickets will tend to go to the people who try hardest to get them (I've never missed out cos I don't give up at 9:01 if things go badly, like a lot of people do).

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you come on here around noon on T-day, you'll have many suggestions. :P

Yep hahaha. The bottom line is there are a lot more people wanting tickets than there are tickets for Glastonbury. They can put whatever system in place they like and the same amount of people will be on here moaning that it's not fair. It's just people being irrational and bad losers. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be having a moan if I miss out on tickets in October but not about the system. Just for the sake of having a moan haha.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Is that really unfair though? First come first served?

it certainly is for those who might have disabilities. Pleasingly they're pushing hard for changes at the moment so that ticketing systems are less against them.

For everyone else, there's still going to be people who are slower, who'll be at a disadvantage. While I don't know what a perfect system is (unless we force bands to play more shows? :P), it doesn't feel fair that any system should disadvantage some so they've less chance of a ticket.

And you don't even need to be quick most of the time anyway. If you sit there for 10 minutes when it says tickets not available, there's always people whose purchase doesn't go through so the tickets go back on sale. Tickets will tend to go to the people who try hardest to get them (I've never missed out cos I don't give up at 9:01 if things go badly, like a lot of people do).

In the imperfect world we inhabit I'm fairly comfortable with Glasto's system which certainly seems to reward those who try hardest, but which also seems to have a decent amount of luck in the mix too. To me, that mix gets it about right.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

In the imperfect world we inhabit I'm fairly comfortable with Glasto's system which certainly seems to reward those who try hardest, but which also seems to have a decent amount of luck in the mix too. To me, that mix gets it about right.

Yeah I'll go with that.  I think the only thing that I would prefer, and I have no idea how this would work on a technical level (reducing server speed perhaps?) is for the sellout to take longer so that it rewards those who want it enough to continually wallop the F5 button for more than 20 minutes!

I remember when Dylan played Earls Court in 1978 we queued at the then Southampton Gaumont overnight for ours, there were venues all over the Country selling them. He was rubbish btw.

Most tickets for big gigs were postal applications back then which was a bit of a lottery but kind of exciting. Used to buy our Glastonbury tickets from Virgin Records in Southampton, never sold out :o

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'd disagree. It only becomes that because of a "I can't be bothered" factor - which isn't part of the ticketing system.

After all ... statistically, the chance of getting a ticket is decided by the number of tickets and the number of people trying to get those tickets.

I wasn't really counting the "can't be bothered" factor for either. Yeah it's more effort but the physical travel makes it harder than doing it online which will generally exclude people. As you mention, online systems can be biased against those with disabilities, but a travel and queue (overnight if necessary) system will impact a hell of a lot more disabled people. Likewise there will be more people that can't get or afford time off work to travel. Online systems give office workers an advantage over others, but a travel system is even tougher - if someone can't get the time off to book online they won't be able to get the day off to travel.

Then the whole distance things compounds this - some of these bits can be overcome if someone lives near enough the venue or be far worse for those who don't.

22 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah it's more effort but the physical travel makes it harder than doing it online which will generally exclude people.

it still only excludes the "can't be bothered" people. The opportunity to go and queue up is the same opportunity for everyone (tho the time & distance travelled to do it is not).

but a travel and queue (overnight if necessary) system will impact a hell of a lot more disabled people.

They have the same ability to be part of the queue as everyone else (apart from the housebound, tho they wouldn't be going to the gig anyway :P). It's the time & travel to get to the 'ticketing system' (queue) that makes it uneven, not the ticketing system itself. 

And while I appreciate that's more difficult for some disabled people, it's still largely around "can I be bothered?", same as above. After all, they'd be happy enough and able to travel for the gig itself.

Likewise there will be more people that can't get or afford time off work to travel.

For most things in life, if you really want it you re-arrange your life so you're able to get it.

And those who do make the effort to re-arrange their life to go join that queue soon enough are guaranteed a ticket. How much do you want that ticket??

At the end of the day, it's one way to weed out the casuals from the hardcore fans - which is something a band might want to do, and if they want to i can't really slag them off for that .

if it bothers you that much, blame the band not the ticketing method.

Online systems give office workers an advantage over others, but a travel system is even tougher - if someone can't get the time off to book online they won't be able to get the day off to travel.

but the hassle is countered by the guarantee of a ticket for those who make the effort to be at the front of the queue.

As opposed to the hit & miss it would be via an online sale (if demand is more than supply).

Then the whole distance things compounds this - some of these bits can be overcome if someone lives near enough the venue or be far worse for those who don't.

Like I say: how much do you want to see the band?

Those who really want to see them will put the effort in. Those who are less keen won't make the sacrifices necessary.

Edited by eFestivals

I think where you see "bothered" I see "can afford". Can people afford to take time off work? Can the less able afford to the care to get them both to the gig and to the ticket sale? 

If you're loaded it's easy, you just pay someone to go buy the ticket for you. Might as well just make the tickets more expensive to start with. If they're too expensive for you you can always rearrange your life so you can afford it.

I dunno, I just like the idea that if you eliminate the touts, the current system is close to outright eliminating the rich person advantage. Though of course even Glasto finds ways around that with resale of VIP passes having no regulation at all...

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think where you see "bothered" I see "can afford". Can people afford to take time off work? Can the less able afford to the care to get them both to the gig and to the ticket sale? 

You get time off for Glastonbury, why not for gigs as well or instead? Everyone choses how they use their spare time, and few people have enough of it for everything they might like to do.

Queuing up was people used to do. No one died, and the keenest people always got their tickets.

It's not perfect, but it's no less perfect than other systems. For the one selling the tickets, they chose what they want to do with the tickets - who they might like to preference - and away they go.

Edited by eFestivals

The level of staggeringly awful takes coming out in this thread is quite impressive. The suggestion that having to physically queue up at a venue is in anyway "fairer" or preferable to an online system is just unfathomably absurd. The suggestion that people deserve to go to a gig more simply because they live near the venue, or can afford to take time of work to queue up... the idea that those people will enjoy the gig more than those whose personal circumstances preclude that... that those who can't do that simply "can't be bothered". It requires such a total disconnect from the realities of how people actually live, such an elitist attitude that I can't believe people are genuinely taking that side.

In summary, come off of it @eFestivals.

4 hours ago, Odessa said:

Who is at an advantage with yr average online sale?

Currently, people who have a job which allows them to be on the Internet at 10am on a friday morning (when most ticket sales happen). I’m always pleased that Glastonbury has its sales on a Sunday which helps more people.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Currently, people who have a job which allows them to be on the Internet at 10am on a friday morning (when most ticket sales happen). I’m always pleased that Glastonbury has its sales on a Sunday which helps more people.

And your solution is for them to have to travel to the venue for 10am on a Friday morning, rather than find a way to access the internet for 10am on a Friday morning? Lol.

Nobody has to buy tickets themselves anyway. Most people must have friends or family that can help them out, I've been in work when stuff's gone on sale before and just asked a mate to sort it for me. 

This is a tremendous thread, reasoned arguments on both sides. What's gone wrong with this forum? 

Anyways, Mardy is making some sense here. The current system for most gigs favours people who can access See Tickets etc. from their desk while people with proper jobs can't. 

This favours me so I love it. But I also miss the days of queuing up outside a venue to get the best seats for a gig. Lining up outside the Liverpool Empire from 6am, eyeing up the guy in the shell suit suspiciously. 

The best suggestion has been a combination of both. Half on line, half physical. Though I suggest many queuing up would be buying on line at the same time to hedge their bets. Probably selling one set or the other at a profit. c**ts.

Yeah, that’s it, i reckon. Half online, half on site, everyone needs to show id to get in. Like all these issues, the problems could be solved if there was any will to do it, but everybody is ready to just accept the status quo.

the other idea is you have a network of authorised sellers (local record shops?) selling them around the country. They are networked and you control distribution digitally. You physically queue, but at a location near(ish) to you. 

Why are we even discussing this on the internet when we could all just meet up and have a chat in person? 

Literally don't know what you'd use the internet for if selling tickets is not one of those things. It's just easier in every single way. 

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The current system for most gigs favours people who can access See Tickets etc. from their desk while people with proper jobs can't. This favours me so I love it.

What if your mate who is busy when a gig goes on sale asks you to help him out? You'd do it right? The vast, vast majority of people have a fair shot at tickets with the current system imo.

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hooray for see tickets, ticketmaster and all those other fine upstanding institutions.

The fees charged by those websites is another conversation entirely.

Genuine question, how do you feel about football clubs selling tickets based on membership, loyalty points etc etc.

the other thing that i keep thinking about is that first stone roses comeback gig where you had to turn up with a piece of memorabilia to gain entrance.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Mardy queuing up outside Basingstoke Empire for Vaccines tickets...

1.-Beatles-fans-outside-Prince-of-Wales-

Is that bloke fourth from the left a time traveller talking on a mobile phone?

• Upvote 1

Literally don't know what you'd use the internet for if selling tickets is not one of those things. It's just easier in every single way. 

It's also made life easier for touts, many of whom no longer even need to leave home. Sitting in their grundies, snapping up Taylor Swift tickets and whacking them on Viagogo 10 minutes later for 3 times the price. Something's got to be done and while not perfect, at least NiN are trying something.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Genuine question, how do you feel about football clubs selling tickets based on membership, loyalty points etc etc.

I don't like loyalty points at all. It favours people who are older so have been going longer by default, and also those who have more money. Once you're behind you're never catching up. I say this as someone who's had a season ticket at City since I was old enough to get a job. I don't even know how many loyalty points I have cos it's so irrelevant I might as well have zero. Sorry, what's the relevance of this? (I don't mean to sound arsey here haha)

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

It's also made life easier for touts, many of whom no longer even need to leave home. Sitting in their grundies, snapping up Taylor Swift tickets and whacking them on Viagogo 10 minutes later for 3 times the price. Something's got to be done and while not perfect, at least NiN are trying something.

Again, I think that's a different conversation. You can put in anti-touting measures online just as well as you can in a box office.