nine inch nails doing a us tour with physical tickets from box offices only.....opinions?

waterfalls21234

The government could stop touting tomorrow if they had the inclination, a simple piece of legislation preventing tickets being sold on for more than 10% FV would remove any financial incentive for resale sites without penalising people who genuinely have to sell tickets.

I also don’t see the issue with the NIN thing, they clearly say “trying something different” not “every ticket for every gig ever will be sold this way”.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I also don’t see the issue with the NIN thing, they clearly say “trying something different” not “every ticket for every gig ever will be sold this way”.

Just an annoyance that on this particular tour (and one with The Jesus and Mary Chain, no doubt) is immediately a no-go for many fans due to this new experiment of theirs. A novel idea, but one that's causing more grief than good for their fans.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Just an annoyance that on this particular tour (and one with The Jesus and Mary Chain, no doubt) is immediately a no-go for many fans due to this new experiment of theirs. A novel idea, but one that's causing more grief than good for their fans.

I think it's only for the presale though. With the distance that fans have to travel and the declining audience numbers in the States it would be a pretty epic blunder to do the whole tour like this.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

same as ever with these things - people favour the system that works best for them.

Not really. The best system is the one that gives everyone an equal chance. (Well, everyone who's willing to sit there pressing refresh until it's sold out, I'm not in favour of ballot systems at all.)

As a student in Manchester for the past few years, it would have been much easier for me to be free at 9am on a weekday and head to a venue to buy tickets than it would be for the vast majority of people. I'd still much rather do it online. 

It's cool they are trying something new and I guess once it actually happens we'll see how successful it was. As others have said, this will defo not suit the majority, but the current set up isn't working. 

I live directly across the road from The Hydro in Glasgow but still wouldn't be able to queue up if it was a week day cause I'd have to get to work. 

What about a half and half system? Half of tickets only to be sold at the venue box office and half available online. 

40 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's cool they are trying something new and I guess once it actually happens we'll see how successful it was. As others have said, this will defo not suit the majority, but the current set up isn't working. 

I live directly across the road from The Hydro in Glasgow but still wouldn't be able to queue up if it was a week day cause I'd have to get to work. 

What about a half and half system? Half of tickets only to be sold at the venue box office and half available online. 

That’s a logical, well-balanced and reasonable post. What the hell do you think you’re playing at?

I think this is a great idea and good on them for doing something different.

If it was a normal sale and you’re a die hard NIN fan who sits at their computer at 9am and all the tickets sell out within 5 minutes before you get one, you’re going to be pissed off, moan and say the system is unfair

If you really want to go then his system gives you an almost guaranteed way of getting tickets if you’re prepared to put the effort in.

its better than paying a reseller over the odds because you failed in an internet sale.

Personally when it comes to Glastonbury I’d always welcome a system that requires the most effort, as I’d be happy to do whatever it takes to get a ticket. Anybody can get up at 9am and tap keys on their computer. If it cost me a couple of hundred quid in travel expenses so be it.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you really want to go then his system gives you an almost guaranteed way of getting tickets if you’re prepared to put the effort in.

How unlikely are you to miss out on Nine Inch Nails tickets though? It's hardly a Led Zeppelin reunion. Can't see most people having any bother booking it online.

And it's already been pointed out that "putting the effort in" might be travelling the length of the country. It's just a stupid system in every way.

If it cost me a couple of hundred quid in travel expenses so be it.

So if someone in this scenario really wants to go but can't afford £200 just for the privilege to buy a ticket, they shouldn't be able to go? I struggle to believe you're actually making an argument for that.

Anybody can get up at 9am and tap keys on their computer.

Precisely why it's fair. Only the people who really want to go are gonna sit there pressing refresh for half an hour anyway (this point is in terms of Glasto).

Edited by Odessa

8 minutes ago, Odessa said:

How unlikely are you to miss out on Nine Inch Nails tickets though? It's hardly a Led Zeppelin reunion. Can't see most people having any bother booking it online.

And it's already been pointed out that "putting the effort in" might be travelling the length of the country. It's just a stupid system in every way.

So if someone in this scenario really wants to go but can't afford £200 just for the privilege to buy a ticket, they shouldn't be able to go? I struggle to believe you're actually making an argument for that.

Precisely why it's fair. Only the people who really want to go are gonna sit there pressing refresh for half an hour anyway (this point is in terms of Glasto).

If you come in here post T day, you’ll always see countless posts from people who missed out on tickets saying they’d welcome the chance to queue up in HMV like in the old days to buy a ticket.

As I think Neil stated a few posts back, people will always favour the system that works best for them. Equally when the system doesn’t work for them they’ll favour the alternative. For what it’s worth I have no problem with the way Glastonbury tickets are sold, but when I inevitably fail in the main sale and the resale I’ll be wishing the system worked differently.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you come in here post T day, you’ll always see countless posts from people who missed out on tickets saying they’d welcome the chance to queue up in HMV like in the old days to buy a ticket.

As I think Neil stated a few posts back, people will always favour the system that works best for them. Equally when the system doesn’t work for them they’ll favour the alternative. For what it’s worth I have no problem with the way Glastonbury tickets are sold, but when I inevitably fail in the main sale and the resale I’ll be wishing the system worked differently.

Yeah they're up for going to their nearest HMV. That's not the same as travelling to the venue to get a ticket at all. 

The system as it is couldn't be fairer. It doesn't "work best" for anyone. If people are gonna be bitter cos other people got tickets and they didn't, that's their problem. (Obviously in the case of touts buying tickets you're entitled to be bitter, but this alternative won't stop touts.)

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well that's brill for you mate but for me that's not being able to eat for a month.

Awful post.

Maybe £200 was an exaggeration. Are you saying that if you were offered a guaranteed Glastonbury ticket for next year, but you had to pay travel and accommodation costs to get to the other side of the country from where you live  to get the ticket that you wouldn’t do it then?  

• Downvote 1

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Maybe £200 was an exaggeration. Are you saying that if you were offered a guaranteed Glastonbury ticket for next year, but you had to pay travel and accommodation costs to get to the other side of the country from where you live  to get the ticket that you wouldn’t do it then?  

I'd fuck Glasto off in a heartbeat if they expected me to do that. And it's the best place I've ever been.

Yes probably. I can only just afford to go anyway once you take into account ticket, travel and money I spend when I'm there/on alcohol that I take. If I had to travel from Doncaster (or Southampton where I'm at uni) to Glastonbury and pay for somewhere to stay just for the chance to buy a ticket I couldn't do that, nor would I want to because it's stupid. I doubt any of my friends I go with would do that either.

Not to mention that at 9am on a weekday I will most likely have uni or work that I have to be at.

Edit: I used the word "chance" in there because that's the case with this NIN sale. But even if I was guaranteed a ticket by travelling there, I still wouldn't do it for the same reasons I said above.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

On 5/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Mardy said:

Don’t any of you crave a bit of spontaneity, a bit of excitement, a bit of communal activity? There’s got to be more to going to a big gig than pressing a button on a computer then stcking it in your calendar for 10 months hence.

but you know, i’d not release the names of anyone playimg at Glastonbury till you got through the gates and opened the programme

Not really, there's other ways of getting spontaneity. If you want you can give me your holiday money for next year and I will book you somewhere random and send you the details a week before? 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, Mardy said:

Imagine traveling hours to London and getting the last ticket. How happy would you be? 

I'd be absolutely gutted on behalf of the person behind me, who I would have turn around and look in the eye.  I'd imagine there's a better than evens chance I would offer to sell the tickets on to them right there and then. 

On 5/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, Mardy said:

But anyway, the more i think about this, the more I think there should be some spontaneity and jeopardy in gig going. I tell you this, queue for a ticket on the day, make a real effort and you’d get rid of the idle gig-chatterer for sure. 

I am not sure you would. Sure, if the show sold well and ended up turning people away you would, but for every show like that, you've got shows where people decided not to travel and book non-refundable travel, babysitting and hotels in advance because they might not get in, which undersell and end up selling tickets on the door to locals arriving after the support acts on the last stop of a pub crawl...

(Or just as bad, people that did make plans in advance, didn't get in, are pissed off, and so go to another venue in the city to see a band they're not fussed about because they might aswell now travel etc. are already booked)

On 5/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, Odessa said:

Not really. The best system is the one that gives everyone an equal chance. (Well, everyone who's willing to sit there pressing refresh until it's sold out, I'm not in favour of ballot systems at all.)

I don't think there is any system that gives everyone an equal chance. A ballot comes close but still has issues. It's more about a system that gives the most people an equal chance. It certainly seems like this one gives fewer people such a chance than the usual one.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think there is any system that gives everyone an equal chance. A ballot comes close but still has issues. It's more about a system that gives the most people an equal chance. It certainly seems like this one gives fewer people such a chance than the usual one.

it gives some people more chance and some people less chance - like all of the differing systems do.

Perhaps, because none of them are perfect, things get closest to perfect by having that mix of different systems across the whole music area?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

it gives some people more chance and some people less chance - like all of the differing systems do.

Right, but it's giving a far greater number of people less chance than the number of people it gives more chance.

I get your point about having a variety of systems creating a fairer measure overall, though I have difficulty getting on board with it because not every show is equal... it's not really a great consolation if I can't get Springsteen tickets to say "yeah, but the system for Spice Girls tickets really favours you".

Just now, DeanoL said:

Right, but it's giving a far greater number of people less chance than the number of people it gives more chance.

I'd disagree. It only becomes that because of a "I can't be bothered" factor - which isn't part of the ticketing system.

After all ... statistically, the chance of getting a ticket is decided by the number of tickets and the number of people trying to get those tickets.

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Who is at an advantage with yr average online sale?

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I get your point about having a variety of systems creating a fairer measure overall, though I have difficulty getting on board with it because not every show is equal... it's not really a great consolation if I can't get Springsteen tickets to say "yeah, but the system for Spice Girls tickets really favours you".

Not every show is equal because people's tastes aren't. 

And ultimately 'tastes' is where the problem lies (at the punter's end of things, anyway) for all instances where the demand is greater than the supply.

If you want a truly average system, it can only exist if everyone has truly average tastes, spread across all bands to create equal demand for all shows. :P

Edited by eFestivals