nine inch nails doing a us tour with physical tickets from box offices only.....opinions?

waterfalls21234

http://www.nin.com/tickets2018/

`

WHAT?  WHY?  PHYSICAL WORLD PRESALE?
THE PROMISE OF A WORLD MADE BETTER BY COMPUTERS AND ONLINE CONNECTIVITY HAS FAILED US IN MANY WAYS, PARTICULARLY WHEN IT COMES TO TICKETING.  EVERYTHING ABOUT THE PROCESS SUCKS AND EVERYONE LOSES EXCEPT THE RESELLER. WE’VE DECIDED TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAT WILL ALSO LIKELY SUCK, BUT IN A DIFFERENT WAY.  WE’RE HOPING MANY OF YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS, WHILE SOME MAY DO WHAT THEY ALWAYS DO AND BITCH ABOUT IT.

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
YOU (AN ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) SHOW UP AT THE BOX OFFICE, INTERACT WITH THE TICKET SELLER (ANOTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) AND PURCHASE UP TO FOUR TICKETS THAT WILL ACTUALLY BE HANDED TO YOU ON THE SPOT.  THE TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ONLINE OR ANYWHERE ELSE BEFORE OR DURING THAT DAY.  ALL SEATS (INCLUDING THE BEST SEATS) WILL BE AVAILABLE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  YOU MAY ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER OTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS LIKELY WEARING BLACK CLOTHING DURING THE PROCESS AND POTENTIALLY INTERACT WITH THEM.  THE EXPERIENCE HAS THE POTENTIAL* TO BE ENJOYABLE.  NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.**`

I get the concept but in reality I think its a stupid idea, all they are going to do is penalise people who dont live near the venues and travel to gigs, making them `locals only` as it were.

I travel to places all over the uk for gigs (as we dont get to many down in cornwall) can you imagine if I was seeing a band at the o2 in london but I needed to travel to london beforehand just to buy the ticket? crazy! Just not practical!

Not practical but not a bad thing. The current system ain’t working in many ways. And you know, if you don’t live near the venue, so be it. Part and parcel of having unique experiences. Sometimes it ain’t fair. But only if it doesn’t work out in your favour. Same as secret gigs etc. 

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Not practical but not a bad thing. The current system ain’t working in many ways. And you know, if you don’t live near the venue, so be it. Part and parcel of having unique experiences. Sometimes it ain’t fair. But only if it doesn’t work out in your favour. Same as secret gigs etc. 

so be it? so you punish your fans who dont live in or near a big city? imagine if every band did that, youd be basically ruled out of ever attending a gig again if you lived in a rural area.

Seems a dumb idea. People from major cities (in the UK at least) already get the benefit of not having to travel far/pay for a hotel when gigs inevitably come to them, but now they'd also have greater access to the tickets in the first place? I know the frustration of having to fork out if I want to go to a London show but christ I'd be pissed if I wasn't even given that option.

I think the best way to combat touting is the Glastonbury system and systems requiring id to match the name on the ticket used by bands like iron maiden etc on recent tours......doesnt punish anyone it shouldnt and ensures touting cant happen, I dont get why all venues dont do that already.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Seems a dumb idea. People from major cities (in the UK at least) already get the benefit of not having to travel far/pay for a hotel when gigs inevitably come to them, but now they'd also have greater access to the tickets in the first place? I know the frustration of having to fork out if I want to go to a London show but christ I'd be pissed if I wasn't even given that option.

it costs me at the very very least £100 to get to london for a gig when you factor in travel, a place to stay, food and drink and local travel while up there etc....imagine having to pay out to get to london just to buy a ticket in the first place also? itd basically rule many people out of being able to afford to go to any gigs not local.

Here’s what i’d do. No advance sales, all sales in person on the day of the gig. Queue in the morning, first come first served. Put a bit of spontaneity and excitement back into gig-going. I fucking hate the current system where you have to buy a ticket 9 months in advance of the gig, 5 minutes after the ticket goes on sale. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

So you have to take a day's holiday every time you want to go to a gig?

Yep. If its a big popular show. Why not? The current ‘goes on sale at 10am on a Friday’ favours office workers. No system is fair, why not reward a bit of commitment?

Don’t any of you crave a bit of spontaneity, a bit of excitement, a bit of communal activity? There’s got to be more to going to a big gig than pressing a button on a computer then stcking it in your calendar for 10 months hence.

but you know, i’d not release the names of anyone playimg at Glastonbury till you got through the gates and opened the programme

Lool imagine travelling hours to London, getting in a queue for a few hours, then the bloke in front of you buys the last ticket for the show. What a dumb idea.

Edit: What if there's a problem with the system they're using or something and they don't even manage to sell all the tickets before the gig starts? I almost missed the start of Nick Cave the other month because it took me like an hour just to collect my tickets from the box office, and there were plenty of people behind me who'll definitely have missed the start (it was taking them about 10 mins to get through each person for some stupid reason).

Also had a time where I was at a football match wanting to buy tickets from the ticket office before kick off. Computer system went down and loads of us didn't manage to get our tickets and get into the stadium until 10 mins after the match had started. If that was a gig I'd be well mad.

Edited by Gucci Piggy
  • Like 1

Excitement! Risk! The sweet taste of victory! The joy of spontaneity! Better to die on your feet than live on your knees! The smell of napalm in the morning! Ein volk! Ein Reich! Ein Fuhr..Oh hold on, i might have got a bit carried away, but the point still stands.

Wall of Gammon is the new interactive installation in that big field above the Park for next year’s Glastonbury. It slowly turns more and more puce every time a grime act appears on one of the main stages.

But anyway, the more i think about this, the more I think there should be some spontaneity and jeopardy in gig going. I tell you this, queue for a ticket on the day, make a real effort and you’d get rid of the idle gig-chatterer for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

What's to stop touts getting there early and buying four and selling them for extortionate prices?

I'm assuming something like this would have to be two, or even one per customer, although if two that's still one ticket somebody could sell for stupid money.