lets talk about .... tents baby lets talk about you and me

Crazyfool01

After spotting a tent discussion in another thread I thought I would start a tent thread due to my quiet bank holiday weekend ..... so what tent has been your favourite over the years ?  does a particular tent bring back good memories ? or bad ? mine is the one posted as it was a paint your own .. but it only lasted a few years ... and Ive now a bigger one as ive a dodgy back .. website doesn't exist now by the way :).

CIMG0271 2.jpg

I had a Gelert Tornado 3 from 2011 to 2016. Still going strong, my son now uses it:

Gelert_tornado3_red.jpg

I've now moved on to a Hi Gear Aura Elite 3. Being able to stand up is a game changer. The only problem being the weight which is a bit of a bugger if you're on a coach and don't have a trolley handy. If that is the case, employing Sherpa @Tittersis the way forward.

52924-1110161134501356514470.jpg

10 minutes ago, Fishman said:

That pitching location looks scarily close to a main drag for me.

Cracking spot that. I've camped by the tree the other side of the path three times, not done for the last few years though. Do you still camp there @crazyfool1? Has it changed much since John Peel moved and the Wood opened up? The Beat Hotel has moved down a bit so I presume it's a little quieter? 

58 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Cracking spot that. I've camped by the tree the other side of the path three times, not done for the last few years though. Do you still camp there @crazyfool1? Has it changed much since John Peel moved and the Wood opened up? The Beat Hotel has moved down a bit so I presume it's a little quieter? 

we moved  slightly nearer to gate A a few years back as we dont have a crew that get there so early anymore ... by the time we get in at 10.30 - 11.30  im not sure that space will still exist there as its a fairly narrow strip  ... we found that a lot of people from the beat hotel were using the fence by the wildlife reserve to relieve themselves so we moved and then the beat hotel moved ... we probably did 5 or 6 festivals there and location was good ... didn't get to floody unlike the other side where the jp used to be . in the old days there was a cocktails and dreams tent which was quiet and the guardian lounge too before that ... think the beat hotel resulted in us moving ,,, but would go back if we had an advance party 

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

That pitching location looks scarily close to a main drag for me.

Its about 20 -30 m from the main drag ... try to get a balance between tripping over guy ropes inebriated and not being too close and tent getting covered in shit as people walk past .. but its quite a wide path so not too bad there anyway 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I had a Gelert Tornado 3 from 2011 to 2016. Still going strong, my son now uses it:

Gelert_tornado3_red.jpg

I've now moved on to a Hi Gear Aura Elite 3. Being able to stand up is a game changer. The only problem being the weight which is a bit of a bugger if you're on a coach and don't have a trolley handy. If that is the case, employing Sherpa @Tittersis the way forward.

52924-1110161134501356514470.jpg

I know that tent well ... we set it up for a friend a few years back ... quite heavy big poles is I remember rightly ?! but inside lovely and roomy ..

I am still in mourning over the demise of my first Glastonbury tent. It was one of the old type tents, which were triangular tube shaped jobbies, with not even a nod in the direction of aerodynamics! It was my first ever tent though, and lasted me a long time. They say that you always remember your first, and now I know that they were talking about tents all the time, and not what I was originally thinking - the first time, of which, I really cannot remember! Shameful really. 

I now have a campervan for all other festivals, but have never been to Glastonbury in it. It's highly likely that I never will either, as I don't think I'll be going again. I also have a 4 man pop up tent, and a two man pop up tent. I leave these in the back of the campervan, so should I hear of anybody needing a tent at a festival, I've got one that they can use.

45 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I know that tent well ... we set it up for a friend a few years back ... quite heavy big poles is I remember rightly ?! but inside lovely and roomy ..

Yeah, pretty heavy. 11.7kg according to the website. Cost me £20 to post to my lacky last year.

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I also have a 4 man pop up tent, and a two man pop up tent. I leave these in the back of the campervan, so should I hear of anybody needing a tent at a festival, I've got one that they can use.

You're a saint amongst men, Yog. A saint amongst men!

• Upvote 1

The best tent we had was an old 1960s style canvas style one that we got at a car boot sale but it had no poles so we got a job lot of poles and basically made a frame. Then as it was obviously not waterproof we got some canvas and painted a huge George cross on it....... It was the year of the world cup........... 

We camped on the front strip as usual and it was really funny and a good year cos we had the kids with us.. 

1 hour ago, Curlygirl said:

That’s cos he tells the funniest stories. Love ya @Yoghurt on a Stick  

Hello curlygirl,

It's nice to know that the stories provide amusement.  I may have some gems after this coming weekend. I am going to see an ABBA tribute band with some of my mates from Birmingham. The thing is, they are very hard hitters on the drink front. That it's going to get messy, there is no doubt. If I remember any of it myself, I will report back. 

By the way - I've been to Bestival a number of times and it was always a belting experience every time. Right up there with the best of them. However, that was when it was on the Isle of Wight though, so don't know what it's like on the mainland.

On one of the trips to Bestival we had to hook up with an Aussie bloke who was a cousin of a friend of a friend. He was visiting the UK on his own, and had bought a Bestival ticket. Christ almighty, but it was difficult dealing with him. At one point he, rather exceptionally drunk, rang home to Australia to let his folks know how he was getting on. He obviously hadn't actually got a clue where he was on the planet, as he came out with ' Yeah, I'm on the Isle of Man, somewhere off the coast of London'. This was then followed by someone somewhere behind some tents (and not with our group) saying ' No your not mate'. It looses a lot in translation, but we all found it funny at the time. 

Anyway, I suspect that Bestival will be ace, and a very enjoyable experience for you. Definitely one to go to at least once.

51XrrB22IIL._SX355_.jpg

I used the tent above (not the exact one) last year, but we killed one of the inner bedrooms. 

I used to have a brilliant Vango tent that saw me through 7 years of various festivals but it was killed by some rogue tomato sauce and a forgetful mind. 

I've got a big family tent in the loft, fully kitted out (carpet - the works) but I won't use that for festivals. 

I'm going to buy a Quecha pop up for a few minor camping trips this summer and then invest in a new 'beast' ahead of Boomtown and (hopefully) Glastonbury next year. 

I don’t recall the name of my tent apart from knowing it’s a Vango. Don’t have a picture of the outside but this is inside just after putting it up last year. 

Thankfully we were placed next to a big hedge / tree row in the East camper fields so I squeezed my tent right behind it which meant I was sheltered from the blistering early morning sun (it’s not in view from that pic)

Final photo of the view from our little site. 

95952173-B584-4F03-9142-34FA69318CF2.jpeg

56AD602B-090C-47BA-9940-87B5EEB5CED6.jpeg

E9977794-7375-4467-8B7C-66B98365EA11.jpeg

Edited by JoeyT

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello curlygirl,

It's nice to know that the stories provide amusement.  I may have some gems after this coming weekend. I am going to see an ABBA tribute band with some of my mates from Birmingham. The thing is, they are very hard hitters on the drink front. That it's going to get messy, there is no doubt. If I remember any of it myself, I will report back. 

By the way - I've been to Bestival a number of times and it was always a belting experience every time. Right up there with the best of them. However, that was when it was on the Isle of Wight though, so don't know what it's like on the mainland.

On one of the trips to Bestival we had to hook up with an Aussie bloke who was a cousin of a friend of a friend. He was visiting the UK on his own, and had bought a Bestival ticket. Christ almighty, but it was difficult dealing with him. At one point he, rather exceptionally drunk, rang home to Australia to let his folks know how he was getting on. He obviously hadn't actually got a clue where he was on the planet, as he came out with ' Yeah, I'm on the Isle of Man, somewhere off the coast of London'. This was then followed by someone somewhere behind some tents (and not with our group) saying ' No your not mate'. It looses a lot in translation, but we all found it funny at the time. 

Anyway, I suspect that Bestival will be ace, and a very enjoyable experience for you. Definitely one to go to at least once.

Thanx for the reassurance Yog. I’m hoping to find some loners to camp with and hopefully hang around with a bit, I’m a little bit apprehensive about going to Bestival on my own. 

Are you seeing Björn again with your mates? They’re playing at Splendour and I’m very much looking forward to it!! I’m taking my mum to that one! It’s only a one day event but has a good line up and I don’t think she would handle camping! 

19 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Thanx for the reassurance Yog. I’m hoping to find some loners to camp with and hopefully hang around with a bit, I’m a little bit apprehensive about going to Bestival on my own. 

Are you seeing Björn again with your mates? They’re playing at Splendour and I’m very much looking forward to it!! I’m taking my mum to that one! It’s only a one day event but has a good line up and I don’t think she would handle camping! 

Hello Curlygirl,

I am hoping to see Bjorn Again, but that will be in Birmingham in December. The band I'm going to see on Friday are one of the lesser type ABBA tribute bands than Bjorn Again. However, I've seen them before and I like them. Anything for a bit of ABBA really.