Shine On Birmingham

luckysalt

Got announced today. 

DcBO_LwX4AEjyfC.jpg

Looks like its the Indie version of Slam Dunk except not as strong in depth and more expensive... 

Its a right mish mash of acts here, looks like they just threw anything together. 

Still Orbital inside an arena interests me I havent seen them for a few years and im a massive fan, couldn't make the outdoor gig they did in Birmingham last year, but IMO generally dance acts dont translate very well outdoors at festivals. I imagine this will be the biggest indoor Orbital gig I'll ever see.

The concept, the fact is close to me and that its a Saturday are all plus points. Shame a lot of the acts are playing Victorious im going to 2 weeks before. I wish Bloc Party had been booked as sub to Orbital, that would have worked well, especially as part of the Silent Alarm dates, ah well.

14 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Got announced today. 

DcBO_LwX4AEjyfC.jpg

Looks like its the Indie version of Slam Dunk except not as strong in depth and more expensive... 

Its a right mish mash of acts here, looks like they just threw anything together. 

Still Orbital inside an arena interests me I havent seen them for a few years and im a massive fan, couldn't make the outdoor gig they did in Birmingham last year, but IMO generally dance acts dont translate very well outdoors at festivals. I imagine this will be the biggest indoor Orbital gig I'll ever see.

The concept, the fact is close to me and that its a Saturday are all plus points. Shame a lot of the acts are playing Victorious im going to 2 weeks before. I wish Bloc Party had been booked as sub to Orbital, that would have worked well, especially as part of the Silent Alarm dates, ah well.

The Birmingham Genting Arena? I am a proud Brummie, but would rather get decapitated than ever go to that place again. Obviously that's not quite true / accurate, but I think you get the picture. It's not so much the venue, it's that it's so far from the city centre that it's actually in Wales.

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The Birmingham Genting Arena? I am a proud Brummie, but would rather get decapitated than ever go to that place again. Obviously that's not quite true / accurate, but I think you get the picture. It's not so much the venue, it's that it's so far from the city centre that it's actually in Wales.

I don't mind the old NEC, had some great times - saw Bowie there for example and Blur's Singles tour on the night of my 18th birthday. Haven't been for years but I assume the exhibition centre style set up will be good for different rooms acting as different venues.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't mind the old NEC, had some great times - saw Bowie there for example and Blur's Singles tour on the night of my 18th birthday. Haven't been for years but I assume the exhibition centre style set up will be good for different rooms acting as different venues.

I saw Bowie at the NEC too. Well, I say I saw him. What I actually saw was a very little biddy man singing on stage way off in the distance. Or at least, that's my recollection of the concert. Well, that and the fact that there was a very annoying drama Queen in the seat in front of me.

Hadn't been to the NEC for YEARS until I got dragged along to see the Stereophonics a few months back...I'd forgot what a soulless cavern it is. That said, think this should be a right crack so already talked a few mates into it.

Can only begin to imagine how horrendous the queues to buy p*ss weak lager for £6 a pop will be.  

Quality line up for me.

orbital, shed seven, embrace and Cast. With the added big bonus of Jim bob playing carter songs this is unmissable for moi.

I wouldnt say 70 quid is over expensive for what’s there, especially as it’s local. I will be certainly spending more for shed seven at castlefield with ticket, hotel and travel.  

Although I agree about the arena, it’s not very good. Would of preferred them to make it out doors or the NIA as that is easier to get home. 

Edited by thetime

Booked. Nice little end to the festival season! Venue aside should be a good day. Probably give Orbital a swerve as saw them at Bluedot last year and catch either Rev & Makers or Julian Cope...probably the latter as catching Rev at Bearded Theory and Julian Cope is always entertaining

Only problem is clashes with 'OnBlackheath' so hopefully the line-up for that will be pony.

Didn't know about the app to order your beer...wonder if they'll deliver to you in the crowd 'I'm the middle aged bloke wearing a Stone Roses t-shirt and with crap hair'. Be like playing 'Guess Who' where absolutely everybody looks bleedin' identical.  

10 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Booked. Nice little end to the festival season! Venue aside should be a good day. Probably give Orbital a swerve as saw them at Bluedot last year and catch either Rev & Makers or Julian Cope...probably the latter as catching Rev at Bearded Theory and Julian Cope is always entertaining

Only problem is clashes with 'OnBlackheath' so hopefully the line-up for that will be pony.

Didn't know about the app to order your beer...wonder if they'll deliver to you in the crowd 'I'm the middle aged bloke wearing a Stone Roses t-shirt and with crap hair'. Be like playing 'Guess Who' where absolutely everybody looks bleedin' identical.  

Did you receive a code? not got mine yet. 

Edited by thetime

15 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Sadly it's not that efficient.It just means you get to collect from another counter and bypass the queue. 

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

Did you receive a code? not got mine yet. 

Yeah, came through about 9.30am. Seemed a bit hit and miss. Originally my other half was trying to book but her link didn't work and just said 'On sale Friday' so I used mine and it went straight through.

Daft question but not in your spam folder is it?

7 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah, came through about 9.30am. Seemed a bit hit and miss. Originally my other half was trying to book but her link didn't work and just said 'On sale Friday' so I used mine and it went straight through.

Daft question but not in your spam folder is it?

No checked spam. 

No biggy though, can’t see it selling out quickly.

• 1 month later...