On Blackheath

adamski

6 hours ago, Damsonz said:

What's it like getting away from there on the Sunday? 

I really want to see Grace Jones, but would need to get back to Paddington by 2330 thanks to the sorry lack of late trains at weekends.

You should be fine (and Grace Jones will be good).

It has finished at 10:00 on the Sunday the last few times and then it's only around a 10 minute dash down the hill to Lewisham station. You can get to Paddington in under 45 minutes from there (really!), with trains every 10 minutes to London Bridge (it's Lewisham - Lon. Bridge - Baker St - Paddington.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishman said:

It has finished at 10:00 on the Sunday the last few times and then it's only around a 10 minute dash down the hill to Lewisham station. You can get to Paddington in under 45 minutes from there (really!), with trains every 10 minutes to London Bridge (it's Lewisham - Lon. Bridge - Baker St - Paddington.)

Brilliant, thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, Fishman said:

I was just checking train times and ....

"Travelling to the ONBlackheath festival? Lewisham & Blackheath stations are closed on Sun 14 July,  so please use Maze Hill station instead to reach the festival."

You couldn't make it up.  What a way to treat people.  ?

9 hours ago, Damsonz said:

"Travelling to the ONBlackheath festival? Lewisham & Blackheath stations are closed on Sun 14 July,  so please use Maze Hill station instead to reach the festival."

Maze Hill is fine, it’s only a short walk to the common.

9 hours ago, Damsonz said:

Yeah - that's shite, but you'll still be fine. 

As HJ said, It's not much further to Maze Hill (it'll take about 20 minutes and it's downhill to the station) and they seem to have plenty of trains on. Also, Grace is scheduled to finish at 9:45, so you won't need to miss the end. Hope she's still on good form.

• Like 1

Set times:

Saturday

Main Stage

Jamiroquai - 20:45 - 22.15 

The Roots -  18:45

James Morrison - 17:00 

Jacob Collier - 15:15 

SG Lewis - 13:30

Second Stage

Soul II Soul - 19:30

Incognito - 17:30

Swing Out Sister - 15:45

MF Robots - 14:00

The Family Playground

Andy and the Odd Socks - 17:15

Science Museum Greatest Hits Show - 16:25

Bubble Show - 15:40

Comedy Show 4 Kids - 14:30

Pop Bingo - 13:20

Boppin' Bunnies - 12:30

Sunday

Main Stage

Grace Jones - 20:15 - 21:45

Rag N Bone Man - 18:15 

UB40 featuring Ali Campbell & Astro. - 16:30 

Morcheeba - 14:45 

Newton Faulkner - 13:00

Second Stage

Brand New Heavies - 19:00 

ASWAD - 17:15

Laville - 15:30 

Yakul - 13:45 

The Family Playground

Sooty's Bake Off - 17:30

Bubble Show - 16:45

Science Museum Greatest Hits Show - 16:00

Mister Maker - 15:10

Sam Copeland - 14:45

Sooty's Bake Off - 14:05

Jim Smith - 13:10

Boppin' Bunnies - 12:30

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

Yeah - that's shite, but you'll still be fine. 

As HJ said, It's not much further to Maze Hill (it'll take about 20 minutes and it's downhill to the station) and they seem to have plenty of trains on. Also, Grace is scheduled to finish at 9:45, so you won't need to miss the end. Hope she's still on good form.

Grace will start and finish late. And be brilliant.

It's what she does... 

17 hours ago, Damsonz said:

What a fucking ballache - I was thinking of picking up a couple of tickets for Sunday as well. Now it's a fucking nightmare from Denmark Hill, so think I'll skip it. Pity, would have been good to see Grace.

10 minutes ago, John L said:

How can something billing itself as a family festival only allow you to take an A4 sized bag in. That will surely be a disaster at the gates.

Stupid rule. All because they can't be bothered to check people's bags properly in this age of terrorism.

And OnBlackheath have massively screwed up by not advising Southeastern on the dates for this year to stop them from running the engineering work that weekend. 

What a mess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John L said:

How can something billing itself as a family festival only allow you to take an A4 sized bag in. That will surely be a disaster at the gates.

And no re-entry!  All those local people wanting to take their little kids home and come back later. 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, wonker said:

What a fucking ballache - I was thinking of picking up a couple of tickets for Sunday as well. Now it's a fucking nightmare from Denmark Hill, so think I'll skip it. Pity, would have been good to see Grace.

Maze Hill and Greenwich really aren't that far away plus they're both downhill.

Like 10/15 minute walk? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Maze Hill and Greenwich really aren't that far away plus they're both downhill.

Like 10/15 minute walk? 

I've just looked it up and unfortunately it's not on the same line as Denmark Hill and quite a diversion to get there, when one of the big positives was the convenience for getting to the site. Thanks anyway!

On 7/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, xxialac said:

Grace will start and finish late. And be brilliant.

It's what she does... 

That sounds all too likely. 
I don't want to miss any of Grace's set, nor do I want it to be marred by worrying about missing the last train.  So I've decided to play safe and drive to Reading as there are plenty of later trains back to Reading, so we can saunter back to Paddington without any pressure.  It's a PITA, but it's a solution.

I only went to see Grace, she was sensational and I had managed to get to the front so didn't really care about anything else.

Enjoyed Rag'n'Bone Man while waiting for Grace, and UB40 earlier were OK but would rather they'd played more of their early stuff.  Disappointing that Aswad were on in the second stage tent before UB40 had finished, lot of people wanted to see both so that was crap scheduling.

I didn't have a problem with toilets, there were indeed big queues at the loos by the second stage tent but I walked on down past the food stalls and there were loads more loos there and no queues at all.  I wasn't drinking as I had to drive, so not inconvenienced there either.

Thanks @Fishman for the travel advice, spot on and we actually had acres of time, ending up on the last train that would have got us nearer home after all!  But to be on the safe side we travelled from Reading as there are later trains.  Just meant a longer drive home but worth it for peace of mind. 

The whole business of no readmission plus the restrictions on bag size didn't affect us, but must have inconvenienced people with children especially. 

One annoying thing was that some people had brought those inflatable sofa things into the main stage area, and they took up masses of room.  If they're not allowing people to bring chairs in, those things should be banned too.  Send some stewards round with pins on long sticks  ?

• Upvote 1