ABBA

jyoung

I'm off to see an Abba tribute band in a few weeks time, and am really looking forward to it. I've seen them before (several times) and they are fab. Just to add to the mix,  a group of my friends are also travelling here to see them. There will be tears - of joy, and of laughter. Two of them will get so drunk that I suspect that I'll never be able to show my face in this quiet town ever again. Ho hum.

I'll be interested in hearing the two new songs from the real ABBA.  I'd even consider going to see the avatar show, even though I find the concept ludicrous. It would depend on the venue really, as that would dictate the crowd atmosphere.

See the source image

There, I've said it. No going back now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That ABBA are the bee's knees is enshrined in the testament.  The furious gammons and addle-pated boomers who sought to exclude them from the canon are pretty much consigned to history.

Really? I didn't know. I thought that I had to keep it a secret really - especially on a muso forum like this. Oh well. that's good news.It's good news city for me today. I was given two hours to live about 2 months ago. I've just come back from seeing the consultant, and he has said that my kidney function is now tip top. 

I am about to celebrate the fact that its OK to be out and proud of liking ABBA, and that I get to live a little longer. 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Really? I didn't know. I thought that I had to keep it a secret really - especially on a muso forum like this. Oh well. that's good news.It's good news city for me today. I was given two hours to live about 2 months ago. I've just come back from seeing the consultant, and he has said that my kidney function is now tip top. 

I am about to celebrate the fact that its OK to be out and proud of liking ABBA, and that I get to live a little longer. 

Kidney function tip top till get drunk at ABBA tribute!

If as close to I can get to the real ABBA plays at Glastonbury, and I'm not there, which I wont be, it'll fucking wipe me out. I am the man who chose to try to preserve his own sanity by leaving the festival on a Sunday night, just as David Bowie was about to come on. I will never ever forgive my cowardly brain for that one. LSD psychosis smosis, I say. 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In all seriousness, I hope this makes Bjorn Again more likely to come back. Damn good tunes, no matter who plays them.

Hello stuartbert,

I looked it up earlier;

https://www.stereoboard.com/bjorn-again-tickets?msclkid=fcce0bfcb6fe13f862b6511fdb6f6c98&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tickets - GENERAL&utm_term=bjorn %2Bagain&utm_content=Bjorn Again (Dec 2018)

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm off to see an Abba tribute band in a few weeks time, and am really looking forward to it. I've seen them before (several times) and they are fab. Just to add to the mix,  a group of my friends are also travelling here to see them. There will be tears - of joy, and of laughter. Two of them will get so drunk that I suspect that I'll never be able to show my face in this quiet town ever again. Ho hum.

I'll be interested in hearing the two new songs from the real ABBA.  I'd even consider going to see the avatar show, even though I find the concept ludicrous. It would depend on the venue really, as that would dictate the crowd atmosphere.

See the source image

There, I've said it. No going back now.

My view on tribute bands has shifted considerably over the years. At their worst they're the live equivalent of those old TOTP records that were shit cover versions of current hit singles. However at their best they're essentially no different from the Berlin Philharmonic playing Beethoven. 

When I saw Brian Wilson in 2004, it was basically a Beach Boys tribute act. Wilson was there, but he wasn't a big part of the live act, and he wasn't the musical director. On a purely musical basis, if he dropped out of the tour, the experience would have improved. I've seen videos of The Beach Boys back in the 60s and 70s, and Wilson's live act was completely different and much, much better. It was like the records.

These compositions and arrangements deserve to live on and be played live as much as Beethoven or Bach. And I include ABBA's sublime and ridiculous music alongside all of the above. And there's nowhere I want to hear them more than opening the Pyramid stage on a Friday morning.

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My view on tribute bands has shifted considerably over the years. At their worst they're the live equivalent of those old TOTP records that were shit cover versions of current hit singles. However at their best they're essentially no different from the Berlin Philharmonic playing Beethoven. 

When I saw Brian Wilson in 2004, it was basically a Beach Boys tribute act. Wilson was there, but he wasn't a big part of the live act, and he wasn't the musical director. On a purely musical basis, if he dropped out of the tour, the experience would have improved. I've seen videos of The Beach Boys back in the 60s and 70s, and Wilson's live act was completely different and much, much better. It was like the records.

These compositions and arrangements deserve to live on and be played live as much as Beethoven or Bach. And I include ABBA's sublime and ridiculous music alongside all of the above. And there's nowhere I want to hear them more than opening the Pyramid stage on a Friday morning.

I appreciate the content of what you say, and the eloquence of how you have expressed your view. I'd have up voted your comment, but these dastardly time restrictions prevent me from doing so. Personally I'd like to hear the Berlin Philharmonic 'break out' and do something like 'Twisted Fire Starter', but then again, you can't have everything. 

As an aside a few of my mates used to go to see 'philharmonic' orchestras. They would take in about three bottles of red each, take an e just before they went in, and used to go to the toilets for a sniff also throughout the performance. Personally, I do think that I wouldn't need that kind of artillery to enjoy that music, but do acknowledge that the experience must have been bosting!

PS - Two of them actually got thrown out of an international badmington championship final at about 10.00am for being 'drunk'!

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

These new songs are going to be shit aren't they? Please don't be shit!

I sincerely hope, and believe, that you have no need to worry. Put that lot together on the music, lyrics, and vocals front, then it's more probably going to be a thing of beauty, than not be.

Anyway, stop showing 'the fear' - your frightening me. lol :)

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

If I remember correctly they played first on the Pyramid in the sun in ‘99. Great way to get the party started  :)

You remember correctly. The girls went off and the buys misbehaved and banged out B(j)orn to be Wild. I was on acid. It was great. The Blondie came on. They were pretty good too. What a great year!

I love ABBA - but am more than happy with their decision not  play live. They should be left in the tin. The same one that Spaced is in.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

You know, each to their own and all that but ABBA? Fucking hell.

I'm coming dressed as gammon. Pineapple hat and everything.

ABBA actually manage to both stretch and reflect my emotions, in a way like no other(s) group can. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but if we were all the same it would be bleak.

As an aside, I'm completely missing this 'gammon' thing. What's it all about?