New to you Music

stuartbert two hats

ten_thousand.png

I'm probably not the only person on here who runs across a great artist they've never heard before but the music isn't new enough for the New Music thread and not old enough to be a classic.  Well, that's what this thread is for.  Hopefully these artists will play the festival.  Here's one I found recently:

My word that is rather lovely! New to me too and I will be investigating further. Are you familiar with Max Richter? Not dissimilar.

My humble offering though is slightly different

False Lights "Crossing The Bar" from the album Salvor from 2015. LOVE the 2001 inspired video as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to The Lemon Twigs' debut album from 2016 over the last couple of days and it's seriously good. Retro sound but I'm not really sure who to compare it to (might be as simple as The Beatles?), if anyone has any recommendations based on these chuck them my way!

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Been listening to The Lemon Twigs' debut album from 2016 over the last couple of days and it's seriously good. Retro sound but I'm not really sure who to compare it to (might be as simple as The Beatles?), if anyone has any recommendations based on these chuck them my way!

I'd check out mid period Beach Boys - from Wild Honey to Surf's Up. Sunflower is a highlight of that era.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd check out mid period Beach Boys - from Wild Honey to Surf's Up. Sunflower is a highlight of that era.

Nice one thanks, I will. I've only heard Pet Sounds by them I think so about time I delved deeper.

22 hours ago, Odessa said:

Get on the Foxygen if you're not already since they're basically the same band (but better) especially their most recent record 'Hang'.

25 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Get on the Foxygen if you're not already since they're basically the same band (but better) especially their most recent record 'Hang'.

Cheers man, I think I gave Hang a listen a few months ago and wasn't feeling it, but just listening to Follow The Leader now and it's pretty good. I'll give the album another go tonight.

edit: I'm halfway through it and not sure I agree on the "same band" shout. It sounds like it's been written to be in a Disney film or something to me, and this is exactly what I thought last time I listened to it haha.

Edited by Odessa

• 4 weeks later...

Just listened to a couple of 70+ minute albums for the first time, almost feel like I need a lie down.

Teens Of Denial by Car Seat Headrest is a lot easier to get into than Twin Fantasy imo. Quite enjoyed that one. Drugs With Friends and Unforgiving Girl probably stood out the most. Will defo give TF another go soon.

Been listening to a bit of Father John Misty in the last couple of weeks cos I heard his new song Mr Tillman, which is great. Real Love Baby is great too and I've been liking his album I Love You, Honeybear. Just tried Pure Comedy though and found it to be a proper slog, probably gonna hold off returning to that unless I become obsessed with his other stuff or something. I'll check out his new one on Friday and hopefully it's a bit more focused. I know it's already leaked ages ago but I've only heard what's on spotify.

https://youtu.be/TUTZebZIun8

My friend knows these guys and introduced me to them. Theyre Canadian, and theyre doing pretty well over here but are only playing tiny shows when they head to Europe. 

https://youtu.be/tFGs7HP15d4

The Avett brothers. Just started listening to them and I'm in love. I have no idea how I never heard them before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve banged on about these before, but thought I’d post anyway; magnificent played loud through headphones.

More recent acoustic

I would say the best live band I’ve seen in recent years; passion and feeling by the bucket full.

13 hours ago, oneeye said:

I’ve banged on about these before, but thought I’d post anyway; magnificent played loud through headphones.

More recent acoustic

I would say the best live band I’ve seen in recent years; passion and feeling by the bucket full.

Hello oneeye,

Long time no speak. Love that first song - a lot. Will listen to the other song in a while. :)

Years and years ago I went to a small gig in the joiners Southampton. 

Any way the artist was called NUT and the album was called FANTANICITY. 

Any way this would definitely be one of the best albums ever and as she has just sent something on face ache it reminded me of just how much I loved the songs so check it out... 

Hope this works if not just look it and maybe you could post 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=tablet-android-hipstreet&q=nut+FANTANICITY&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-29PZyIvdAhVSa8AKHVTJB34QBQghKAA&biw=1024&bih=600

Edited by guypjfreak

53 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello oneeye,

Long time no speak. Love that first song - a lot. Will listen to the other song in a while. :)

Hi yogs, glad you like. He basically sings about his fucked up past life and how he’s now sort of sorted, hence the passion. Suggest starting with their Texas live 2015 gig and go from there, both back and forward in time; emotional stuff. Funny enough mrs oneeye and me are currently watching their live stuff various over a bottle of gin; Sunday nights don’t get much better....

PS your posts often make my day, some sanity in this mad world. 

• Upvote 1