big weekend 2019

jj200

7 minutes ago, Stuart1000 said:

The 1975 and Ariana Grande are both lock ons for this. Both have gaps in their American tours around 25th-26th May and have had all singles from their latest albums playlisted on Radio 1.

As long as Ariana Grande isn't a headliner, that's fine by me.

Rita Ora, George Ezra, Clean Bandit, Jess Glynne are free. Really, whoever was in Swansea last year could be back.. 

Random names throwing it out there, Little Mix, Calvin Harris, Rag'n'Bone Man & Dua Lipa.

25 minutes ago, stanh said:

If Ariana is on the cards, could the potential location be Manchester? As she did say she has something special planned for Manchester as part of the Sweetener tour, but it could also be Pride. Just a thought. 

it was in Hull two years ago so surely no chance. Birmingham will get it in 2022 so nowhere in the Midlands either. 

Somewhere in the South East would be my best guess. Brighton or Canterbury? Perth got probably the roughest leg of the 'Biggest Weekend' lineup so it could go somewhere in Scotland if Glasgow 2014 is deemed long enough ago. Maybe somewhere in Northern Ireland if anywhere other than Derry or Belfast is capable of holding big events. Idk.

12 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

it was in Hull two years ago so surely no chance. Birmingham will get it in 2022 so nowhere in the Midlands either. 

Somewhere in the South East would be my best guess. Brighton or Canterbury? Perth got probably the roughest leg of the 'Biggest Weekend' lineup so it could go somewhere in Scotland if Glasgow 2014 is deemed long enough ago. Maybe somewhere in Northern Ireland if anywhere other than Derry or Belfast is capable of holding big events. Idk.

I live in Canterbury and if it is Canterbury my best guess would be Merton farm because they used to have a muisc festival called lounge on the farm.

4 hours ago, jj200 said:

I live in Canterbury and if it is Canterbury my best guess would be Merton farm because they used to have a muisc festival called lounge on the farm.

I'll take your word for it on that but Canterbury certainly ticks all the usual boxes - student-y, somewhere routinely ignored by touring acts, at least 150 miles away from the last several cities to host it, and random but not too remote for the DJs to get there via public transport. It almost certainly won't be there now I've suggested it though, sorry :P 

37 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There’s surely no way they hold a ‘Jan Slam’ competition to go to the Big Weekend without the winner even knowing where it’s being held before committing to entering, would be all kinds of shitty.

I guess maybe that’s what the terms and conditions are for. They’ll provide transport, hotel etc I guess.

12 minutes ago, NickisGinger said:

I guess maybe that’s what the terms and conditions are for. They’ll provide transport, hotel etc I guess.

Still. Even if they announce somebody massively sought after like Ariana or something, nobody in their right mind would commit to going before they know where it is. They're definitely announcing it on Thursday.

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Still. Even if they announce somebody massively sought after like Ariana or something, nobody in their right mind would commit to going before they know where it is. They're definitely announcing it on Thursday.

I just have a funny feeling that the strokes are going be there because they are in the country.

12 hours ago, jj200 said:

I just have a funny feeling that the strokes are going be there because they are in the country.

The strokes never do things like this, they only ever headline proper festivals

17 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

Was listening to radio one last night and they played Muse, I thought hmm not very Radio One, maybe it's because they're popping up at Big weekend. Then they played Avicci which put that theory to bed.

You never know (about Muse obv) I wasn’t expecting to be announced for Norwich and I saw them there 

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Their tour seems to have sold terribly so some TV exposure a couple of weeks before would make sense. Would be interesting if they didn't headline!

Headlining at Big Weekend doesn’t really mean much though - if anything probably better for them to not headline as people will want to go to the main shows and won’t buy big weekend tickets instead. Sales can’t be that bad if they added that Bristol show anyway

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Their tour seems to have sold terribly so some TV exposure a couple of weeks before would make sense. Would be interesting if they didn't headline!

Headlining at Big Weekend doesn’t really mean much though - if anything probably better for them to not headline as people will want to go to the main shows and won’t buy big weekend tickets instead. Sales can’t be that bad if they added that Bristol show anyway