Visiting the farm in 2018

Jelly Belly

47 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

It seems they are normally comfortable with the odd few people wandering about but as festival time approaches on the fallow year, they are putting out a stronger message so people don't just turn up and make their own Glastonbury 2018.

I think there will be security on site over what would be the festival period too - from solstice onwards.

Mainly to stop this happening x 500:

:lol::lol:

well I dont blame them ....once they see me in my fancy dress they really will be worried :)

23 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting...is this the standard response to visit enquiries that has been given previously?  It seems to suggest a more restrictive approach than before ref access to Pyramid, Green Fields etc?

I went to visit around this time last year - they were just starting to get things ready to build the festival - and the email was a lot less restrictive than the one above then. I guess, as has been pointed out, they are trying to avoid a mini-Glastonbury creating itself by everyone turning up that weekend.

But if memory serves all I was given was a reply with a map and asking me to stick to the footpaths and close all gates behind me...

When I visited a fortnight ago, there were signs up advising that there was no public right of way to the Pyramid and West Holts fields. There were a couple of tractors working, I think they were silaging.

When I visited in October I think there was a similar sign up on a gate that would usually be the link between the bottom of the Pyramid field towards where John Peel tent used to be. There was also a massive bull (and his harem of cows) in the field before you walk through to the Stone Circle. Sign or no sign, there was no chance I was walking through there...

I guess when the festival isn't on there's even more reason to respect the farm.

I just happened to be in Glastonbury last Sunday with my kids on my birthday. We went and had a lovely walk round the site. It's really strange how much smaller it seems when it's empty.

We saw Michael pulling up outside Pilton church on the way and gave him a wave.

We just wandered down Hitchin hill and had a big walk around most of the site. There were a few locals and family's walking their dogs and a few vehicles driving around the fields looking like they were on farm work business. Nobody seemed bothered that we were there. We stuck to the paths and tracks and had a lovely time.

We took some photos underneath the pyramid (which wasnt fenced off) and at the stone circle.

I reckon they are pretty cool about visitors in small numbers, especially if you are respectful but i also completely understand why they don't want hordes of people descending on the place.

We came across a fire pit with loads of beer cans and rubbish left around it. Could be locals or it could be festival fans - either way you can see why they want to discourage these kind of visitors though. Respect the land and I reckon your pretty welcome to roam.

On 20/04/2018 at 7:55 PM, Glastoboy said:

I just happened to be in Glastonbury last Sunday with my kids on my birthday. We went and had a lovely walk round the site. It's really strange how much smaller it seems when it's empty.

We saw Michael pulling up outside Pilton church on the way and gave him a wave.

We just wandered down Hitchin hill and had a big walk around most of the site. There were a few locals and family's walking their dogs and a few vehicles driving around the fields looking like they were on farm work business. Nobody seemed bothered that we were there. We stuck to the paths and tracks and had a lovely time.

We took some photos underneath the pyramid (which wasnt fenced off) and at the stone circle.

I reckon they are pretty cool about visitors in small numbers, especially if you are respectful but i also completely understand why they don't want hordes of people descending on the place.

We came across a fire pit with loads of beer cans and rubbish left around it. Could be locals or it could be festival fans - either way you can see why they want to discourage these kind of visitors though. Respect the land and I reckon your pretty welcome to roam.

I went for a stroll on Saturday last week, & also saw Michael as we arrived. Where was the pit & rubbish? We covered most of the a site & the only pit I can think of was in the wood, but it wasn’t messy 

• 2 months later...

We went down yesterday and it was absolutely fine, the staff were so laid back and friendly. We didn't catch a glimpse of the main man but first off we had a wander up to the Pyramid and took a few pictures then made our way up to the Stone Circle where they were setting up for Emily Eavis's birthday party happening tonight, my 2 year old is obsessed with diggers and tractors so the fella setting up let her have a little sit in that which made her day. Haven't been to the festival itself since 2011 due to being unable to get tickets, having a kid etc but we're now buzzing to get back on the horse as soon as we can.

IMG_20180720_151839_038.jpg

IMG_20180720_151642_029.jpg

IMG_20180720_151435_549.jpg

IMG_20180720_150833_405.jpg

IMG_20180720_121101_276.jpg

Edited by Jelly Belly
  • Upvote 4

• 7 months later...

We're in the area tonight and planning to have a walk round tomorrow (in the pouring rain for the true Glasto experience). Any thoughts on the nest place to park to minimise walking? I was thinking it would be handy to park near the old railway and use that to orientate and cut off across the site.

40 minutes ago, Mackem said:

We're in the area tonight and planning to have a walk round tomorrow (in the pouring rain for the true Glasto experience). Any thoughts on the nest place to park to minimise walking? I was thinking it would be handy to park near the old railway and use that to orientate and cut off across the site.

Parking on side of Pylle Road near junction with Copse Lane, and heading onto site via Mary's Gate and down Muddy Lane is a good bet. 

17 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Parking on side of Pylle Road near junction with Copse Lane, and heading onto site via Mary's Gate and down Muddy Lane is a good bet. 

Thanks for this - didn’t work sadly,  as we arrived and were faced with a locked gate and a sign saying it was only open during the week. Turned out to be fortuitous though. We drove round to the other side of the site - up Stickleball Lane, parked outside a farm. Out of politeness we asked the farmer if it was OK to park there. When I told him what we were doing he suggested he gave us a tour in his Land Rover. It was brilliant - he took us all round the site, past the farm, through the Pyramid field, over the railway, stone circle, Cockmill Lane behind the Acoustic. Have us loads of gossip Andy opinion on the festival, the Eavis’ and lots of the local farmers who rent out their fields. Given it was raining it was 10x better than if we’d walked ourselves with little plan. On the downside my photos were lousy as I was trying to snap them from the back through his window!

3C0905B9-2C30-49DE-8236-23AA528191A6.jpeg

FDDAB5C7-8E69-4E64-B736-C6B0652E635E.jpeg

9A27C6D2-D733-465F-842C-F4A65B843D2F.jpeg

1ABC054E-B520-47C6-8212-94171F48BBDC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mackem said:

Thanks for this - didn’t work sadly,  as we arrived and were faced with a locked gate and a sign saying it was only open during the week. Turned out to be fortuitous though. We drove round to the other side of the site - up Stickleball Lane, parked outside a farm. Out of politeness we asked the farmer if it was OK to park there. When I told him what we were doing he suggested he gave us a tour in his Land Rover. It was brilliant - he took us all round the site, past the farm, through the Pyramid field, over the railway, stone circle, Cockmill Lane behind the Acoustic. Have us loads of gossip Andy opinion on the festival, the Eavis’ and lots of the local farmers who rent out their fields. Given it was raining it was 10x better than if we’d walked ourselves with little plan. On the downside my photos were lousy as I was trying to snap them from the back through his window!

3C0905B9-2C30-49DE-8236-23AA528191A6.jpeg

FDDAB5C7-8E69-4E64-B736-C6B0652E635E.jpeg

9A27C6D2-D733-465F-842C-F4A65B843D2F.jpeg

1ABC054E-B520-47C6-8212-94171F48BBDC.jpeg

Fab....a free tour!  What a result ?

Spent hours wandering about the site in June, respecting the country code and sticking to open paths. Magical and incredible to see the spot where we usually pitch covered in crops. The lanes around the perimeter of the site also are great to wander around. A bit envious of the free tour though! The picture I posted earlier above is the Hitchin Hill covered over long drops at sunset. 

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Spent hours wandering about the site in June, respecting the country code and sticking to open paths. Magical and incredible to see the spot where we usually pitch covered in crops. The lanes around the perimeter of the site also are great to wander around. A bit envious of the free tour though! The picture I posted earlier above is the Hitchin Hill covered over long drops at sunset. 

Yes we saw quite a few covered long drops. Our ‘tour guide’ said the smell of the sewage upset people whereas I was thinking whenever I encounter it elsewhere it makes me happy and pine for Glasto :)