Lowlands Festival 2018 (17th - 19th August)

truly_mangled

Hey guys!

I know there is not a massive load of people who make their way out to Lowlands over Pukkelpop on the same weekend (attended in 2011 and 2014)...

I saw a few Irish folks like myself in previous threads making the trip as well as others, so I will put a shout out to anyone going! :D This will be a brand new trip for myself, and all I have seen is positive online stuff about the festival, will be camping over there with my brother... Any advice, tips, info, or reviews (how much is a beer / or a token!), I would love to hear about from previous Lowlanders!

The more the merrier coming, anybody is willing to camp near us, be nice to have some veterans around us ;)

Line-Up so far with hopefully approx 3 waves (60 ish) of bands to be added!

lowlands18.jpg

Edited by truly_mangled

I went in 2006 and had a good time, the theme park next door was included back then (don't know if it still is), so that was fun in the mornings. Main and second stage were in ginormous tents,  took a while to get in to camping on the first day ... that's about all I remember (sorry, gotta feeling this will be a quiet thread so just trying to get the ball rolling )

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gregory said:

I went in 2006 and had a good time, the theme park next door was included back then (don't know if it still is), so that was fun in the mornings. Main and second stage were in ginormous tents,  took a while to get in to camping on the first day ... that's about all I remember (sorry, gotta feeling this will be a quiet thread so just trying to get the ball rolling )

Hey there, cheers for the reply and the info! Yeah it definitely seems the large majority on efestivals always opt for Pukkelpop that weekend.

I was there twice previous years and it is a solid festival, but looking to do something new and different (was at Rock Werchter last year), so I have my mind set checking out Lowlands this time around! 

It would be definitely nice if the theme park would be included but I doubt it, must check for more info regarding it! 

I have read elsewhere that the campsite has flushing toilets so that is a definite positive haha! :rolleyes:

Edited by truly_mangled

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, visdave34 said:

Went there 10 times since 2001, will elaborate a bit when I find some time. In short, it’s a unique festival and I have no doubt you will have the best of times there. Any specifics you’d like to know about?

Hey there, late post thought I would update now since the lineup drop!

From a camping point of view, how is the site in comparison to others? Also how much is a beer (is it the usual 1 token = 1 beer, and 2 tokens for a large beer etc), hope to get there on Thursday so would be nice if there is a late night session to start the weekend...

How are you finding the lineup so far? Will there be two more waves incoming? :rolleyes:;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 2:01 AM, truly_mangled said:

Hey there, late post thought I would update now since the lineup drop!

From a camping point of view, how is the site in comparison to others? Also how much is a beer (is it the usual 1 token = 1 beer, and 2 tokens for a large beer etc), hope to get there on Thursday so would be nice if there is a late night session to start the weekend...

How are you finding the lineup so far? Will there be two more waves incoming? :rolleyes:;)

Sorry mate, I totally forgot to answer! Hope it's not too late, here goes:

As far as camping is concerned, I only have experience with Rock Werchter, but I can tell you Lowlands camping is very well-organised. Most campings have 24h showers and all campings have a camping shop for food & drinks (cold cans of beer). There's also a camping shop if you need a new sleeping bag, air mattress,  poncho's or other utilities.
Where the camping is different than RW's is that the camping is an integral part of the festival. Since they only sell weekend tickets including camping, I'd say 90% of the festival goers (maybe more) are camping at the festival. When you arrive, there's one large security checkpoint where all your luggage is checked and where you receive your festival wristband. From there, everything is really relaxed. No checks when you go from camping to the festival arena for instance. There is security on entering the arena, but they will only stop you when they see you bringing stuff in that's prohibited in the arena, like large backpacks or your own drinks.

Beer: 1 token is 1 (small) beer indeed. Large beer is 1.5 or 2 tokens, can't really remember :)))

On Thursday, one of the three 'main areas' of the festival arena is already open. I've never been there this early since they do it this way, but I hear there is a slient disco area (very crowded though) and bars are open in that section of the festival. Don't know if there is any music or parties besided that silent disco area.

I'm not going this year (chose BKS and RW), but I feel the lineup is a bit lean still... Kendrick and Gorillaz are great headliners, but apart from some other personal indie favorites (TWOD, Grizzly Bear, Protomartyr, Bonobo, King Gizz for instance) it's still a bit lacking for me personally. However, with one or two fairly substantial waves of confirmations I expect still to come and always lots of interesting smaller names to discover, they always manage to keep me running from one stage to the other for three days straight, so I never worry about their line-up.

Hope this helps, just fire away if you need to know more.

There's also some English info on the website:
http://lowlands.nl/english/

Edited by visdave34

• 4 weeks later...

Lowlands is pretty damn awesome, I went last year, returning again this year.

The lineup's actually pretty damn solid. I'm excited to see alot of lowkey acts and there's a HUGE varience as always. 

The camp site is mad fun with great facilities. Showers, toilets and lockers for the weekend for 25eur which I used to stash my passport in. Food is fairly reasonably priced, rules aren't super strict, it's a fun calm atmosphere and I didn't have any bad moments last year. I'm very excited to go again and meet more people! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

New:

Nile Rodgers & CHIC, The Tallis Scholars, Blaudzun, Miles Kane, ZHU, Portico Quartet, Alika & Nueva Alianza, Amenra, Amyl and The Sniffers, Arp Frique & Family, Carista, GAIKA, Jayda G, Moose Blood, Nakhane, Pythius, Sons of Kemet, SOPHIE (dj-set + visuals), Thunderpussy,  Yung Feurich

Check out Amenra. Best current Liveact.

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 12:03 PM, ourkid1984 said:

I'm thinking about going next year. Just wondering what the prices are like for food and drink and if they do any pre pitched tents and if so how much would they be? 

Thanks

About tents: Yes, they do offer pre-pitched tents. Look for the 'Gllamcamp', and then they offer a basic and deluxe version. This year the basic for 2 persons was €79,50 pp (so €159 total) and you get a tent with two air beds. As far as I understand you can get a sleeping bag and pillow (as well as table and seats), but you have to buy them rather than rent. They also had 8 persons regular and army tents. They have a lot of options for deluxe (ranging from tipi to caravan, 2 to 9 persons), but costs a lot more of course (starting at €160 pp). This comes on top of your regular festival ticket of course.

I am not sure about food and drinks, but token price was €2,80 this year. So most drinks 1-3 tokens, most food 3-6 tokens would be my best guess. So pretty normal festival prices, never heard complaints about Lowlands being overly expensive.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

About tents: Yes, they do offer pre-pitched tents. Look for the 'Gllamcamp', and then they offer a basic and deluxe version. This year the basic for 2 persons was €79,50 pp (so €159 total) and you get a tent with two air beds. As far as I understand you can get a sleeping bag and pillow (as well as table and seats), but you have to buy them rather than rent. They also had 8 persons regular and army tents. They have a lot of options for deluxe (ranging from tipi to caravan, 2 to 9 persons), but costs a lot more of course (starting at €160 pp). This comes on top of your regular festival ticket of course.

I am not sure about food and drinks, but token price was €2,80 this year. So most drinks 1-3 tokens, most food 3-6 tokens would be my best guess. So pretty normal festival prices, never heard complaints about Lowlands being overly expensive.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

• 9 months later...