Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eFestivals

next announcement ...

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, man next door said:

Oh dear. It's not very good this year, is it?

For me, the Watchet lineup is much better.

horses for courses and all that, but scouting for girls, better? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

horses for courses and all that, but scouting for girls, better? :blink:

I don't know what you mean. How can you argue with a band who have sold 2 million records, been nominated for 4 Brit awards and 1 Novello award?

Their first album was 3 x Platinum and the follow up hit the gold sales threshold.

Their most streamed song on Spotify has had more listens than the total of the most streamed song of all of Wychwood's 3 headliners. It's been listened to over 30 times more than Baxter Dury's highest streamed song. 

Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them a bad band or a bad booking. 

It's all very subjective, but the stats really do speak for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, man next door said:

I don't know what you mean. How can you argue with a band who have sold 2 million records, been nominated for 4 Brit awards and 1 Novello award?

Their first album was 3 x Platinum and the follow up hit the gold sales threshold.

Their most streamed song on Spotify has had more listens than the total of the most streamed song of all of Wychwood's 3 headliners. It's been listened to over 30 times more than Baxter Dury's highest streamed song. 

and Westlife would do even better. Those sorts of counts are a popularity contest away from festivals, and not necessarily relevant for festivals.

 

17 minutes ago, man next door said:

Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them a bad band or a bad booking. 

As i said, horses for courses. :)

Tho I did think (without making any Wychwood comparison) when i was updating the Watchet line-up here yesterday that Watchet's line-up this year felt particularly old and sad compared to plenty of others.

(Scouting for Girls are the act a bit different to that general theme).

 

17 minutes ago, man next door said:

It's all very subjective, but the stats really do speak for themselves.

Yep, there's no doubting that they're very popular.

I wonder how well that popularity matches up with Watchet, when bearing in mind the other acts on its bill and what it's had down the years, as well as the slightly different sorts of festival bills you more normally see Scouting for Girls on.

But there's at least one happy punter in you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great news for Wychwood that they've secured Scouting for Girls this year. I gather they'd been after them for quite a while.

T'Pau (is that original members??) and then SFG (as I like to call them) will bring the house down.

Anyone who says that their stats aren't relevant for festivals is just plain wrong. 

Do you think they might be able to get Westlife for the Saturday headliner, Neil? 

Edited by man next door

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, man next door said:

It's great news for Wychwood that they've secured Scouting for Girls this year. I gather they'd been after them for quite a while.

T'Pau (is that original members??) and then SFG (as I like to call them) will bring the house down.

Anyone who says that their stats aren't relevant for festivals is just plain wrong. 

Do you think they might be able to get Westlife for the Saturday headliner, Neil? 

hey, wasn't it you who who drooling over a Scouting For Girls line-up last year?

It was definitely you who reckoned I'd have a meltdown over something and then it was you who had the meltdown.

How old are you, btw? I could guess, but i'm surprised you're writing. :D 

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just enjoying reading your ever more desperate attempts to portray Wychwood as a credible music festival.

It's the gift that keeps giving.

I Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, man next door said:

I'm just enjoying reading your ever more desperate attempts to portray Wychwood as a credible music festival.

It's the gift that keeps giving.

I Thank you. 

care to say where I've endorsed it recently, to be that "ever more desperate" anything? I barely endorse anything at all.

Oh look, I haven't and you're full of shit with a grudge (about what? No idea). Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on children.  Each to their own.  I've been a Wychwood goer for many years and signed up to their Ticket for Life scheme a few years ago. Why? Because it's a delightful festival with a varied line up and will usually include a few acts that I will really enjoy.  Bill Bailey a couple of years ago remains one of my all-time festival highlights.  But for me festivals ceased to be about headliners a long while back.  It's about a chance to chill and meet up with old friends and enjoy a few days away in my caravan.  Now if that makes me an old fart, so be it.

Wychwood ticks those boxes for me and it's also a relatively short tow of my van.  It's also a good start to the festival season and a chance to check out all of my festival gear.  If it were 200 miles away I probably wouldn't be so keen but people choose their festivals for a wide variety of reasons.  As people have said so often about Glastonbury it isn't just about the line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grumpyhack sums it up ! And if you only got crap to say keep it to yourself. Good luck to Watchet and all the other festivals but for us as a family Wychwood ticks all the boxes and then sum. 

Best family weekend of the year. Thanks to everyone who work so hard to put it together they deserve a pat on th back not a muppet just trying to make noise and sound clever. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 9:16 AM, Christian_chambers said:

Grumpyhack sums it up ! And if you only got crap to say keep it to yourself. Good luck to Watchet and all the other festivals but for us as a family Wychwood ticks all the boxes and then sum. 

Best family weekend of the year. Thanks to everyone who work so hard to put it together they deserve a pat on th back not a muppet just trying to make noise and sound clever. 

 

yeah, fair enough.

It's not cool to spoil your fun - each to their own.

'Proudly supported by efestivals' on the front page of the Wychwood website presumably wouldn't count as any sort of endorsement for Neil either, so I am going to leave it well alone now. 

I do feel that perhaps the ticket for life scheme has a detrimental effect on the festival going forward, as it's people through the door - who are going to come anyway - but don't actually add to the coffers year on year. (atleast that's the way I understand it, anyway). 

I hope you have a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, man next door said:

yeah, fair enough.

It's not cool to spoil your fun - each to their own.

but you'll do it anyway. :rolleyes: 

5 minutes ago, man next door said:

'Proudly supported by efestivals' on the front page of the Wychwood website presumably wouldn't count as any sort of endorsement for Neil either, so I am going to leave it well alone now. 

Why talk about things you know nothing about? :rolleyes: 

 

5 minutes ago, man next door said:

I do feel that perhaps the ticket for life scheme has a detrimental effect on the festival going forward, as it's people through the door - who are going to come anyway - but don't actually add to the coffers year on year. (atleast that's the way I understand it, anyway). 

Why talk about things you know nothing about? :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticket For Life is very simple.  You agree to buy a ticket each year (unless you choose to cancel the agreement) and pay by monthly instalments.  In return the price you pay is the price of a ticket in the year you buy in.  So, even if ticket prices rise year on year, you are still paying the same as when you signed up.

The plus point for the organisers is that they get a certain, guaranteed steady income stream which helps their cash flow.  The possible downside is that you are agreeing to buy a ticket before you know who will be playing - but that's not uncommon with quite a lot of festival Early Bird deals or with the Glastonbury approach.  But if it's a festival that fits with your general tastes you can usually be sure that there will be a few gems amongst the bands and enough variety to keep you happy.

If Glastonbury offered a similar deal I would have bitten their arm off years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers Grumpy.

Yeah, it does sound like a good idea - obvious benefits for both festival and punter. 

I wish I'd locked in to a few festivals at the prices of 5-10 years ago... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...