Anyone have experience with the "disabled access facilities?"

0FestivalFreak0

A disabled guy (wheelchair user) and his partner posted some stuff on here last year (I think), including links to a great 4 part blog filmed at the fest. about their experience - looked to me like they had a wild time! I think they're also very up for dealing with any questions.

Sorry, I'm crap at search stuff or I'd give you the link, but hopefully someone on here will be able to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping this thread up in case very much like myself, anyone else is a bit worried/anxious about going through the Glasto experience with disabilities. I've been to the festival before, but not with the physical limitations I have now and the ones I might have to deal with in the coming months/years.

A lot of people here keep referencing Andy Barrow's blog which unfortunately isn't online anymore. I've found three of his entries cached on archive.org and on LinkedIn and saved them to .pdf. 

They are great, made me feel it'll be alright ...

If anyone else has any specific advice, thank you in advance for sharing.

The challenge of Glastonbury - Andy Barrow.pdf

Glastonbury top 10 tips for people with a disability.pdf

The access facilities at Glastonbury - Andy Barrow.pdf

Glastonbury_ 10 Top Tips! (Part Two).pdf

Edited by Gabi_says

I received the PA and access registration pack today, so they're on their way out already.

Registration deadline is 15th of March and if you are wanting to apply for a campervan/caravan space in the accessible campsite you should return your applications by the end of November to ensure you don’t miss out.

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, hiddengem said:

We got ours too. If I remember right you were also getting an electric hook up weren't you? Ours says something about electric 003 on it or something. Is your similar? 

Yes I'm 5 away from you, will come say hi !! ?

• Like 1

Where parking in the Disabled parking this year and expect to arrive around 7am Wednesday morning, its our first time parking here, just wondering if anyone could say if this is a good time to arrive, shall we leave abit later closer to the gates opening times? Don't want to wait too long queing up this year if possible

FYI there will be a DeafZone (which I'm a volunteer on).  I'm told:

- All performances on the Pyramid Stage and the Other Stage will be BSL interpreted. The interpreters will be on the Disabled Viewing Platforms.

- Left Field events are BSL interpreted from approximately noon till 4.30 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The interpreters will be on the stage or elsewhere in the tent.

- There will be a couple of Roaming Interpreters / Music Interpreters which you can prebook. Booking early as possible is advised.  

This is just what I've been told and is not official information so you will have to verify with official information sources or check with the DeafZone when you arrive. (ie. don't complain to me if it's different on the day.) To the OP, I know this isn't your disability, but I hope it's useful information for other people. 

There will be roughly 20 interpreters & 8 Deaf staff supporting deaf festival goers & holding BSL workshops, so if you fancy learning or polishing up your signing please come to one of our sessions :)

Edited by GreenTomato
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi All, 

I'm coming to Glasto this year for the first time in a while and for the first time since being diagnosed with metastatic cancer, so i'm in the disabled area too this year (figured I might not make it to next years so I need to seize the day!). I think I'm pretty set for the outside world of the festival (got my carriable chair, loads of gin, and people willing to get me to a bus when I hit the fatigue wall or my bone cancer gets painful!) But it's been really stressing me out not being to find much info on what it's like in the actual camping areas. Can anyone help?

• We're in tents (I thought it would be inconsiderate to take up a campervan space) but we're not getting in until thursday afternoon, where as normally we'd get to the old camp area on wednesday morning - will it be rammed? We've only got 2 tents but want to camp together.
  • What are the facilities like? I've heard horror stories about the disabled loos.
  • Are there any places to get coffee/drinks in there or would we need to go out of the area?

Anything else I ought to know? 

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can help me! x

On 6/17/2019 at 9:47 AM, oh_gosh said:Hi All, 

I'm coming to Glasto this year for the first time in a while and for the first time since being diagnosed with metastatic cancer, so i'm in the disabled area too this year (figured I might not make it to next years so I need to seize the day!). I think I'm pretty set for the outside world of the festival (got my carriable chair, loads of gin, and people willing to get me to a bus when I hit the fatigue wall or my bone cancer gets painful!) But it's been really stressing me out not being to find much info on what it's like in the actual camping areas. Can anyone help?

• We're in tents (I thought it would be inconsiderate to take up a campervan space) but we're not getting in until thursday afternoon, where as normally we'd get to the old camp area on wednesday morning - will it be rammed? We've only got 2 tents but want to camp together.
  • What are the facilities like? I've heard horror stories about the disabled loos.
  • Are there any places to get coffee/drinks in there or would we need to go out of the area?

Anything else I ought to know? 

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can help me! x

We have camped in Springfield's for years, to be honest I wouldn’t want to camp anywhere else. It’s secure and super friendly and helpful. There is a minibus service that will take you and your gear from the car park to the field, with helpers on the other side.

It will be busy on Thursday, but still space to put up your tents, they are very organised with space, so everyone fits in, and no one is tented willy nilly. 

The toilets are the toilets, personally I think they are better than the ones out in the general public, the wheelchair accessed ones defo are, you will also get a code to all the disabled access loos in the general public as they are combi locked so only disabled can use them

there is a main tent, where you can charge up your chair or scooter, mobile phone, as well as get hot water for a brew. They have showers and also a secured fridge for meds. 

It is a really great atmosphere, and the staff and volunteers work are fabulous. 

I hope this answers some of your questions x

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 10:08 PM, citrine said:

We have camped in Springfield's for years, to be honest I wouldn’t want to camp anywhere else. It’s secure and super friendly and helpful. There is a minibus service that will take you and your gear from the car park to the field, with helpers on the other side.

It will be busy on Thursday, but still space to put up your tents, they are very organised with space, so everyone fits in, and no one is tented willy nilly. 

The toilets are the toilets, personally I think they are better than the ones out in the general public, the wheelchair accessed ones defo are, you will also get a code to all the disabled access loos in the general public as they are combi locked so only disabled can use them

there is a main tent, where you can charge up your chair or scooter, mobile phone, as well as get hot water for a brew. They have showers and also a secured fridge for meds. 

It is a really great atmosphere, and the staff and volunteers work are fabulous. 

I hope this answers some of your questions x

Thank you this is super helpful. I was really stressing about the camping - debated sending the tents with the preparty to put up but feared they wouldn't be allowed in the area to get them up! 

Looking forwards to getting back to the farm - I wasn't sure I'd make it again, but I'm so happy there are these facilities that mean I can! 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:50 PM, Watergirl said:

Thank you - I had seen these and they'd put my mind at ease loads about the outside world of the festival - it was just the immediate camping areas I wasn't sure on!