Secret sets 2018

jj200

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It won't be Arctic Monkeys. I reckon it'll either be The 1975, BMTH or Biffy.

I don’t think Arctic Monkeys is too unreasonable a shout really. I wouldn’t necessarily expect them but they’re not busy with anything else and they’re still possible for next year. However it’d be so massive they’d have to do what they did with Green Day again.

The 1975 seems to have been essentially ruled out by their manager saying their next tour dates (which he previously outlined would be October) won’t be a surprise. BMTH far and away most likely for me.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think Arctic Monkeys is too unreasonable a shout really. I wouldn’t necessarily expect them but they’re not busy with anything else and they’re still possible for next year. However it’d be so massive they’d have to do what they did with Green Day again.

The 1975 seems to have been essentially ruled out by their manager saying their next tour dates (which he previously outlined would be October) won’t be a surprise. BMTH far and away most likely for me.

I guess AM could potentially happen, but I don't really see why they would/what they'd gain from it, let alone the fact it'd be dangerously massive. I agree that BMTH seem to be the most likely at this point though.

20 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why Biffy?

They're expected to have new material out towards the end of this year no? Given that they're such regulars at the festival it wouldn't surprise me if they showcased that material there.

4 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I guess AM could potentially happen, but I don't really see why they would/what they'd gain from it, let alone the fact it'd be dangerously massive. I agree that BMTH seem to be the most likely at this point though.

Huge amount of publicity of their new album to the most 'Arctic Monkeys' festival fanbase basically out there? I would like to see it happen.

55 minutes ago, gfa said:

Huge amount of publicity of their new album to the most 'Arctic Monkeys' festival fanbase basically out there? I would like to see it happen.

An album that will have been out for over 3 months by the time of the festival? If they wanted the publicity you'd have thought they'd be headlining the festival.

It might happen, but I highly doubt it.

21 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

An album that will have been out for over 3 months by the time of the festival? If they wanted the publicity you'd have thought they'd be headlining the festival.

It might happen, but I highly doubt it.

I mean more for the tour in the winter, so people go to their shows as they clearly don't (or reading wouldn't pay them enough £££s) want to headline.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I mean more for the tour in the winter, so people go to their shows as they clearly don't (or reading wouldn't pay them enough £££s) want to headline.

I'm sure their shows will sell out just fine without having to do a secret set at R&L.

I'm sure bands do secret sets for the hell of it sometimes rather than solely to promote something. But I imagine they would get a healthy paycheck for playing (added onto a fee for next year in this scenario) footed by R+L who will reap the benefits of the publicity massively going into 2019.

Really random suggestion but what about The Strokes, they haven't done Reading for years and are expecting an album in 2019 - although they have no tour plans yet (if ever at this point) for the summer yet so its quite doubtful

On 10/04/2018 at 12:13 PM, Jericode said:

Depends what a poiet is and whether they can find twenty one of them

Gus, Diego, +19

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Really random suggestion but what about The Strokes, they haven't done Reading for years and are expecting an album in 2019 - although they have no tour plans yet (if ever at this point) for the summer yet so its quite doubtful

Nah. Those lads are mercenaries so they're not popping over to play a gig if they're not promoting anything or getting paid their full fee. Plus Albert and Jules are both touring their own projects at the moment anyway. I wouldn't count on a 2019 Strokes album either FWIW.

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah. Those lads are mercenaries so they're not popping over to play a gig if they're not promoting anything or getting paid their full fee. Plus Albert and Jules are both touring their own projects at the moment anyway. I wouldn't count on a 2019 Strokes album either FWIW.

Haha i like the description of 'mercenaries,' and whatever site it was said 2019 minimum so yeah.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AM won’t do a secret set. R+L didn’t even consider them as a headline act even though they were available. Put their noses out that did.

Biffy is a good shout for an acoustic set before their MTV Unplugged tour.

BMTH is also a good one, been pretty quiet and have new stuff out later in 2018. They went down well in 2013 and R+L have got loads of flack for moving away from their rock roots.

Foos are in the US July/September but do have August free so who knows. Bit of a long way to play a 45 mind set in a tent though.

30 Seconds to Mars wouldn’t play - can’t even get Jared’s ego in the Radio 1 tent! Saw them earlier this year for the 2nd time and they weren’t that impressive tbh - just two brothers and a backing track! 

13 minutes ago, KipperMog said:

AM won’t do a secret set. R+L didn’t even consider them as a headline act even though they were available. Put their noses out that did.

I don't think that's true is it? Didn't R/L tweet something about AM wanting to do their own thing? That suggests they were asked and declined.