University project, survey for festival transportation of attendees goods/materials

Datk94

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XRVRNHX 

My university project is at the University of Edinburgh and would really appreciate 3 mins of your time to fill this out.

This survey is for market research (University project) into how Festivan can enhance the experience of a music festival for the campers. We all know the dread of carrying our rucksacks, crates of alcohol and food for what seems like a life time until we reach a suitable camping spot (especially through the mud). 

The idea is to have vehicular transport to take your luggage off you, transport it to the camping site, allowing for you to wait in the entrance line or walk without the added mass. As soon as you meet the member of staff at the location within the camping site, they will check its you (you will receive a unique code for your items) and you can pitch up without already being exhausted. There is also an option of transporting goods from supermarkets to the site, saving money at the festivals for a delivery fee. 
  • Downvote 1

No, no, no no way I want hundreds more vehicles moving round a festival site just to transport stuff.  The only exception being if i was mobility impaired. Polluting, dangerous and just an awful idea, sorry. 

26 minutes ago, bexj said:

No, no, no no way I want hundreds more vehicles moving round a festival site just to transport stuff.  The only exception being if i was mobility impaired. Polluting, dangerous and just an awful idea, sorry. 

Plus it's one thing to transport peoples kit onto site from a very limited number of potential pick up locations over a couple of days - arranging to transport it away afterwards in a more condensed time period is a whole lot more difficult logistically and basically unrealistic. So having just encouraged people to bring more kit, most of them won't be able to transport it back in the same way and will be more inclined to leave it behind.

I've done your survey. 

I'd just like to say publicly (so people know), that at Shambala they have bicycle type rickshaw things whereby the cyclist offers to carry your kit, while cycling alongside you as you walk unhindered by the burden of carrying loads of stuff. Mind you, it is a flat site, so it's quite easy for the cyclist. You simply pay them what you think the service is worth.

On top of the above Shambala also has loads of wheelbarrows on the outside of the festival. You can place a deposit to take a wheelbarrow, put your stuff in it, take your stuff to site, return the wheelbarrow, and get your deposit back. Again, a small donation to charity this time, is expected, but not demanded.

The above two methods of transport are green, and not a nuisance to other people entering or leaving site (as they are available for leaving the festival too). This to me is the way forward for some festivals who want to increase their green credentials, as well as offer value to the punters.

• Upvote 1

See above. Yoghurt got it right. The best method is to bring what you can carry and I'm hoping people soon learn to take home all that they bring. I'm actually against the camping gear sold on site  (apart from weather related emergency kit) as the people too lazy to bring their own tent, inflated bed may be the same ones who are to lazy to take it home?

Just filled it out.

Agree with all of the above, plus, for me, choosing a camping spot is a thing (exciting but also stressy), wouldn't give that up. Plus, how on earth to co-ordinate taking my stuff off me and then after several weeks of queuing and security and all that bollocks meeting up.

If you're only going to carry stuff post security that's only 10% of the haulage done.

Also, if you took everything off me - I'd end up going to the bar or drinking the stuff I'd be carrying and the whole thing would get messy.

4 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Also, if you took everything off me - I'd end up going to the bar or drinking the stuff I'd be carrying and the whole thing would get messy.

I hadn't thought of that. You'd just never see any of your kit ever again. Going that feral so soon in to a festival could indeed get very messy.

The whole experience includes getting you and your stuff onsite, setting up camp. Simple solution is don't take more than you can carry. 

Extra vehicles etc on sites is just a no go. It's muddy enough from just people when wet. 

And having a Deliveroo type thing on site to bring food to your tent, another experience killer. How often have you gone off to get food only to buy a different meal because it looked/smelled too good to pass up? 

• Like 1

I agree - if you can't carry it, don't take it.  FFS look after yourself and don't expect other people to pander to your needs.  But there are probably people who would pay for others to be pandering to them.  Not for me though.

(though, thinking about it, it might be tempting for them to transport my alcohol......)

Thank you for everyone's participation, i have received valuable feedback i can use and have closed the survey.

As i said earlier it was just a university project, this will not receive further progression. My apologies if my message was mis-construed ,  i now understand the ecological impact as well as the logistical impact. I'm just speaking for a team whom shared a similar experience , however, is not the same at all festivals.

Yet again, apologies and thank you for helping out with my university project, it genuinely means a lot.

Kind regards

David

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Datk94 said:

Thank you for everyone's participation, i have received valuable feedback i can use and have closed the survey.

As i said earlier it was just a university project, this will not receive further progression. My apologies if my message was mis-construed ,  i now understand the ecological impact as well as the logistical impact. I'm just speaking for a team whom shared a similar experience , however, is not the same at all festivals.

Yet again, apologies and thank you for helping out with my university project, it genuinely means a lot.

Kind regards

David

Hello David,

No need for apologies on this one. Fear not. You came in at one angle, and others (myself included) came in from another. It's no great shakes, believe me. Well, it isn't at this end anyway. :)

• Upvote 1

On 23/03/2018 at 8:58 PM, Datk94 said:

Kind regards

David

Now. I like this.

Did a survey. Listened to the responses. Took them on board.

And (here's the clincher) came back to reply on the results! I'm not sure that's ever happened with a surveyor before has it?

22 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Now. I like this.

Did a survey. Listened to the responses. Took them on board.

And (here's the clincher) came back to reply on the results! I'm not sure that's ever happened with a surveyor before has it?

I have a vague recollection that somebody else came back with results, quite recently. However, that may be a phantom memory. I 'think' I'm having more and more of them nowadays. They are also known as 'senior moments' I believe. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have a vague recollection that somebody else came back with results, quite recently. However, that may be a phantom memory. I 'think' I'm having more and more of them nowadays. They are also known as 'senior moments' I believe. 

I hit 50 a couple of months ago. You may be spot on there.