Tips, tricks, advice and must do's!

BuzzyLisa

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and Boomtown this year will be my first.  I'm super excited as will be celebrating my 30th with my partner in tow! 

What are your recommendations, tips on what to being, food, camping, loos, terrain etc. 

I'd love to hear the things you wished you had done last time or the things that help make your festival experience the best :D

2 hours ago, BuzzyLisa said:

tips on what to being, food, camping, loos, terrain etc. 

'tips on what to being'?

I'd just be yourself. Other than that I'm pretty sure that not doing so will lead to full on madness. 

I'd find it very handy too if someone could answer your questions, or point to a link. That said, I haven't looked at their website in any detail yet. In fact, my intervention with their website may be restricted to just booking the tickets. Doh!

54 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

'tips on what to being'?

I'd just be yourself. Other than that I'm pretty sure that not doing so will lead to full on madness. 

I'd find it very handy too if someone could answer your questions, or point to a link. That said, I haven't looked at their website in any detail yet. In fact, my intervention with their website may be restricted to just booking the tickets. Doh!

Arg! Rookie error.  I meant bring! Not sure how to amend my comment either.

There is no map up yet and wondered about getting a locker downtown or hilltop... is the locker even worth it. These sort of things.

Obviously I'll just be being my normal self but I'm thinking what else could be a good idea. I'm a planner by nature (damn Virgo!) so happy to hear what people recommend.

I heard something about not camping near the bowl in case it rains.

What camping areas are best and why? 

2 hours ago, BuzzyLisa said:

Arg! Rookie error.  I meant bring! Not sure how to amend my comment either.

There is no map up yet and wondered about getting a locker downtown or hilltop... is the locker even worth it. These sort of things.

Obviously I'll just be being my normal self but I'm thinking what else could be a good idea. I'm a planner by nature (damn Virgo!) so happy to hear what people recommend.

I heard something about not camping near the bowl in case it rains.

What camping areas are best and why? 

Hello BuzzyLisa,

Apologies, for my poor attempt at humour. I too would be very interested to know much of the information that you are seeking, as I haven't been to the festival before either. I mostly like to know what pitfalls there are, if any. I think that they are the most important elements to know. I hadn't thought of lockers but will be taking a campervan, so will rely on it's security. This also means that I'll be in a specific campervan field. One thing I have learned is not to camp / pitch next to a generator that is silent during the day, but in use and noisy at night. 

Anyway, I'm like you in that I'll take in any further bits of information people can throw in. 

Have a great festival. 

7 hours ago, BuzzyLisa said:

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and Boomtown this year will be my first.  I'm super excited as will be celebrating my 30th with my partner in tow! 

What are your recommendations, tips on what to being, food, camping, loos, terrain etc. 

I'd love to hear the things you wished you had done last time or the things that help make your festival experience the best :D

Hi. Congratulations. I'll be celebrating my 40th.

I've only been once  (2015). I think a lot has changed. I'm excited for the map. I can't advise on specifics.

As for any festivals (especially this one) travel as light as possible and bring good footwear.

They may have moved things around but the hills! (I have a fitbit as evidence)

It's an amazing festival. Visually so impressive. :)

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh lord, I hadn't factored in the terrain at all, for some unknown reason. Hills!? I shall have to go in to training. I can't even handle things on the level - so to speak. 

they're serious hills too - unless you stay at the top or bottom of the hill all festival (unlikely!).

On 12/03/2018 at 1:17 PM, BuzzyLisa said:

Hiya! Like miesh said travel as light as possible, boomtown is slightly more difficult for that as the first time I went we had a suitcase just for fancy dress ... food is good, a fair bit of choice but expect festival prices. Camping depends on you, I camp uptown in Wild West, it’s lively, pretty close to the uptown districts but you can still sleep easily enough. The hill ... dear god. One massive hill separates uptown and downtown, factor in for this if there are bands you want to see in both areas. I’ve not bothered with certain bands just because I couldn’t be bothered to walk downtown just to come back up half hour later. 

Apart from that the best advice given to me for this festival was explore everything. Open doors and go through, answer any phones that ring, speak to the actors and get involved in the story. It is the most surreal and amazing festival ever. You’ll have a blast!

• Upvote 2

From what I remember there are steps, only use these if you are in a rush for something you want to see.  Only down, don't climb up.

It is possible to bimble up and down for a fair distance, taking your time and stopping off a long the way.

As I've said this might not still be the case.  I'm enjoying the thought that I sort of know what to expect but so much will be new.

I want to get involved with the story, I didn't do that lad time.

11 hours ago, Miesh said:

From what I remember there are steps, only use these if you are in a rush for something you want to see.  Only down, don't climb up.

It is possible to bimble up and down for a fair distance, taking your time and stopping off a long the way.

As I've said this might not still be the case.  I'm enjoying the thought that I sort of know what to expect but so much will be new.

I want to get involved with the story, I didn't do that lad time.

I like stopping off in speakers corner about halfway up the hill. I caught a really good comedy slam poet there my first year. 

On 22/03/2018 at 7:54 AM, krisroe said:

I like stopping off in speakers corner about halfway up the hill. I caught a really good comedy slam poet there my first year. 

That sounds quite good.. I didn't know there was something sort of halfway.. 

The steepest (lower) part of the hill has nothing on it but great views and some beds to chill out on. About half way up the hill when it becomes less steep their is stuff to do on the route.  Traditionally Mayfair district, Speakers Corner, Tangled Roots and the Raveyard (RIP) were on the hill. Maybe things have changed around though. 

Everything uptown (top of hill) finishes between 11pm and midnight. This is because the sound easily carries into nearby towns and villages from up there. The sound is noticeably turned down after 11pm in uptown for any stages which run until midnight. The staggered uptown finish time is to try and ease the "rush" heading downtown at 11pm.

Downtown in the bowl, the stages are able to run until 4am. All the largest ones normally finish at 2 or 3am though. It's also not impossible to find somewhere playing very low volume music after 4am in downtown if you really are not ready for bed yet.... 

As for where to camp, I like Wild West. It's about a "medium" distance to everything, and half way up the hill. Most campsites are very close to one area, but very far from others. Wild West strikes a balance for me, not that close to anything, but not too far either. Best idea is to camp near the zone that interests you most. 

Edited by Sku
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bronte79 said:

Try every door. go into the forests.

the hill is a killer but you just get on with it. its like the glasto hill up to the sign but shorter. 

its cold at night so pack warm.

grab a passport there from the townhall and go on some missions.... so much fun!!!!! 

Do not drink the tea if its randomly offered to you. lol  xxxxx

You paint a great picture. Looking forward to it more and more now.

1 hour ago, stalemate9 said:

I was always taught you take any drugs you are offered because drugs aren't cheap and you can't really afford not to.

you always hear stories about people being spiked, and i wonder why doesn't this happen to me ? what am I doing wrong?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

I'm thinking of getting a sled to go down the hill.. That way I'll be down town it will also mean that I will be able to get a lift back up..... In an ambulance lol 

My ticketless brother jumped on to the back of an ambulance that was going in to Glastonbury once. All the barriers were lifted for the ambulance, and he got straight in. 

Good luck with the sled, and good luck to the punters that you'll take out of the equation on the way down.

• Upvote 1